PDA

View Full Version : Boat leaning

Seahorse
12-05-2017, 03:20 AM
I just bought a 460 side console. Love the boat and motor but when by myself, boat leans a bit on my driving side. What is best way to solve this. I googled it and I saw mechanical trim tabs that work on spring loaded.
Anyone any thoughts

Cheers

astro66
12-05-2017, 04:40 AM
less doughnuts?

Feral
12-05-2017, 05:51 AM
move your load in your boat to compensate.
If you're mostly in it alone, you can look at moving permanently mounted stuff like your battery, fuel tank, anchors etc, if not, then load esky, water bottle, fishing gear etc on other side of boat to your console. If still not enough, get a 20 litre drum and fill it with water.

Funchy
12-05-2017, 06:17 AM
less doughnuts?

Baahahahahaa....classic

I have a side console and when running solo I tend to move my gear to one side, sit on the left edge of my seat or if its calm stand. The problem becomes the boat listing when at rest and you want to move around.

Seahorse
12-05-2017, 06:32 AM
I just thought set of trim tabs. Non electric, just spring loaded ones. They appear to be ok. Just save moving everything around

StevenM
12-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Side consoles suck and for this reason I will never buy another one. Tiller is what I have now, that or centre console

scottar
12-05-2017, 07:59 AM
Save up and get proper trim tabs. Beneficial in more than one way

ranmar850
12-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Could you really justify the cost of electric tabs on a little 460? Not arguing, just asking, they are pretty expensive items???

scottar
12-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Could you really justify the cost of electric tabs on a little 460? Not arguing, just asking, they are pretty expensive items???

No more expensive than half a Minn Kota or a decent sounder GPS. Guess it's a personal thing and depends just how much you hate driving on a lean or the nose flapping around banging in a bit of chop.

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Lectrotab-Aluminium-Plate-Trim-Tab-Kits.html

gunna
12-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Get a large deckie. Works for me.

Funchy
12-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Get a large deckie. Works for me.

lol...Shano likes this

Seahorse
12-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Yeah scottar, electric is way to go. Whats $900 when boat package was $29500 with 9 inch lowrance sounder. Brand new. The self rising tabs are $269

Berger4
12-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Does it lean under way? I had a 455 quince side console and all I did was put the esky on that side when under way and then push it to the other side when fishing. i also now have a cruise craft side console now and have the batteries permanently on the other side. When i am not on the plane I notice however once under way I hardly notice,but I am a light weight 70kg. Hardly worth putting tabs of any sort on.

Spaniard_King
12-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Weight distribution !!!!

Owen
12-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Dress to the left

Toygut
27-05-2017, 11:40 PM
Mate I discovered this by accident. I was coming back in from a sesh n my 460 renegade side console solo and I notice she was sitting nice and level (for once) on the plane. When I put her on the trailer and drove her to the tap, i noticed my stingray hydrofoil had been snapped on passenger side. I left it for a bit until i took someone out next. Maybe you could replicate this with ally or something. I recommend not drilling into ur rig incase it doesn't work. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

RayLamp
28-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Esky to opposite side, trim your motor properly and if still in doubt, trim tabs.

bluefin59
28-05-2017, 01:41 PM
The battery isn't mounted on the console side of the boat is it ? Other than that shifting the esky around to balance out the boat is my suggestion. In my side console I have twin batteries mounted on the opposite side of the console and I am a reasonably light weight so it balances out nicely. Matt

jackson4300
29-05-2017, 01:15 PM
What about a live bait tank on the other side. Whether you have bait in there or not have it full of water to keep the boat level when travelling.

PixieAU
29-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Take an esky with a couple bags of ice. As the ice melts replace it with equivalent weight of fish for the trip home!

swof63
29-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Take an esky with a couple bags of ice. As the ice melts replace it with equivalent weight of fish for the trip home!

BTW. When the ice melts the resultant water will weigh the same.......
Adding fish will upset the trim you've so carefully engineered, this is why I never add fish to the esky. I tell myself this all the time.....

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

PixieAU
30-05-2017, 06:49 AM
The other good thing about this method is that the more ice you take out, the more fish you bring home.

The Black Unicorn
02-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Hahaha. Don't buy a side console! Biggest waste of space on a 15ft boat and it will ALWAYS lean to the drivers side.

bluefin59
03-06-2017, 04:37 AM
Hahaha. Don't buy a side console! Biggest waste of space on a 15ft boat and it will ALWAYS lean to the drivers side.

Rubbish ,there are PLENTY of positives with side consoles if they are erupt properly . Matt

The Black Unicorn
28-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Rubbish ,there are PLENTY of positives with side consoles if they are erupt properly . Matt
Name 5?????

Shark Poker
28-06-2017, 07:56 PM
there are positives if they erupt?

Seahorse
28-06-2017, 08:18 PM
I just bought side console 460 quinnie renegade. It does lean a bit at 10 knots or less, but can handle that.
Once up on plane , no lean at all.
I like the side console over a tiller.
Got offshore well, plenty room to walk around.
Space in front of console to put esky.
Forward steer, no more sore shoulers at end of day as with tiller.
Good place to put sounder.
Has glovebox.

There u go, 5 reasons for side console

The Black Unicorn
30-06-2017, 06:04 AM
I just bought side console 460 quinnie renegade. It does lean a bit at 10 knots or less, but can handle that.
Once up on plane , no lean at all.
I like the side console over a tiller.
Got offshore well, plenty room to walk around.
Space in front of console to put esky.
Forward steer, no more sore shoulers at end of day as with tiller.
Good place to put sounder.
Has glovebox.

There u go, 5 reasons for side console

Bluefin said "positives". I only see two in your reply. It has a glovebox and your arm doesn't get sore. The rest of your reasons would be better without the console in the way. More space for your esky, more room to walk around without the console in the way, and the sounder argument? I'm pretty sure you would be able to mount a sounder wherever you choose on a ram mount and be able to view it anywhere in the boat. Fixed on a console you can't do this.
I stand by my original statement. Side consoles are the biggest waste of space on a 15ft tinny!!! But I hope you and your one rested arm enjoy it. They are an awesome boat those Renegades. If only they made a 520 tiller.

bluefin59
30-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Bluefin said "positives". I only see two in your reply. It has a glovebox and your arm doesn't get sore. The rest of your reasons would be better without the console in the way. More space for your esky, more room to walk around without the console in the way, and the sounder argument? I'm pretty sure you would be able to mount a sounder wherever you choose on a ram mount and be able to view it anywhere in the boat. Fixed on a console you can't do this.
I stand by my original statement. Side consoles are the biggest waste of space on a 15ft tinny!!! But I hope you and your one rested arm enjoy it. They are an awesome boat those Renegades. If only they made a 520 tiller.

Plenty of positives if you read what's been posted but just because you don't see that as a positive doesn't mean it isn't to others . My reasoning was bad back and shoulder from previous tillers and work especially with a 60 hp , also the cover provided during trips offshore or across the bay during some conditions certainly suits me . My electronics sitting behind my console get minimal salt water over them which IS a problem over the long term , my furuno 620 and my Navman colour gps are still going strong after 10 yrs and 950 hrs and not having any issues unlike a lot of lowrance stuff that's on ram mounts that suffer water ingress problems depending on conditions you fish in .
If you think a console is the greatest waste of time ever that's up to you but don't make crap blanket statements that aren't true , some of us older blokes wouldn't have it any other way so go and enjoy your boat as much as me and my wife have ours . Matt

bluefin59
30-06-2017, 09:57 AM
there are positives if they erupt?

Set up , was what it was supposed to say stupid spell check. Matt

Crunchy
30-06-2017, 01:20 PM

A houseboat would lean to one side with you sitting in it

The Black Unicorn
01-07-2017, 12:46 PM
A houseboat would lean to one side with you sitting in it

Lol. depends if I used that button made famous by yourself.

Seahorse
02-07-2017, 03:47 PM
I was in my mates 509 stacer runabout today and it had a lean at slow speeds.
It was a great boat but still leaned. Once up on plane it was pefect, just like my side renegade

ozscott
21-07-2017, 06:36 AM
As I get older I learn to hate tiller more and more...luckily I don't have to use them much. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Toygut
23-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Hahaha. Don't buy a side console! Biggest waste of space on a 15ft boat and it will ALWAYS lean to the driver's side.

Mate, I gotta say, when solo mud crabbing, side console has the best use of workspace! But yes, the lean can compromise that. Centre consoles seem to lose economy of space in a 15footer (depending on console size I guess). I think tiller will always be the better option that size.