PDA

View Full Version : Drum winch gearbox

Crunchy
06-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Trying to avoid cost of new winch by replacing f&@/d gear box on drum winch. It's a no name brand from what I can see with a "quick" brand motor.....tried googling, nothing much coming up, just hoping the gearboxes are somewhat standard?

scottar
06-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Talk to these guy's - probably won't be able to deal direct but any decent chandlery should be an agent. Might be able to tell you if it is a Quick Marine gearbox or not

http://www.jpwmarine.com.au/products/anchoring-mooring/anchor-winches/anchor-winch-accessories/default.aspx?page=1

(http://www.jpwmarine.com.au/products/anchoring-mooring/anchor-winches/anchor-winch-accessories/default.aspx?page=1)

scottar
06-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Might be worth throwing up some pics too. Someone might recognize it and give you a lead on a manufacturer.

ric
06-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Trying to avoid cost of new winch by replacing f&@/d gear box on drum winch. It's a no name brand from what I can see with a "quick" brand motor.....tried googling, nothing much coming up, just hoping the gearboxes are somewhat standard?

What's actually broken inside the gear case?

chocolatemoose
06-05-2017, 05:16 PM
$889 for a Lonestar Marine Italian gearbox and collar. for drums up to 250mm , CNC billet aluminium collar made in Melbourne. Emergency captive pin release to freespool the drum.

or a brand new GX1 fo $1190
However. what sort of boat is it?

Moose

Moose Marine info@moosemarine.com.au

Crunchy
06-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Talk to these guy's - probably won't be able to deal direct but any decent chandlery should be an agent. Might be able to tell you if it is a Quick Marine gearbox or not

http://www.jpwmarine.com.au/products/anchoring-mooring/anchor-winches/anchor-winch-accessories/default.aspx?page=1

(http://www.jpwmarine.com.au/products/anchoring-mooring/anchor-winches/anchor-winch-accessories/default.aspx?page=1)

yep saw that one Scott, they all capstan style though I think this is a bit of a bastard (in more ways than one 😡) winch just has "quick" brand motor but could find no Quick brand drum winches on the interweb.

Might be worth throwing up some pics too. Someone might recognize it and give you a lead on a manufacturer.

Will do

What's actually broken inside the gear case?

Jammed at Moreton the other day, swearing at it and beating it for three hours didn't free it,😬 been happening for a while but usually it frees up with some encouragement. pulled it out, pulled the motor/gearbox assembly off and connected back up to battery, turns now but grawnchy noises (or should I say crunchy?). I could not get big bearing out to inspect pinion and gear as no idea how to do that without a sledge hammer but that's what I suspect, bit chewed out my guess. The oil, if that's what you could call it, was pretty bloody average looking. Housing corroded anyway so need to replace whole gear box.

$889 for a Lonestar Marine Italian gearbox and collar. for drums up to 250mm , CNC billet aluminium collar made in Melbourne. Emergency captive pin release to freespool the drum.

or a brand new GX1 fo $1190
However. what sort of boat is it?

Moose

Moose Marine info@moosemarine.com.au

Yep last resort but motor and rest of winch is OK (HH650)

scottar
06-05-2017, 07:57 PM
yep saw that one Scott, they all capstan style though I think this is a bit of a bastard (in more ways than one 😡) winch just has "quick" brand motor but could find no Quick brand drum winches on the interweb.

(HH650)

If it is a "bitsa" they could be using a gearbox off a capstan type. Not sure whether there is a "standard" bolt pattern as such so suspected to fit a Quick motor, a Quick gearbox would be the obvious choice.

Other thing that might be worth a shot is a call to Haines Hunter (assume that was what the HH650 meant) to see if the winch was factory fit - hopefully they keep HIN number based records. They might be able to steer you to whomever manufactured it.

Crunchy
06-05-2017, 08:00 PM
I'll see if they would sell me one of their new hard tops too!

scottar
06-05-2017, 08:38 PM
I'll see if they would sell me one of their new hard tops too!

I'm sure they will be happy to oblige.

Crunchy
29-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Big thanks to Stressfree, it wsn't one of their winches but they recognised it from a picture I sent and gave me the details and who to contact, they are so very helpful & nice people! If I ever need a new winch Stressfree it will be....their service and back up would be second to none I imagine.

Turned out to be a "Little Annie" winch, I was most upset as I imagined my winch would have a more manly name like "Big Arnie"or "All mighty winch" but there you go Little Annie it is. After several phone calls and half a dozen e-mails I got a replacement motor and gearbox sent up from Quality Marine Manufacturers - thanks John.

One positive of the whole excersize was fitting a backing plate to the tow eye and the winch, both were held on with washers only, bloody boat shops and their cheap arse shortcuts!

Cheers
C