PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 2100 KC or KC owners in general

Skusto
25-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Hey guys

So yesterday we went and looked at a 2100 kc.

Now when we looked it is in great nick but no electronics and 90 merc 2 strokes on her.

All in all the boat presents well and has a new trailer underneath her. Has been outside most of its life I think by the looks of it but has aged well.

It's an 04 model and main reason for purchase was for the morteon bay chop and better bunk setup.

We have never owned a glass boat let alone a sharkcat, we are upgrading from a 560 Barcrusher and it has been a great boat to own over the years.

So as this is all new is there certain things we should look out for to keep it maintained well?

No bungs??? How do we make sure there is no water ingress in the hull or anything? Found this strange but that's how they were made.

The 90 mercs are strong engines but have 900hours on them and well aren't going to give the range. Is there any knowledge on the best modern engines to put on these? The 90 Suzuki looks the best in terms or weight but should we look at 115hp four strokes?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Ran out in the bay today and well you can see why people like cats, chalk and cheese in ride of the little barcrusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Noelm
25-04-2017, 08:16 PM
90's should be plenty on one of those, not having bungs is strange hey? but that's how they are made, I have heard of a couple that got water in the hull, it just means cutting a hole, and fitting an inspection cover when finished. The ride would be pretty good compared to the Barcrusher, I don't think there is any specific things to look for, they were pretty well made.

Lovey80
25-04-2017, 11:37 PM
I think the one thing that people weren't so keen on with the 2100 over the 1900 and 2400 was the lack of walk around ability. As you'll notice the upper bow section is flared out before it cuts down to the gunwhale rubber which makes walking around the cab to the front a pain and you really have to go through the berth area to access the anchor well. If you're like me and deploy the anchor from the back anyway then that may not bother you.

First thing I would be doing if it didn't have it is to cut holes for stainless steel inspection hatches. Learn from me, don't use ally. The threads have a habit of biting into each other and I had to use a cheater bar to undo them. Which coincidentally spun them out of the floor before the thread gave way. Go stainless and add a bit of grease to the threads before you screw them in.

Dirtyfuzz
26-04-2017, 07:14 AM
Hey mate I have an older 6.2m and they have inspection ports in the floor and does give peace of mind to be able to see what's going on under there and if you decide to fit a through hull transducer you may as well get the holes done at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Skusto
26-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reply's, replacing the Pod hatches as we speak there is little to no water on left side and nice and dry on right, the left hatch was pretty buggered looking so just looks like water was just getting through it.

If water was to get into the hull up further would it run all the way to the back or would it be confined to separate compartments of the boat?

We need to get a little gel coat repair done so will look at installing hatches as recommended at the same time.

Also the boat has old Navman electronics that will be replaced soonish for better gear, currently the transducer looks to be siliconed to the inside right tunnel how hard are these to remove bugger all space to get in so might just leave it in there but also looking to do the same thing with the new sounder with what ever we choose so as we aren't drilling through the sealed hull.

Noelm
26-04-2017, 01:07 PM
I don't think the bulkheads are completely sealed, although most people think they are, so, water should drain to the back. Is the transducer just stuck to the inside of the hull, not protruding through to the outside? if so, you could just leave it there, or try to remove it.

ric
26-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Ran out in the bay today and well you can see why people like cats, chalk and cheese in ride of the little barcrusher.

Was that your first run in a cat?
The more you learn how to drive the better they get!

Skusto
26-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Was that your first run in a cat?
The more you learn how to drive the better they get!

First time driving but not in a cat was the main reason why I like them have been in them before but forgot how well they cut threw the chop!!

It's not that much bigger in length then the bc but looks twice as big on a trailer!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

rosco1974
26-04-2017, 05:18 PM
I know its not the 2100 with 2 strokes but ive got the 1900 now with twin 90 suzukies on it, unreal on fuel and top end speed it bout 35-36 knts with permatrims on the motors without them is 37-38 nts.have heard the 2100s do slightly less speeds with the 90suzukis but still good and similar fuel burn( I know that boat has 90 2 strokes)...I had the 2400 befor this one similar ride just at slower speeds...while I miss the 2400 for long runs the wallet likes the 1900 after a trip out for a day...a normal trip offshore is 140-150k and never used more than 94ltrs on a trip.. I think you would be happy with the 2100

cheers rosco...

Skusto
26-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info Rosco!

Was wondering what the 90 suzukis would get! Might just run the old mercs for a while as they still have a little left in them I reckon and saves having to fork out the 30k to replace them as well.

Anyone no of anyone running 90 etecs on these? Would be interested to know fuel figures.

It would be a toss up between the new 90 Yamaha and the 90 Suzuki at this stage unless the 90 etecs are a fair bit cheaper to make it viable.

Skusto
26-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Sorry also how is everyone's transducers mounted?

Currently the Navman transducer looks to be inside the right hand tunnel and would like to keep it the same is this possible? Looks hard to get too but is the best way by the loooks as you don't drill into the hull that has no bungs!! Ha ha

frosti
26-04-2017, 08:29 PM
i have a kc1900 with 2 x 90hp suzuki 4strokes . i cant fault them and they are awesome on fuel . i was going to get the kc2100 new from the factory and were recommended to get suzuki 115hp on it . they recon it needed the bigger engines to perform to full potential . also 115hp are available in counter rotating props . my boat is fully sealed as it was made to be with no inspection hatches or bungs and have no issues so far .

Flex
27-04-2017, 04:54 AM
I'd definitely go 115's on the 2100. No point having a cat if you can use its full speed potential. 90hp is perfect for the 1900/5.2 and the 2100 is a noticeable size difference. So 115 with counter rotating is def best option.

As for beneath floor. Check your rear bulkhead and see if it has tiny home at the bottom towards the next forward bulkhead. For some reason some KC had sealed compartments and others all had drain holes in them

perko
27-04-2017, 05:45 PM
I have had a 5.2 and two 2400's. If you can tow a 2400 go with it. Pretty good value and plenty to choose from. Love the 2400's. Fast, economical and plenty of room.

Dantren
27-04-2017, 08:04 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/186881-Kevlacat-1900-and-2100
Jerk n wined used to have a 2100, some good videos on his youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCshJc1VIjPFTCLOdlzx7Yw
Pretty confident he had 90 Etecs on his 2100, not that there is anything wrong with that....The 90's were a good motor.
Hope this helps.....

mace01
28-04-2017, 07:36 AM
I'd definitely go 115's on the 2100. No point having a cat if you can use its full speed potential. 90hp is perfect for the 1900/5.2 and the 2100 is a noticeable size difference. So 115 with counter rotating is def best option.

If you do go to a 115, go the Mercury 115 Command Thrust, perfect for that job. An incredibly fuel efficient big displacement donk and lightest in it's class! Mat.

Skusto
03-05-2017, 05:56 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/186881-Kevlacat-1900-and-2100
Jerk n wined used to have a 2100, some good videos on his youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCshJc1VIjPFTCLOdlzx7Yw
Pretty confident he had 90 Etecs on his 2100, not that there is anything wrong with that....The 90's were a good motor.
Hope this helps..... Thanks for that, have had a look at his You Tube vids and has a few ideas there id like to talk to him about, do you know if he is still active on Ausfish? i have sent him a PM but no reply yet, would be interested to know how the 90 etecs went on it with fuel consumption etc.

Skusto
03-05-2017, 05:57 PM
If you do go to a 115, go the Mercury 115 Command Thrust, perfect for that job. An incredibly fuel efficient big displacement donk and lightest in it's class! Mat. Yes im thinking these would be the engines for this hull it would either be 90 etecs or the 115 Mercs.

No Excuses
03-05-2017, 08:04 PM
I have a 5.2 Kevlacat with 90 zukes for sale if interested.

Skusto
03-05-2017, 08:09 PM
No sorry we bought the 2100. Wanted bunks. Cheers

ric
03-05-2017, 09:44 PM
No sorry we bought the 2100. Wanted bunks. Cheers

Congrats on the purchase!
Will be a hell of a difference from the 18' bar crusher.

Skusto
03-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Congrats on the purchase!
Will be a hell of a difference from the 18' bar crusher. Cheers Ric, we are happy enough with the purchase we think we done the right thing time will tell hey! ha ha But one thing I am really happy with is how easy it is to drive, We took the chance Monday just gone to head outside Moreton.

Forecast was for 10-15 and was sort of hoping the dropping wind would come a little earlier then Monday night. But to no avail she blew of the cape 20-25kts all Sunday night!

We decided we would still make the run over and out to see how it went.

What can i say from being in a mono Hull my whole life and all the talk about learning to drive cats i cant believe how easy they are to get used to, now im not saying im driving it perfect but the boat had no bad manners at all! she cut through the previous night 20kn across the bay quite well we were sitting on 20kts the whole way over and i can say the BC wouldnt be sitting there. pushed all the way outside to the 130m mark quite well now to say there was never a jar would be a lie but very few and far between and it done well sitting on 25km through the big swell and chop.

Had a fish and raced home across the bay at 50km for a quick trip home late arvo, we couldnt really fault it all day at all and has eased the nerves alot! Sure i will keep learning on how the boat handles but all the talk about having to know how to drive a cat in my eyes is a little bit put on.

Lovey80
04-05-2017, 03:12 AM
Skusto, glad you are the converted. You'll never go back now.

She won't ride like that in all conditions. Sometimes less wind and wave height at a shorter interval can really give you the shits if you want to travel in a certain direction. You'll find a lot of the time in certain sea states that both hulls hitting the water at the same time will bang a lot. It's not like the BC but you know the hull can perform better. This is where the learning comes in to get the cat walking to smooth the rode out.

Other days that would have you practicing your best squat routine in the BC you'll find yourself lying back and driving with your feet at 25-30kts.