PDA

View Full Version : Water beading on clears and perspex windows

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2017, 07:53 AM
If I get any salt water on my clears or perspex windows it beads up and makes it very hard to see through in the early hours or dusk.

I've been told to avoid chemicals on clears and windscreen. Both are brand new. What's the solution?

Latest issue was crossing seaway at dawn. Spooned a wave then couldn't see clearly which made crossing harder.

mace01
24-04-2017, 08:31 AM
definitely avoid chemicals. ruined a good set of clears about 15 years ago with the car windscreen stuff. Ended up looking through milk.I find the only way (other than now I've got a centre console) was to just drive standing up looking through the zippered section above the windscreen. Many bar crossings at SWR...Mat.

tenzing
24-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Don't agree about chemicals.
Have regularly used vuplex on my vybak clears
About 7 yrs old and look new.
Keep your hands off them and just rinse with the hose .
No sponge

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

gofishin
24-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Don't agree about chemicals.
Have regularly used vuplex on my vybak clears
About 7 yrs old and look new.
Keep your hands off them and just rinse with the hose .
No sponge...
Another vote for vuplex on clears Julian - been using it for ~8.5yrs on my current set and they still look like new. There is another similar product, different name, but can't recall ATM. If your boat is in the weather, with clears up, they will obviously still deteriorate, but vuplex will slow the aging process. It doesn't shed water as good as Rain-X, but helps a lot.

Like tenzing, i don't use soap on them (well maybe once a yr for road grime/bugs after a 1770 haul etc - if the vuplex doesn't clean the bugs off), and then only a gentle car wash with warm water.

For your acrylic windscreen, Rain-X now have a special product developed for all types of plastic windscreens, and will be the best product to use.
https://www.rainx.com/product/plastic-water-repellent/rain-x-plastic-water-repellent/#.WP1mrWnfqJA

Not sure if this is ok for clears though.
cheers
Brendon

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the informative replies. Boat is stored outsidr uncovered for now. I only clean clears and windows with microfiber cloth. Normal hosing I found wouldn't remove the salt.

Will try both products recommended. Thanks again!

BigE
24-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Another vote for Vuplex

BigE

shakey55
24-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Another vote for vuplex on clears Julian - been using it for ~8.5yrs on my current set and they still look like new. There is another similar product, different name, but can't recall ATM. If your boat is in the weather, with clears up, they will obviously still deteriorate, but vuplex will slow the aging process. It doesn't shed water as good as Rain-X, but helps a lot.

Like tenzing, i don't use soap on them (well maybe once a yr for road grime/bugs after a 1770 haul etc - if the vuplex doesn't clean the bugs off), and then only a gentle car wash with warm water.

For your acrylic windscreen, Rain-X now have a special product developed for all types of plastic windscreens, and will be the best product to use.
https://www.rainx.com/product/plastic-water-repellent/rain-x-plastic-water-repellent/#.WP1mrWnfqJA

Not sure if this is ok for clears though.
cheers
Brendon

This was a question that I was about to ask, as I have new bimini and clears. Thanks for informative answer.

One additional question :-

My boat is stored with bimini down and clears off.

What is the best way to store clears ?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

BigE
24-04-2017, 02:18 PM
I find rolled works well. definitely not folded for any length of time.

BigE

scottar
24-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Vuplex or the other one is Plexus - 6 of one half a dozen of the other in terms of effectiveness. Been using either since I got my rig with no further degradation than what was already there due to sun damage (storage outside uncovered). They get a soap up with wash and wax after every trip and then application of polish before the next trip once in the shed and dry - glass screens get Rainex.

Blackened
24-04-2017, 05:10 PM
G'day

This is what I use on all of my clients clears and strataglass -

imar #302, amazing polish specially formulated for them. once a year for trailerboats is fine.
imar #301 every few months will suffice, you may use plexus or vuplex in ts place.

Only wash with ph neutral gentle wash and wax detergents if necessary, other than that, volumes of fresh water is better. High pressure should be avoided.

Anything too acidic or alkaline will damage clears, especially sweat and suncream, both classic ways to destroy them quickly.

If you're out on the water and want to get rid of the salt, don't rub them, just take a few bottles of fresh water and rinse those areas throughout the day if needed.

Dave.

juggernaut
25-04-2017, 01:48 AM
I use the Imar products mentioned above plus the Imar yacht soap (401) to wash the boat and clears on a regular basis.

mace01
28-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Just bought some Vuplex after what yu guys have said...better bloody work eh! Mat.

tenzing
28-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Use a microfibre "glass cloth"
Wash any shit off with water and let them dry first.
Then tell every person on the boat to keep their stinking dirty fingers off them!
Dont even roll them up . Just dont touch them if you dont have to.

If you go on a road trip give them a couple of coats of vuplex before you drive .
You will be able to hose most of the critters off when you get there, then give them another go to clean them up.
1 minute easy job, makes your day soooo much nicer!

juggernaut
28-04-2017, 08:38 PM
A few tips re cleaning

http://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/news/2017/boating-advice-maintaining-your-clears-58827/