PDA

View Full Version : To PAINT OR VINYL WRAP

DATCOL
22-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Hi All looking for advice from those that have done a vinyl wrap, How Is the vinyl standing up to the use, Would you use vinyl again or not, I was told that it is OK on the flat straight sections but curdles up around fittings & corners
Is it a better job to 2 PAC paint it, The boat is a fiberglass hull Looking for any feed back good or bad on this subject

COL

DaveR
23-04-2017, 12:51 PM
It's hard to make general statements as there are many types/grades of vinyl and different skill levels among installers. I've had my fibreglass hull wrapped since brand new, which has been a bit over 2 years now. It has stood up perfectly, still looks brand new. It's an Avery Dennison vinyl and was applied by an installer who regularly does marine work. It's important to have it done by someone with experience.

I will definitely be wrapping all future boats. I wrapped my current hull to preserve the factory gelcoat underneath. To date, the vinyl has actually stood up better than my old boat's black gelcoat. It's a surprisingly tough material. I've had a few marks on it which have buffed out. When it comes time to sell, the new owner can peel back the vinyl and the gelcoat underneath will still be brand new.

chocolatemoose
23-04-2017, 01:34 PM
ive wrapped many boats, for clients and my own. good vinyl will stand the test of time for years depending on location. a great paint job.. ooooh thats something special! however... a good paintjob that will look at as good as some of the better wraps will be very very costly!

BigE
24-04-2017, 07:04 AM
go the wrap.

BigE

rexaway123
25-04-2017, 04:35 PM
I very happy with my wrap holding up and finish it made
custom one off job

DATCOL
25-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Rexaway How old is the wrap on your boat

Thanks COL

PROS
26-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Rexaway How old is the wrap on your boat

Thanks COL

ditto
also is that oxidation around the area where the reflection from the white fender is? or it looks like that when wet?

rexaway123
27-04-2017, 07:02 AM
About a year old
not a mark on it
still full mirror gloss

boat had just come out of water in this pic, that is just dried salt above the mud guard

Watto79
27-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Love that Noosa cat, nice rig ;)