PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis De-Sal units

Lovey80
15-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Wondering if anyone has built their own Reverse Osmosis Desalination unit for either a land or boat application.

looking at some of the setups online, they don't look too complicated to build. I'm wondering what the overall cost would be for the parts and filters and how many litres of sea water the RO filter would produce before needing to be replaced? I'm guessing this would be the highest on-going maintenance cost?

i see there is some commercially available units out there but they seem very expensive for what they are.

Any info would be appreciated.

inveratta
15-04-2017, 09:55 PM
as a victorian....the mere mention of desal causes money to start leaching out of our pockets...but I am curious....what exactly do you want to do ?

Lovey80
15-04-2017, 10:37 PM
I was thinking that a simple and far more inexpensive unit could be installed into a larger trailer boat if below deck fresh water storage was not enough for those extended trips.

chocolatemoose
15-04-2017, 11:44 PM
http://www.rainmandesal.com/electric-watermaker-12vdc.html i would jsut be using a rainmaker system.

Lovey80
16-04-2017, 12:13 AM
http://www.rainmandesal.com/electric-watermaker-12vdc.html i would jsut be using a rainmaker system.

Ive emailed them to get some prices. Have you got a list?

The Mad Cat
16-04-2017, 07:24 AM
www.h2oonthego.com.au

TMC

Dignity
16-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Mmmm! Draws 32 amps, youd want some pretty solid house batteries to run one.

chocolatemoose
16-04-2017, 09:55 AM
or buy the petrol version.
i have a price list at the office . presently i have my feet up on the baitboard atm. :)

ric
16-04-2017, 01:45 PM
How much water do you calculate you'll need lovey?
For us, 4 blokes onboard for 2 nights, includes hot showers for everyone, washing dishes and a spray down of the deck in the afternoons is only about 50-60l. We got big water capacity and have never used it all.

Lovey80
17-04-2017, 01:59 AM
All those systems you're looking at 5k operational. 5k is not a viable option just to have less hassle in carrying large amounts of fresh water. I was thinking if I could build a unit for under a grand or there about some it would be worth investigating.

Something like 20l/h I reckon would be enough.

Kondo 1
17-04-2017, 08:42 PM
I could be wrong but last time I looked into desal in a trailer boat it wasn't overly feasible (at least for me) because they need regular use to maintain serviceability. It may have been once a week, or once a month or something and at the time I couldn't guarantee I could do that so went another way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

baitable
18-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Absolutely correct - no way is it feasible nor do you carry the power requirements for the de sal process. Ockams razor mate, you're thinking way too much into it. Things working against you. 1. power requirements of a generator, 2. weight of equipment and filters, 3. budget... suddenly a water tank aint looking to bad. I run a 7m cat and still would not consider a de sal plant. I've dealt with de sal units on dive boats and they're temperamental beasts

NomadNoosa
18-04-2017, 08:12 PM
There's a thread on Seabreeze Forum from a bloke who built one for his yacht thats probably worth a read.............sounded like a PIA to build and run.