PDA

View Full Version : Honda Outboards ? Good and bad points ?

Lancair
28-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Hey, just wondering what the general consensus is on Honda outboards ?

Considering a package deal with a new 175 on the back.

Thoughts ? ? ?

WildFishExpeditions
28-03-2017, 05:40 PM
I dont think there are any bad points with a honda. Also dont think they are any better than anything else. Price is probably the only bad point.

Noelm
28-03-2017, 06:00 PM
I guess you have never actually priced one then?

Lancair
28-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Don't have a local dealer and cant find the prices online. Economy on the 200hp isnt as good as the advertised economy of the Yamaha 200 4cyl that was my preferred engine choice. Are they more expensive ?

blacklab
28-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Only one thing stopping me from buying a Honda for my current rebuild, is weight !
I would have one in a heart beat. But Honda are a lot heavier in the range Im looking at.
From feedback from a few blokes I know with them, all positive, they love them.
Cant comment on pricing, never got that far..............

Noelm
28-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Anyone think that 7 year warranty could be considered a good point?

ozynorts
29-03-2017, 06:56 AM
Only one thing stopping me from buying a Honda for my current rebuild, is weight !
I would have one in a heart beat. But Honda are a lot heavier in the range Im looking at.
From feedback from a few blokes I know with them, all positive, they love them.
Cant comment on pricing, never got that far.............. What was the hp range you were looking at mate out of interest?

Funchy
29-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Had a 60hp on my last tinny. Never missed a beat, loved it. 640 trouble free hours

GBC
29-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Had a 50 and got a 75 in the family. Nothing but good news.

blacklab
29-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Hi ozynorts, I was looking at the 115 hp, which Honda is well over 200 kg. The motor that I removed was a two stroke at 150 kg
So I'm trying to at least keep the weight of upgrading to a four stroke close.
The merc 115 is around 160 kg, or the Suzuki 115 or 140 is around 185 kg.

Flex
29-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Like the Suzuki the Honda has the lean burn and variable timing, only two motors that do I think.
Generally a bit more economical given same cc size motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Noelm
29-03-2017, 07:52 PM
The difference being, Honda have had it for years! I have said this before, Honda do everything extremely well, but just don't make noises about it, they seem to be a very conservative company, doing things right, year after year, but don't tell anyone!

scottar
29-03-2017, 09:33 PM
I recently found the only bit of bad press about Honda I have ever managed to locate. I also found out that instead of doing what so many manufacturers do (keeping quiet and hoping the majority of engines make it through warranty) , they ponied up and issued a recall. Apart from the weight penalty in certain horsepower brackets, I would own one in a heart beat.

GBC
30-03-2017, 07:22 AM
The 115 Honda is a derated 150 with almost 1/3 more displacement than any other engine in that rating. It is going to make very easy power for a very long time. You aren't going to find a less stressed setup.
Kind of explains the extra k.g.'s too.

Crunchy
30-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Only had a honda for 6 months and its my first one (225HP), my take is its reliable, powerful, perhaps bit heavy but that might be a good thing in terms of robustness and it doesn't matter if the boat designed for it, bit of an ugly shape, lot's of built in fail-safes so if something did go wrong its hard to kill it permamently, ahead of its time technology wise but other brands may have caught up by now, and as Scott said, very importantly the 1 or 2 issues that have cropped up on some models over the years that needed fixing Honda have done the right thing even extending warranties, whereas if you take Yam...and perhaps a few other recent issues on some brands they have been appalling in their response even trying to hidie issue(s).

Despite mine having no issues at all and the motor being 7 years old on the next service it gets the upgrage to the O2 sensor and a new computer because well that's how Honda roll...great after sales service in my book so I would happily stick with honda into the future.

Barry Ehsman
30-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Had a 60hp on my last tinny. Never missed a beat, loved it. 640 trouble free hours
A lot more on it now Funchy & hasn't missed a beat, love it.

Spaniard_King
30-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Don't have a local dealer and cant find the prices online. Economy on the 200hp isnt as good as the advertised economy of the Yamaha 200 4cyl that was my preferred engine choice. Are they more expensive ?

Just because it has 200HP on the cowling don't think for 1 minute it will perform as another brand with 200 on it especially when you are talking about 4 and 6 cylinder engines

deegee
30-03-2017, 02:33 PM
I had a Honda 45 for about 15/16 years (lost count). I will admit that for a lot of that time it only saw fairly light use, but over those many years it never let me down. Always started promply, always ran smooth and quiet.

Of course when I repowered I never for one moment considered any other brand.

WildFishExpeditions
30-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Yes the 4 cylinder will burn less fuel, but wont have the torque of the 6 cylinder. They only make 200hp at full noise, its the torque in the mid range and cruising rpm thats important.

Just because it has 200HP on the cowling don't think for 1 minute it will perform as another brand with 200 on it especially when you are talking about 4 and 6 cylinder engines

Spaniard_King
01-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Yes the 4 cylinder will burn less fuel, but wont have the torque of the 6 cylinder. They only make 200hp at full noise, its the torque in the mid range and cruising rpm thats important.

using a well loaded boat in most conditions I would put money on the v6 having better fuel economy.

Lancair
02-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Just an update, taking into consideration about the advantage of a V6 and large displacement for more torque etc,
Ive decided to go with a Yamaha 225 V6, 4.2L. Huge displacement and hugely underpowered when the same block is capable of the 300HP. Going to be very lazy motor and very economical. Will have the torque for getting up and going quickly then just amble along sipping at fuel pushing a 6m boat offshore.