PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 150 owners.

BigE
26-03-2017, 08:56 PM
New boat is close to being delivered just wondering what other 150 Suzuki owners are running in regards to prop size and what performance you are getting, all hulls will be different but I'm interested in the overall performance and fuel burn as well as where your "sweet spot is" when cruising.

BigE

Monza
27-03-2017, 02:12 PM
All depends on your boat size and weight. Best size for my 6m with a 175 was 19"x14. You need to size so motor will reach peak revs WOT. Best economy was under 4500rpm

willfraser
27-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Hey mate I've got a 2016 150 on mine with about 60 hours I'm averaging 2km too the litre pushing a 6m plate boat, it does get thirsty in rough seas but with the digital display and the econ average mode you can work out what rev range and trim settings it likes pretty quickly, it won't let you down, cheers. Will.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

WildFishExpeditions
27-03-2017, 05:46 PM
don't you trust me Big E ;)

BigE
27-03-2017, 07:00 PM
don't you trust me Big E ;)

Come WF your a mercury owner ::) once i own a suzuki :o i wont be allowed to play with you any more !!! ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

I actually think the new merc will have the edge so it will be good to swap notes.

BigE

WildFishExpeditions
27-03-2017, 07:34 PM
why do you think the merc will have the edge? I dont think there would be much in it as they are similar CC. I am betting the 21P prop will suit the 150 suzuki, If I am wrong you can let me know and ill give you a free pack of squidgee's!

BigE
01-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Boat has arrived ( same time as the cyclone ::) ) has been proped with a 15.25 x 19R SS prop, just need some weather and some time off to get it in the water for a run.
Any one else running this pitch on a 150 suzuki? ( how does it go?)

BigE

Monza
02-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Boat has arrived ( same time as the cyclone ::) ) has been proped with a 15.25 x 19R SS prop, just need some weather and some time off to get it in the water for a run.
Any one else running this pitch on a 150 suzuki? ( how does it go?)

BigE

I tried a 15. Greate 'bite' and responsiveness. But could get the top speed I wanted.

tenzing
02-04-2017, 08:41 PM
I Reckon you'll be close
Its just revs. medium load , flat water, gotta get that 6100.
If not go smaller.
Dont worry about what other people run. sometimes it seems seems the laws of physics don't seem to apply.
Get that height right and swap props till you are happy.
The speed is what it is. great to win the race home , but grip, economy ,slippage in swell all contribute to the one you pick.
Use your phone to record the details.
Nice to have it right first time but even better to know that you kept the one you liked best.
Cheers
Brendan

BigE
03-04-2017, 06:31 PM
thanks Monza , what did you prop did you end up with ? and how did they compare?

Thanks Tenzing , hope so will be err ing on the side of cruising fuel economy and ability to carry a load in a sea.

BigE

tenzing
20-04-2017, 10:00 PM
So What is the prop situation Mr E?

robcam
21-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Following as well. Keen to know how the 150 zuk went.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

BigE
21-04-2017, 08:53 PM
For those following punched out 309kms for a burn of 173 ltrs (at the bowser) so we are looking at 1.78 km to the ltr

conditions were less than idea but not rough (15 - 20s) and i was moving up and down the revs from 3500 - 4500 rpm changing the rev range regularly as the engine only had 3hrs on it at the start of the run and is still not fully run in.

not bad but still short on where i wanted to be so i will get 20hrs on it and see if it improves and then if iam still chasing improvement i look at proping options.

Boat is excellent in a sea and carries a lot of trim in without hurting economy and uses it length well running best when trimmed flat as possible seems to have a incredible amount of lift from the planing strakes very efficient. we were runing 3 big blokes and all the gear to fish overnight.

BigE

tenzing
21-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Mate you've got to be happy with those figures under load in a bit of slop.
You are not even staying in a cruising range
Lets see what WOT looks like next time.

BigE
21-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks Tenzing looking at a run on sunday , confident it will pull to 6000 rpm but don't think it will be fast I'm thinking 65 - 70 KPH will pull it up probably closer to 65 than 70 with only 19P.

the mid range thrust in a swell is really good so the slower top end may be a worth while comprise, it held the load on a swell really well.

bigE

JulianDeMarchi
22-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Not sure if it helps you... I get 40knts on my 555HC with the 150 yammie spinning 17p prop @ 6000.

The hulls are amazing in chop man. I was outside the goldie today with 6 POBs and it handled the massive swells and wind perfectly for it's size.

BigE
22-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Thanks Julian

Yammie will be spinning a different ratio gearbox so this will affect the speed.

BigE

tenzing
22-04-2017, 08:20 PM
now Mr E ,
Lets make the assumption for a moment that both the yammy and the suzy 150 are exactly 150 hp and your prop slip is the same as his ( 5% as it turns out at WOT), then with the same hull you should be able to match that speed ( in theory)
You would of course need to spin a 21 p prop to 6000 rpm (He only has a 2.0:1 reduction gearbox.)
So you want to be able to hit the limiter with the 19 tomorrow ( or Whenever) then try a bigger prop if you can.
Max Revs, Thats it.

( of course if your slip is less then you beat him back to the ramp)

In reality its the cruising grip and economy that"ll make you happy.

Cheers

BigE
24-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Was a big rough offshore yesterday - boat handle it well but realistically we should have stayed in the bay.

the Suzuki hit the 20 hr mark and the gauge gave the change oil message so will take it in for the 1st service (($$)) , manage to give it a spin in close and she spins the 19 to 6000 no problem speed is 65kms @ 6000 so i think i will try a bit more prop. tail was a bit skatey in the rough down hill so maybe a prop with some more grip as well.
Any thoughts /advice welcome.

BigE

Noelm
24-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Was 6,000 max, or did it have a bit more??

ric
24-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Was a big rough offshore yesterday - boat handle it well but realistically we should have stayed in the bay.

the Suzuki hit the 20 hr mark and the gauge gave the change oil message so will take it in for the 1st service (($$)) , manage to give it a spin in close and she spins the 19 to 6000 no problem speed is 65kms @ 6000 so i think i will try a bit more prop. tail was a bit skatey in the rough down hill so maybe a prop with some more grip as well.

BigE

What do you mean by skatey? Is the prop blowing out at the top of the swell? or are you losing a bit of steering Downhill?

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2017, 03:33 PM
now Mr E ,
Lets make the assumption for a moment that both the yammy and the suzy 150 are exactly 150 hp and your prop slip is the same as his ( 5% as it turns out at WOT), then with the same hull you should be able to match that speed ( in theory)
You would of course need to spin a 21 p prop to 6000 rpm (He only has a 2.0:1 reduction gearbox.)
So you want to be able to hit the limiter with the 19 tomorrow ( or Whenever) then try a bigger prop if you can.
Max Revs, Thats it.

( of course if your slip is less then you beat him back to the ramp)

In reality its the cruising grip and economy that"ll make you happy.

Cheers

Mines only 5.5mtrs compared to BigE's. The 2200 is a 6mtr boat.

robcam
24-04-2017, 06:21 PM

BigE

Mate, your slip numbers look good.

tenzing
24-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Mr E
Was 6000 all she had?
Bearing in mind less than ideal situation.

BigE
24-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Ric Nolem Tenzing and Julian
Conditions weren't ideal but it seemed to get to 6000 without to much fuss hard to gauge if it had much more in it in the conditions, but i don't think it would pull another 500 RPM.
when i say skatey just unsettled running down hill not broachy just wobbley in the back ( have had the same feel in a Cat ). by down hill the swell was about 2.5 and the wind was in the opposite direction so coming down the front face was a bit of a ride at times if you mis-timed the chop coming the other way.

Rob Cam
the slip figures don't surprise me 15.25 dia is a lot of bite, and the blade has a nice rake on it.

BigE

ozynorts
25-04-2017, 08:08 AM
One thing I found with my Yalta was that you needed to trim the nose up when running with the swell as it tended to bow steer a bit.

seastrength
25-04-2017, 12:05 PM
For those following punched out 309kms for a burn of 173 ltrs (at the bowser) so we are looking at 1.78 km to the ltr

conditions were less than idea but not rough (15 - 20s) and i was moving up and down the revs from 3500 - 4500 rpm changing the rev range regularly as the engine only had 3hrs on it at the start of the run and is still not fully run in.

not bad but still short on where i wanted to be so i will get 20hrs on it and see if it improves and then if iam still chasing improvement i look at proping options.

Boat is excellent in a sea and carries a lot of trim in without hurting economy and uses it length well running best when trimmed flat as possible seems to have a incredible amount of lift from the planing strakes very efficient. we were runing 3 big blokes and all the gear to fish overnight.

BigE

Figures look good to me BigE. I'm running a 151/4 x 19R SS prop on my 6.2 CC platey with 150 Suzie. Best performance was 58kph at 6100 rpm. Similar fuel consumption. Seas choppy with12-15 knots breeze from memory.

tenzing
25-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Mate you really need to do the prop test under test conditions to get a set of figures you can compare.
If you dont hit the limiter on this length three blade , then you cant go to a longer prop, and you need to drop an inch or so off if you go to a 4 blade.
you need to find some flat water and wind her right out.
Trim it out in the process and see what it will really do.
Maybe talk to solas and get a few to compare on the same day. They are really good to deal with
Cheers

BigE
25-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Tenzing

Will be doing a base line run after the 20 hr service with a few props
Have the factory SS 19P prop and a mate has a alloy 21P prop i can try.
Will see if I can rustle up any other props to try on the same day

BigE