PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean 26 v 7.5m Plate alloy

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 01:48 AM
In the next couple of years I will be looking to move upto a bigger boat. I have 2 basic options both with big pro's and con's. Just curious to see what other punters would choose. I am looking at both the Caribbean 26 (used) or a new 7.5m plate alloy walk around cab. These are the pro's and con's that I have come up with. Interested in opinions. Boat would be used for east coast game fishing and some weekend trips with friends.

Caribbean 26 (or other simiilar style game boats of the same size)
Pro's
- handle rougher seas better, with the size and weight of the hull
- more comfortable for sleeping over/camping, crusiing, cooking etc
- a very big boat for the price +$60,000 for a 10-15 year old model

Con's
- not towable with an ordinary 4x4
- mooring costs and anti fouling
- 10 years old or so
- heavy on fuel with 4.3L merc cruisers
- limited fishing areas because it cant be towed.

7.5M plate alloy
Pro's
- towable to other fishing areas
- twin 150-200hp, more economical
- custom built
- no mooring costs
- 360 degree fishing from walk around cab

- Con's
- not as comfy for over night trips
- more expensive to buy and build
- wouldnt have the handing of the heavier glass boat in bigger seas.

I am also looking at other options, and I love the boat I have so I am not rushing into anything. It's just a plan for the near future. thoughts welcome.

Flex
19-03-2017, 04:21 AM
Where do you fish normally? and how far offshore do you go? I think that's the biggest factor in what sort of boat you need
Are your weekend trips about fishing or just cruising around with family only going 20km offshore. bigger is better in this case for comfort and fuel cost isn't much when doing small trips with family.
Some people are willing to go out in 10-15.s all day and fish. Others wont go unless its 10k or less. If there's a marlin comp on and its 15knots being in a platey all day would suck, Or if your running 120km offshore a plate boat can be very tiresome if it blows up just a little.
Having said that a 7m plate boat would go pretty damn well..
If your not going in hardcore comp mode, you can choose your weather a bit more and I think the platey is a better option. Plus less cost for maintenance, better resale, towable around the country and better economy.

Id personally never own a moored boat. The maintenance is a major hassle which makes boating not enjoyable.
Plus carting all your gear up and down the marina jetty is a huge pain in the ass. Much easier to load your boat that's parked next to your shed then tow it.

Or you could have best of boat worlds and buy a cat...::)

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 05:17 AM
Yeah i agree with a lot of that. I fish the shelf mostly for marlin and beyond for tuna. My current 6.6m glass boat does it easy and i usually fish 15 knots or under. The caribbean would be more to keep the girlfriend happy as it would be a more comfortable boat. Agree about the mooring and the maintenance required.

Vromme
19-03-2017, 06:43 AM
Looks like it comes down too - too moor or not to moor.....

What is your current boat?

Personally Id go with the biggest glass boat I would be prepared/capable to tow. I have been bashed about in too many plateys in the past and dont want to go back there. Mooring although convenient is way too restrictive unless you are completely happy to essentially fish from one location (or do big sea trips).

Towing big rigs gets exy esp if you need to upgrade tow vehicle (then use that as your daily driver - just so you can tow a boat).

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 06:49 AM
Yes all true. Current boat is a yalta 22ft. Fantastic boat! I agree about mooring. I have never liked the idea of it really. Only seeing the price of second hand caribbean 26'ers has made me re-think it. Maybe a bigger glass boat would also be an option. I have always liked the idea of building a plate boat and I like walk around cabs, which arnt always easy to find in glass. but there are lots of options.

my current boat is 2 tonne and I tow it with a territory - the greatest tow vehicle ever built.

Looks like it comes down too - too moor or not to moor.....

What is your current boat?

Personally Id go with the biggest glass boat I would be prepared/capable to tow. I have been bashed about in too many plateys in the past and dont want to go back there. Mooring although convenient is way too restrictive unless you are completely happy to essentially fish from one location (or do big sea trips).

Towing big rigs gets exy esp if you need to upgrade tow vehicle (then use that as your daily driver - just so you can tow a boat).

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 07:02 AM
This is the model I like

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/used/OAG-AD-13490536/2015-PLATE-ALLOY-SPORTFISHER/?cr=3&psq=%28%28Make%3D%5BPLATE%20ALLOY%5D%26%28%28%28Si loType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%7CS iloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType %3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5B Private%20used%20boats%5D%29%29%26Service%3DBoatsa les%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

scottar
19-03-2017, 08:24 AM
There is no reason a 7.5 metre platey has to be any less comfortable than the berty if you design it right (centre cab might be a bit tricky though) but there will most likely be a pretty reasonable price discrepancy between the two - more so once you replace that magnificent tow vehicle with at least a 200 series landcruiser that will probably require a GVM and possibly tow rating upgrade as well (allow about $7Kfor upgrades) if your rig goes over 3.5t loaded. If it goes over 4t you are in American ute territory.

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 08:28 AM
The 7.5 plate boat would be around 3 tonne. I wouldn't even bother thinking about towing a caribbean 26.

There is no reason a 7.5 metre platey has to be any less comfortable than the berty if you design it right (centre cab might be a bit tricky though) but there will most likely be a pretty reasonable price discrepancy between the two - more so once you replace that magnificent tow vehicle with at least a 200 series landcruiser that will probably require a GVM and possibly tow rating upgrade as well (allow about $7Kfor upgrades) if your rig goes over 3.5t loaded. If it goes over 4t you are in American ute territory.

scottar
19-03-2017, 08:49 AM
My brother in laws halfcab platey that size comes in just under the 3.5 on an alloy trailer and I am not sure whether that is with full fuel and water. He had to get the GVM upgrade but not the towing upgrade done on his cruiser or he couldn't take passengers and remain legal. If you are traveling close to budget on these sort of projects with absolutely no room for further expenditure, just keep in mind that a lot of builders don't have exact weights with custom rigs and being a couple of hundred kilos out is an easy feat.

FisHard
19-03-2017, 09:55 AM
I would (and want to eventually) but an old Blackfin 24 or 26, for say $20-30k, then give it a vomplete Reno for $100k (still under the cost of a custom 7.5 platey with twins) and keep it on a dry dock thing in the marina.
Walk around, glass, set up how you want, and if you want to run it for a few months out of Airlie Beach or Townsville, you throw it on a truck.
Big trailers and the hassle of towing them, should be a negative in your equation too. Sure it's ok when they are new, but...

juggernaut
19-03-2017, 11:14 AM
My mate has a similar decision as he was looking at a Mustang 28 footer on a trailer (pleasure boat). Firstly, anything around the 26-28 ft mark is going to need a serious 4wd/light truck and they don't last forever - so factor that into your costs. Also I wouldn't buy a boat with a leg and have it sitting in the water on a mooring or in a pen. The leg will only add to your maintenance costs although they are more efficient/faster than shafts. I'd rather reliability over fuel economy and downtime.

My advice to him was to get a smaller more trailerable boat or go a larger boat with shafts and have it sitting on a mooring/pen as the costs of a mooring or pen are probably going to be the same with the slightly bigger boat with better accomodation/accessories/facilities. In the case of a moored boat you will also need some way of getting out to it i.e. inflatable. There's no clear answer around the size you are looking at and hence my recommendation to go smaller more trailable or larger moored/penned. Or stay with what you currently have.

Big glass boats do ride nicely and you'll be able to use it more often in more conditions. :)

ozynorts
19-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Why are you comparing a 7.9m (26ft) glass to a 7.5m (24'6) palte boat..........
If the smaller plate boat is big enough than surely a 24ft glass boat is too?
There are a number of Bertram 25's for sale at a much lower price.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/results/?BoatType=Power&Make=Bertram&SiloType_Demo-and-near-new-boats=true&SiloType_Dealer-new-boats=true&SiloType_Dealer-used-boats=true&SiloType_Private-used-boats=true&LengthInFeet_Min=23&LengthInFeet_Max=25

ozynorts
19-03-2017, 11:48 AM
This is the model I like

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/used/OAG-AD-13490536/2015-PLATE-ALLOY-SPORTFISHER/?cr=3&psq=%28%28Make%3D%5BPLATE%20ALLOY%5D%26%28%28%28Si loType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%7CS iloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType %3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5B Private%20used%20boats%5D%29%29%26Service%3DBoatsa les%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

A bit bigger than 7.5m isn't it?

Alchemy
19-03-2017, 11:53 AM
This is the model I like

I doubt this boat would be under 3500kg. My boat with 500 fuel and 100 water and no ice, fishing gear, food etc is over 3500kg. That is on an alloy trailer and the hull is only 5mm.

Good luck getting a tow upgrade these days. I had it done on a 4.2TD Patrol about 6 years ago, but I understand this practice has now been outlawed. Also, the GVM increase doesn't help that much if your BMT is close on your tow vehicle limit as your GCM doesn't change. Scott, if you know of someone doing tow upgrades legally then I would be interested to know.

I would (and want to eventually) but an old Blackfin 24 or 26, for say $20-30k, then give it a vomplete Reno for $100k (still under the cost of a custom 7.5 platey with twins) and keep it on a dry dock thing in the marina.
Walk around, glass, set up how you want, and if you want to run it for a few months out of Airlie Beach or Townsville, you throw it on a truck.
Big trailers and the hassle of towing them, should be a negative in your equation too. Sure it's ok when they are new, but...

I don't get the concern of towing big boats. Sure, you need to maintain your trailer and have the appropriate tow vehicle but once those items are covered it is not an issue. I have towed my boat from Townsville to Karumba twice, plus Brisbane to Townsville and back, plus numerous other highway trips up north. I am hoping to go back to Townsville to fish for a couple of weeks later this year and have no concerns at all with the tow. Admittedly I have upgraded from the 4.2 patrol to a 2004 F250, but the Patrol did it well, whereas the F250 eats it!

Re the Caribbean - i think one of these would be a great boat. Perhaps repower with a single diesel and ditch the twin petrols?

The comments about the ride of plateys is a generalisation. I'm sure there are platey's out there that do ride poorly due to hull shape, and then there are the ones that ride better than some glass boats. Just like some glass boats ride better than others.

scottar
19-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Good luck getting a tow upgrade these days. I had it done on a 4.2TD Patrol about 6 years ago, but I understand this practice has now been outlawed. Also, the GVM increase doesn't help that much if your BMT is close on your tow vehicle limit as your GCM doesn't change. Scott, if you know of someone doing tow upgrades legally then I would be interested to know.

Lovell's suspension have apparently just released or will be releasing a second stage manufacturer upgrade for the 200 Series Landcruiser. Two parts to it - GVM upgrade to 3800kg is the first, towing upgrade to 4000kg and GCM upgrade is the second part. Reports have it at a $7000 exercise. Not sure what the requirements are in relation to pre and post registration.

http://www.motoring.com.au/four-tonne-towing-for-landcruiser-103187/

Alchemy
19-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Very interesting Scott. Thanks!

Lovell's suspension have apparently just released or will be releasing a second stage manufacturer upgrade for the 200 Series Landcruiser. Two parts to it - GVM upgrade to 3800kg is the first, towing upgrade to 4000kg and GCM upgrade is the second part. Reports have it at a $7000 exercise. Not sure what the requirements are in relation to pre and post registration.

http://www.motoring.com.au/four-tonne-towing-for-landcruiser-103187/

Kondo 1
19-03-2017, 02:02 PM
I have the Lovells upgrade, definitely 3800kg GVM, 4000kg Towing and 7800 GCM.

But I had to buy a 2004 F250 to tow the new boat as it got fat, 7m Platey and it is 4200kg dry with gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

scottar
19-03-2017, 02:25 PM
I have the Lovells upgrade, definitely 3800kg GVM, 4000kg Towing and 7800 GCM.

But I had to buy a 2004 F250 to tow the new boat as it got fat, 7m Platey and it is 4200kg dry with gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wow. She is big boned - even more so for a centre console. All the toys come at a price. Goes to show that the weighbridge is the only way to get an accurate picture.

GBC
19-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Twin sterndrives on a mooring will kill you. They will always let you down. Plenty of yank fishing boats and cats in that size running outboards which you can trim right out of the water. Not many shaft 26's.
Something like a Boston whaler 255/275 conquest self drains, needs little in the way of tarps or covers, and trims the motors out of the water, will sit happily on a mooring being neglected as they all are.

Flex
19-03-2017, 05:55 PM
The caribbean would be more to keep the girlfriend happy as it would be a more comfortable boat.

Leave the girlfriend at home and all your upgrade problems disappear:)

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

scottar
19-03-2017, 05:59 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

along with half the rest of your stuff if you've been living together long enough........... Good luck.

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 07:22 PM
They are just the models i like. I dont think there is enough fishing room in a berti 23, smaller beam etc compared to the other models. If im going to have a boat moored and stuck in the water, may as well have the model i want. I looked at the berti 25 though. The age put me off.

Why are you comparing a 7.9m (26ft) glass to a 7.5m (24'6) palte boat..........
If the smaller plate boat is big enough than surely a 24ft glass boat is too?
There are a number of Bertram 25's for sale at a much lower price.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/results/?BoatType=Power&Make=Bertram&SiloType_Demo-and-near-new-boats=true&SiloType_Dealer-new-boats=true&SiloType_Dealer-used-boats=true&SiloType_Private-used-boats=true&LengthInFeet_Min=23&LengthInFeet_Max=25

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Good advice.

Twin sterndrives on a mooring will kill you. They will always let you down. Plenty of yank fishing boats and cats in that size running outboards which you can trim right out of the water. Not many shaft 26's.
Something like a Boston whaler 255/275 conquest self drains, needs little in the way of tarps or covers, and trims the motors out of the water, will sit happily on a mooring being neglected as they all are.

WildFishExpeditions
19-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Good advice again!

Alchemy
19-03-2017, 08:58 PM

I reckon boats with stern drives should live on trailers, well away from any salt water.

Any_Weather
20-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Gday guys, yes along with Kondo, I also have the Lovells 3800kg gvm upgrade and the 4000kg tow upgrade. As most probably already know, the gvm upgrade is full suspension replacement which I had done pre rego to allow it to be federally compliant however the 4000kg tow upgrade is simply a new coupling that is fitted to the trailer by the supplier and a new hitch inserted into the current tow assembly. I think the dollars involved for the tow upgrade is mainly for the compliance certificate. The tow upgrade was done post rego but is also federally compliant. The gcm is 7800kg as stated on the engineer certificate supplied with the upgrades. The total cost is around $7000.
Just keep in mind that the trailer needs to have a 4000kg gvm also which may require modifications. This then also needs to have a roadworthy certificate each year for rego.
I have a 7.8m Riptide hardtop that came from the builder straight after fitout and weighed 3320kg on a weighbridge. Once sinkers, anchors, general fishing crap and some ice is added, I think I would be pushing the 3500kg so went the upgrades so I could also carry SOME fuel.

Cheers
Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

TruBlue
20-03-2017, 06:39 PM
http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/bertram-caribbean-31-flybridge-twin-diesel-shaft-drive-with-2-cabins/199893

If you are looking at keeping a 26 moored maybe look at a 31 or 32 with shaft drive and it will still be way cheaper to buy than a 7.5 platey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WildFishExpeditions
20-03-2017, 07:10 PM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-4109646/1987-Bertram-31-FLYBRIDGE-CRUISER/?cr=1&psq=%28%28%28Make%3DBertram%26Model%3D%5B31%20FLYB RIDGE%20CRUISER%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDem o%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDe aler%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20 used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used% 20boats%5D%29%29%26Service%3DBoatsales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

maybe something like this. only an hour away from my house too. Think the fuel bill would be deviant thought with the twin 5.7L petrol's though.

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/bertram-caribbean-31-flybridge-twin-diesel-shaft-drive-with-2-cabins/199893

If you are looking at keeping a 26 moored maybe look at a 31 or 32 with shaft drive and it will still be way cheaper to buy than a 7.5 platey

TruBlue
20-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Nope get 1 with diesel's fuel economy much better

WildFishExpeditions
20-03-2017, 07:26 PM
yes. then the purchase price just keeps going up and up. its a slippery slope.

Moejoes
20-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Been there done that.
Had a 1991 32ft searay with twins back in 2000.
Cost me $10k a year to just have it sit in the marina, service, etc etc before I even put fuel in it.......
I even slipped it at Monty's, the cheapest slipping in Brisvegas and done the antifouling, leg servicing every year myself.
Expect to pay somewhere between 10 to 20k per year these days, especially if you are looking at 20 plus years old.
Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it and had a great time in it for 2 years but the novelty soon wears off.
You'll never fish in anything over 20 plus knots regardless of the sizes your are talking.
Was a good learning curve. That's why I went back to a large trailer boat.
Still costs me about $5k a year in maintenance, trailer bearings brakes, roadworthy, servicing etc.
Plus the misses stays home which is an added bonus......Ooooops I actually said that out aloud :P
At the end of the day it boils down to personal preference and only you can make that decision.

Cheers Rob.

TruBlue
20-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Been there done that.
Had a 1991 32ft searay with twins back in 2000.
Cost me $10k a year to just have it sit in the marina, service, etc etc before I even put fuel in it.......
I even slipped it at Monty's, the cheapest slipping in Brisvegas and done the antifouling, leg servicing every year myself.
Expect to pay somewhere between 10 to 20k per year these days, especially if you are looking at 20 plus years old.
Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it and had a great time in it for 2 years but the novelty soon wears off.
You'll never fish in anything over 20 plus knots regardless of the sizes your are talking.
Was a good learning curve. That's why I went back to a large trailer boat.
Still costs me about $5k a year in maintenance, trailer bearings brakes, roadworthy, servicing etc.
Plus the misses stays home which is an added bonus......Ooooops I actually said that out aloud :P
At the end of the day it boils down to personal preference and only you can make that decision.

Cheers Rob.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/8a01dc3586fbe9a582c37d425f97f970.jpg

What can I say Rob, I just wanted a bigger pie oven lol

Moejoes
20-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Gezz, nice, but I can say, I see you delivering plenty more pizzas at night :P

What can I say Rob, I just wanted a bigger pie oven lol

TruBlue
20-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Gezz, nice, but I can say, I see you delivering plenty more pizzas at night :P

Nope got the girl back to work these days so no more pizza for me mate [emoji106]

Moejoes
20-03-2017, 09:33 PM
You got two of these to get you along ;D
This what you meant by twin setup?
One for you and the missus.
Interesting to know your top end speed.....

Back in Black - Tony has a similar setup on his Sailfish :P

WildFishExpeditions
21-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Good point about the cost of the big boat and the associated costs. How many hours a year are you doing on your trailer boat to pay $5000 a year in maintenance??? I do 200 hours a year and my maintenance cost would be under $1000.

Moejoes
21-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Trailer roadworthy 4.5ton $ 220
2.5ton bearing kits x 4 $ 500
Brake pads $ 80
Grease $ 40
Tyres wear n tear $800 divide 5years $ 160
Servicing @ $10 per hr for twins x 150hrs per year $ 1500
Insurance $ 2160 Realised probably still paying insurance for a new $200k plus boat that should be now about $140k
Trailer Rego $ 196
Other misc. $ 100

Total $ 4956 PA

Plus add the ongoing costs of your safety gear, flares, fire extinguisher, epirb, boat rego, general boat maintenance which will easily cost you another $1000 plus a year.
Even add the cost of replacing your $15k trailer after 12 years, another $1250 per year in costs.
All before you even put fuel in it.

Then do the sums on a moored boat.
Mooring fees
Yearly antifouling
Leg servicing
Motor servicing
Insurance
Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major

I'm sure Scottar will offer to drive down to Vic and do all this for free cause he is a nice guy :P

Good point about the cost of the big boat and the associated costs. How many hours a year are you doing on your trailer boat to pay $5000 a year in maintenance??? I do 200 hours a year and my maintenance cost would be under $1000.

GBC
21-03-2017, 08:13 PM
The rule of thumb is 10% of the boat's value a year gets burned in ownership and marina fees. It seems pretty accurate over the long term.

WildFishExpeditions
21-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Yeah ok. I thought you were talking strictly maintenance, not insurance, rego and depreciation of your trailer, safety gear etc.
Do you really have to replace the bearings every year on your trailer at $500? Sounds a bit excessive.

I dunno how much all mine would cost. not much
$50 trailer rego
$70 boat rego
$15 grease
$660 for 2 outboard services
$15 for flares ($45 / 3 years)
$500 insurance
tires I dont know, I expect them to last a long long time, as I only tow about 5000km a year. same with brake pads and wheel bearings, replace when needed, every few years or so. the bigger the boat the bigger the cost.

Trailer roadworthy 4.5ton $ 220
2.5ton bearing kits x 4 $ 500
Brake pads $ 80
Grease $ 40
Tyres wear n tear $800 divide 5years $ 160
Servicing @ $10 per hr for twins x 150hrs per year $ 1500
Insurance $ 2160 Realised probably still paying insurance for a new $200k plus boat that should be now about $140k
Trailer Rego $ 196
Other misc. $ 100

Total $ 4956 PA

Plus add the ongoing costs of your safety gear, flares, fire extinguisher, epirb, boat rego, general boat maintenance which will easily cost you another $1000 plus a year.
Even add the cost of replacing your $15k trailer after 12 years, another $1250 per year in costs.
All before you even put fuel in it.

Mooring fees
Yearly antifouling
Leg servicing
Motor servicing
Insurance
Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major

I'm sure Scottar will offer to drive down to Vic and do all this for free cause he is a nice guy :P

juggernaut
21-03-2017, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=Moejoes;1629424
[/QUOTE]

I have a cruiser in a pen

Mooring fees: 15 metre pen circa $7,300 p.a with unmetered water/electicity floating jettys including finger jetty - use of showers/washer dryer, etc I also bought a mooring for $10K - annual rego and diving inspection circa $750
Yearly antifouling: every 18 months - circa $6,000 using Micron 66 - prop speed on all props/shafts/rudders/underwater exhausts/trim tabs - compound & polish above/below rub rail using Dulon/ anodes / lift and 1 week on hard
Leg servicing n/a
Motor servicing circa $800 in fluids filters and parts for a pair of 8.1 Mercruisers with ZF transmissions - do own servicing
Insurance $2,000 for boat valued just over $200K
Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major - see above but a pair of cutlass bearings currently being replaced on 11 year old boat $1,300.

scottar
21-03-2017, 09:23 PM

:speechless:............. Might be safer than getting it towed up.

Moejoes
21-03-2017, 09:37 PM
I look for reliability and hassle free towing.
Tow 1000kms each trip and do it 10 to 20 times a year and have never ever been stuck on the side of a highway, touch wood.
I know I'll get a year out of the bearings maybe 1.5years if I want to run the risk of calipers seizing up and snapping off bolts.
I found if I do it yearly, everything comes apart easily, regrease and have trouble free running for the next 12 months.
2.5ton bearing collars don't knock out of hubs as easy as standard Holden / Ford bearings do, especially on the side of a road.
Tyres after 4 to 5 years still have 70% tread but seem to get rounded across the flat part of tread over time. That's when you'll then run the risk of blow outs.
You will probably get 20 years out of your tyres if you only travel in 50 / 60km zones to the ramp and back and probably don't even need air in them ;D
Boat & trailer rego seems cheap in Vic.

Aussie123
21-03-2017, 09:48 PM
What sort of Cutlass Bearings are you running for that sort of cost.

I have a cruiser in a pen

Mooring fees: 15 metre pen circa $7,300 p.a with unmetered water/electicity floating jettys including finger jetty - use of showers/washer dryer, etc I also bought a mooring for $10K - annual rego and diving inspection circa $750
Yearly antifouling: every 18 months - circa $6,000 using Micron 66 - prop speed on all props/shafts/rudders/underwater exhausts/trim tabs - compound & polish above/below rub rail using Dulon/ anodes / lift and 1 week on hard
Leg servicing n/a
Motor servicing circa $800 in fluids filters and parts for a pair of 8.1 Mercruisers with ZF transmissions - do own servicing
Insurance $2,000 for boat valued just over $200K
Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major - see above but a pair of cutlass bearings currently being replaced on 11 year old boat $1,300.

juggernaut
21-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Aussie - Includes cost of fitting as well as the bearings. I must admit I did think of borrowing a Strut Pro and doing it myself - but timing isn't great as busy at work at the moment plus I like to keep the economy going :P

Aussie123
21-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Sure is a lot of money but I guess there is slip and hard stand fees in that cost.
I always did my own so it was never an expensive job.

Aussie - Includes cost of fitting as well as the bearings. I must admit I did think of borrowing a Strut Pro and doing it myself - but timing isn't great as busy at work at the moment plus I like to keep the economy going :P

juggernaut
21-03-2017, 10:46 PM
No slip or handstand costs in that cost. I should clarify the cost was an estimate should the bearings or props not come off easily - yet to receive the bill as the strut bearings were supposed to be changed today.