PDA

View Full Version : Moejoes Gets Another Mod.

Moejoes
26-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Hi All,
I have finally decided to lower my engines due to me struggling to trim & hold the nose up without the props cavitating in that dreaded following sea.
Fitted perma trims hoping that would help. They did actually help stabilise the boat and one thing I did notice was they were about 40 to 50mm out of the water when sitting on 30knots.
Motors too high ?????
This then caused the problem as to how I would lower the motors :-??????
As when they were originally fitted they were mounted at the highest hole giving me no adjustment down >:(.
I decided that I would remove the motors and rip 57mm off the top of the transom, weld existing holes and drill new mounting holes, which now will give me further adjustment of 3 more holes down and adjustment back up to where they were plus 1 hole higher should it not work out.
Spent all weekend cutting, shutting and welding the transom.
Painting started and hopefully will have engines back on by next weekend for sea trials.
The plan is to start at the lowest setting which drops the motors by 57mm then work up hole by hole.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers Rob.

scottar
26-02-2017, 08:29 PM
Should have just fitted a couple of G2 300's Rob. They love to run high with the new set back mount.;D

Noelm
26-02-2017, 08:33 PM
The motors are the right shaft length I assume? seems like quite a lot to have to cut off, but as long as it fixes the problem, sometimes you just have to do "stuff"

scottar
26-02-2017, 08:36 PM
The motors are the right shaft length I assume?

They are now.

Back In Black
26-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I offered to help Rob put with any technical info he may have needed, but for some reason he didn't reply??;D;D

Hope its simpler than your trailer hook up thingy with shackles, tie downs, chains, tension adjusters etc:o:o

Moejoes
26-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Should have just fitted a couple of G2 300's Rob. They love to run high with the new set back mount.;D

Thought about jack plates and new motors, but hey........ you know I love to do things the hard way ;D

Moejoes
26-02-2017, 09:06 PM
The motors are the right shaft length I assume? seems like quite a lot to have to cut off, but as long as it fixes the problem, sometimes you just have to do "stuff"

Yes they are Noelm
I have a large cabin which is quite heavy.
It was either cut something off the cabin or the transom .......I opted for the easiest ;;)
The motors were originally set up as recommended but had no allowance for adjustment down if needed.
I think I need to drop 2 holes 38mm to get it right but will go 3 for now to see what changes are made.
All trial and error and heaps of time wasted.

Moejoes
26-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Sorry Tony, was just walking inside out of range.

I'll let you decide that one Tony.
All I know is I have a sore fingers with a nice gash in my index finger after my 5" cutting disc disintegrated :-[

Yeah, I offered to help Rob put with any technical info he may have needed, but for some reason he didn't reply??;D;D

Hope its simpler than your trailer hook up thingy with shackles, tie downs, chains, tension adjusters etc:o:o

scottar
26-02-2017, 10:51 PM

Two shackles, two engines - same same but different - and you wondered why he didn't call;D.

scottar
26-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Sorry Tony, was just walking inside out of range.

I'll let you decide that one Tony.
All I know is I have a sore fingers with a nice gash in my index finger after my 5" cutting disc disintegrated :-[

I was always lead to believe that was a possible outcome using standard disks with aluminium Rob and was a no no. Of course the blades the boat builders use simply remove the finger so I'm sure they are any safer. I use a dual saw for ally now wherever possible - goes great.

Moejoes
27-02-2017, 06:09 PM
I was always lead to believe that was a possible outcome using standard disks with aluminium Rob and was a no no. Of course the blades the boat builders use simply remove the finger so I'm sure they are any safer. I use a dual saw for ally now wherever possible - goes great.

Funny, I cut the whole boat using those disc's and never had a problem... ;D
If they broke they would generally snap off around the shaft and just fall off in one piece.
Should put the guard back on hey ..............:o

Moejoes
27-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Tony, I decided to paint my transom in your favourite colour...
Pink......just for you :thumbsup:

hookinin
27-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Hmm nice gash and pink transom..... are you trying to tell us something:o

scottar
27-02-2017, 07:12 PM

Errrrrrrr............::)

PROS
27-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Funny, I cut the whole boat using those disc's and never had a problem... ;D
If they broke they would generally snap off around the shaft and just fall off in one piece.

Don't get me started working on the boat and cutting aluminium sheet with grinder
Doc did a bloody good job putting it back together

Moejoes
27-02-2017, 09:24 PM
That's a nasty looking gash....Ooooch!!!!!!!

adam69
28-02-2017, 12:11 PM
That's a nasty looking gash....Ooooch!!!!!!!

that's what he said ;D::P

Moejoes
28-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Sorry Tony, couldn't handle the thought of that pink on the back so painted it white instead .....;D

Tony, I decided to paint my transom in your favourite colour...
Pink......just for you :thumbsup:

Back In Black
28-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Sorry Tony, couldn't handle the thought of that pink on the back so painted it white instead .....;D

Nancy, Nancy Nancy..................

Back In Black
28-02-2017, 07:30 PM
There are some obvious underlying issues Rob, wanting deep down to paint Moejoes pink. I know, we have discussed this in the past, but I thought I had managed to change your mind about it, but your old issues are obviously resurfacing:o:o:o

Its not going to do your image any good at all, pulling up to the 1770 ramp in a hot pink Moejoes, wearing your purple singlet you are so fond of, the one with love hearts all over it.

I know I threw it out, but you went & replaced it???? What is wrong with you man?? You know the blokes will talk about you!!:gossip:

Seriously buddy, seek professional help for all our sakes;D;D;D

Moejoes
28-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Tony, you know the reason I only wear the hot purple singlet with love hearts is because you bring it along and insist I wear it.
Seriously, you need to keep your fantasies in the closet.......;D
By the way, that slight explosion in the cabin last trip with you was not a poofters love call...............:LMAO:

There are some obvious underlying issues Rob, wanting deep down to paint Moejoes pink. I know, we have discussed this in the past, but I thought I had managed to change your mind about it, but your old issues are obviously resurfacing:o:o:o

Its not going to do your image any good at all, pulling up to the 1770 ramp in a hot pink Moejoes, wearing your purple singlet you are so fond of, the one with love hearts all over it.

I know I threw it out, but you went & replaced it???? What is wrong with you man?? You know the blokes will talk about you!!:gossip:

Seriously buddy, seek professional help for all our sakes;D;D;D

tenzing
28-02-2017, 09:07 PM
WOW, Thats a cracker.
Nerves intact?

Moejoes
01-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Final coat on ;D
Now let paint harden a couple days before refitting motors Saturday.

Moejoes
04-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Motors finally refitted.
Ended up dropping 2 holes 38mm instead of 3 holes 57mm.
Took for a run out the front of Bribie this afternoon.
Definitely had more trim.
Old WOT was 6350rpm - 43.8knots
WOT Now 6150rpm - 39 to 40 knots
5500 rpm still around 36knots
4500 rpm seemed the same at 29knots with fuel consumption similar 0.9 to 1 litre per km.
I'm thinking the motors may need to come up 1 hole which would put the motors at 1 hole lower than when I first started.
But before I do that I need to take it on a few big trips first to see how she performs fully loaded and in rougher conditions before I'll now for sure.
I also disconnected the tie bar between the 2 motors and put the boat on the plane to get the motors in optimum alignment with water flow under the boat.
The motors were 20mm toe out, so adjusted and refitted tie bar.
For some strange reason this took 1 knot off my WOT from 40 to 39knts - weird????

Will keep you posted.

Cheers Rob

scottar
04-03-2017, 07:46 PM
I see your problem Rob - they are mounted sideways:P

Chimo
05-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Rob

We went thru the toe in toe out thing a few years ago on here and the conclusion as I read it was toe in for twin set ups on mono hulls.

I ended up setting mine twins to have approx 15mm toe in on the Vagabond which seems to be OK

Cheers
Chimo