PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right???

wayno60
23-02-2017, 11:20 AM
I want to wack up a carport for my boat to live under.

I rang one of our Building Development guy at work and he told me that Council don't have anything to do with that anymore, I need to get onto a certifier which could cost between 5 to 10k to put up a $1500 carport

Please tell me that's wrong...

GBC
23-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Wrong.

Approach your local certifier and have a chat - they will quote you for the work and will probably recommend a local drafty to do the drawings as well - drafting and certifying a lean to should be $1 - 2k max. depending on the level of info you can give them including existing plans etc.

You will need to get plans drawn which don't have to be too detailed, but do have to nominate section sizes and tie down details etc., the certifier will then issue a building approval with conditions attached and you go ahead and build the thing - assuming you can and understand building/plumbing regs. The certifier will need to do inspections of the footings prior to pouring and of the finished structure. Job done.
It has always been like this (even when council controlled it), and it was never going to cost $1500 to do legally.

PixieAU
23-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Some structures don't require a building approval such as a small garden shed. Check your council website for self approvals. Attached to house is probably not self approval.

PixieAU
23-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Sorry. ' self assessment '

GBC
23-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Some structures don't require a building approval such as a small garden shed. Check your council website for self approvals. Attached to house is probably not self approval.

Sub 10m2 free standing is an exemption in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayno60
23-02-2017, 12:22 PM
well im looking at 4m wide and 6m long, attach to an already existing carport

wayno60
23-02-2017, 12:31 PM

Gon Fishun
23-02-2017, 01:43 PM
What about these? Portable as well.

wayno60
23-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Mate where did you find them???

Gon Fishun
23-02-2017, 04:23 PM
They advertise up around Caboolture and the sunny coast . I will try to find some more info for you. Cheers.

More info. www.shadesheds.com.au

Transportable Shade Sheds
Free call. 1300 667 433
Head Office
77 Caloundra Street
Landsborough, Queensland
Australia 4550
Phone
Ph +61 7 5494 8027
Fax
Fax + 61 7 5494 8029

ITZADOOZEE
23-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Mate where did you find them???

I am an agent for them and can look after you.
www.fnqshade.com.au (http://www.fnqshade.com.au)
www.facebook.com/fnqshadenshelter/ (http://www.facebook.com/fnqshadenshelter/)

0459 555 612

Can be made to any size, length, width and height.
Being as they are transportable, they do not necessarily require going through council.

scottar
23-02-2017, 07:22 PM
The only way the certifier will cost that much is if you are designing it yourself and they have to go through it and make sure it's right. If you go with a recognized kit provider they will have people that handle it for them at a fraction of the cost - even if you put it up yourself.

tunaticer
23-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Just go to Stratco or similar, they handle the certifiers in the costs.
Most of their designs are pre-approved and just need allotting to your council lot.

Dignity
23-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Sub 10m2 free standing is an exemption in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bloody small boat to fit under 10 Sq M

Dignity
23-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Not sure the costs your way but Sunshine Coat a certifier will cost around $900 but if there are exemptions required this will go up, e.g. generally you can have up to 9m along your side boundary but any more you will then need to look for an exemption if you go above a certain height. Find a local certifier and talk to them, most are quite approachable.

Triple
23-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Plenty of those portable shade sheds on ebay and gumtree too. Quick to install and come in quite a few different sizes and colours

Dignity
24-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Do the shade sheds and other such structures have a wind rating, also you'll probably find that as you won't be allowed to enclose your carport all the dirt and rain will blow in. I put the heaviest duty shade cloth along the side of mine and both dirt and rain still gets in with monotonous regularity, I will replace it with the plastic backed cloth but how long will it last. A cheaper alternative is a good boat over although I've seen a few that would approach the cost of a shade shed and it doesn't have the convenience factor.

GBC
24-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Engineering details from their website.
You blokes have rocks in your heads if you think that just because they are 'removeable' or 'transportable' that they don't require certification.

Any solid roof 10m2 and over needs certification. You 'might' get away with a non waterproof shadecloth one but I'd doubt it.

Wind regions A, B and CTerrain category 2
Level of importance 2 as per AS/NZS 1170.2.2011.

ITZADOOZEE
27-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Do the shade sheds and other such structures have a wind rating...

we have cyclonic rated and non-cyclonic rated, the cyclonic rating is to C2 category 2., for regions that require it.

Almako
27-02-2017, 06:59 PM
By the looks of your sketch you'll be up for a boundary relaxation and if it's enclosed you'll likely need to adhere to a FRL Fire resistance level.
I have two quotes for my shed and it's around 2k, and the plans were $1k

scuttlebutt
27-02-2017, 08:29 PM
What about a shade sail? I put one up at my last house, did the job well, cost about 2k (custom made, including fittings, 2 poles cemented into the ground), no certifying (or at least I didn't get any). The canvas just recently carked it after approx 10yrs of tropical sunshine. Also survived a couple of cyclones in that time. Easy to take down if plans change or for new owners. Might be worth considering.

the gecko
06-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Gidday mate,
All commercial carport builders will include the certifcation costs in the quote.

If you are going to do it as 'owner builder' then you will need a private certifier from the yellow pages who will charge $200-400 for the process.
Then you will need some plans drawn up for the certifier to lodge with council, so you might need a draftsman, or perhaps your hand drawn plans will be ok, ask the certifier.
He lodges the plan and it get approved before you start, then he comes out and certifies the job at the end.

Depending on your attitude, many people do the job without approval, and never get it checked by council. If you are comfortable that it meets the minimum W44 standard for wind rating, so that it wont blow away, then many guys just do it.
In 20 years of real estate, I have never seen a buyer check council records for a carport approval during a sale process. At resale time, all they do is get a Builders Report to check that the structure actually meets normal building specs.

FarQue
06-04-2017, 10:26 PM
I want to wack up a carport for my boat to live under.

I rang one of our Building Development guy at work and he told me that Council don't have anything to do with that anymore, I need to get onto a certifier which could cost between 5 to 10k to put up a $1500 carport

Please tell me that's wrong...

Hi Wayno,

I'm a Building Certifier based on the Sunny Coast.
Drop me an email and I will head you in the right direction.
Cheers
Farque

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)