PDA

View Full Version : Bertram / Caribbean, how ecenomical

Corry
19-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Been getting keen on an older style flybridge boat. Looking at the early Caribbean versions.
Would prefer the diesel power, mainly to retain ecenomical running. Reading a few ads on some for sale atm, what are the petrol models like.
Most seem to have the V6 or V8 petrol motors, does anyone have experience with them and know what sort of economy they have?

I'm looking around the 26ft mark, would love to keep it trailerable.

Last Bertram I was on was a 40ft, twin diesels, and burnt around 20l an hour each engine, that for what we do isn't justifiable.

Thoughts....

Cheers
Corry

Sent from my SM-T810 using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

scottar
19-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Hideous apparently. Manly - Cathedrals return and a bit of running around was apparently about 400 litres in a 26 with shafts one owner told me. This may have reduced once he fitted a pair of tabs the size of coffee tables to get the bow down so it wasn't pushing water at economical revs.Would be sticking to the diesels personally.

Noelm
19-02-2017, 01:19 PM
I don't think V8 petrol, 25' glass boats and economy all go together! I guess if driven "conservativly" fuel consumption will be OK, a good mate of mine had a big Haines with a 350 chev stern drive, and after a full days game fishing, including driving flat out to the shelf and home, trolling all day and so on, time came to fill up with fuel, and it seemed like you might die of old age before the pump "clicked off" the wallet was certainly lighter, even after splitting 4 ways....

Alchemy
19-02-2017, 02:12 PM
A mate of mine has a 23 foot bridge deck style trailer boat with a 5 litre V8 Mercruiser. 270hp I think. He told how much fuel he used on a bay trip, and I did a quick comparison with what I use in my 7.5m platey with a diesel 240 hp, and it was half of what his petrol V8 used!

RayLamp
19-02-2017, 04:28 PM
You could go down this path.... http://www.hooklinesinker.tv/unleash-the-beast-project-boat-2009/

chwh01
19-02-2017, 06:10 PM
I currently own a Caribbean 26 with twin V6 200 hp fuel injected Mercruisers that holds 500 litres of fuel. I guess it is all relevant to what you want from a boat.
I recently did a trip from Manly to the 33's, 29,s 1 1/2 hours trolling down the 100 M line, Wave bouy off Pt. lookout, Cathedrals and 7's.
Used around 220 litres. I cruise at 22 - 25 knots. I have had the boat to 34 knots briefly to try it out and am sure would be using plenty at this speed.
All the guys that come fishing with me comment on the comfort, fishing room, storage etc.
You are talking 3.5 - 4 tonnes of boat so it's not going to run for nothing but make up for it in other areas.
If you go to the next level, say 35 foot, you are still looking at a cruising range of around 10 hours at 22 - 25 knots but holds 1200 - 1500 litres of fuel

Chris

TruBlue
20-02-2017, 06:09 PM
My Dad had a 26 open with 4.3 merc cruisers and it was a great boat but If 40 L/H isn't justifiable don't go petrol mate because if it isn't drinking that at cruise it will be dam close and I'm not sure the 26 will be trailerable in most states without a permit with a 3m beam
duo prop legs are more economical than shaft drive but if the boat you choose is to stay in the water I think shafts are the go
As for 22-25kn in a 35 Chris that would wot not cruise
Cruise would be more like 14-17kn
The 32 Bertram with shafts are a nice boat and the cost of keepin it or a 26 in the water are the same
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

juggernaut
20-02-2017, 09:49 PM
You could go down this path.... http://www.hooklinesinker.tv/unleash-the-beast-project-boat-2009/

Wow surprised the Yammy outboard and the old Mercruiser sterndrive had similar fuel consumption at cruise and the Yammy used more flat out, although the Yammy was faster as you'd expect with 50 more hp. The boat was no slouch either with both motors at wot - 37 knots Mercruiser and 46 knots Yammy.

goona
20-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Wow surprised the Yammy outboard and the old Mercruiser sterndrive had similar fuel consumption at cruise and the Yammy used more flat out, although the Yammy was faster as you'd expect with 50 more hp. The boat was no slouch either with both motors at wot - 37 knots Mercruiser and 46 knots Yammy.

Very interesting. So why would you bother changing the transom to take the outboard and it makes you wonder what the figures would be of a new petrol inboard with modern technology in lieu of a 30 year old plus inboard. That Yamaha certainly sucks it down.

scottar
20-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Very interesting. So why would you bother changing the transom to take the outboard . That Yamaha certainly sucks it down.

Because you signed an extremely lucrative sponsorship deal primarily. Big difference to cockpit space too which when you are trying to involve a film crew in your day to day fishing would be a massive help. Also top end, noise and less chance of it going kaboom.

One very interesting thing in the specs is around 6-8 knots for lure trolling - massively favors the inboard.

juggernaut
20-02-2017, 11:34 PM
Very interesting. So why would you bother changing the transom to take the outboard and it makes you wonder what the figures would be of a new petrol inboard with modern technology in lieu of a 30 year old plus inboard. That Yamaha certainly sucks it down.

In reality you wouldn't do the swap and keep the estimated $35K+ to do the project.

myusernam
21-02-2017, 02:58 PM
well the problem with that comparo is they already had a good modern fuel injected inboard in it. might have been a bit different if it wan on old carbi original