PDA

View Full Version : No fuel from carter mechanical fuel pump

ThePinkPanther
07-02-2017, 01:30 PM
;D;D All fixed so ignore following post please! Yep, as I suspected it was simply a dry fuel pump, once I poured some gas down the IN pipe to the carby, kept tapping the pump with a small hammer, heaps of air bubbles came out, one turn of the key and roared back into life as only a big healthy V8 can! I know there is a "problem solved" button here but sorry, I can't find it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys, I am having difficulty getting fuel out of my (full) petrol tank to my Holley CFM600 carby via the Racor filter (new) and a Carter mechanical fuel pump.

I have disassembled the pump, checked the three swirl valves in the head, cleaned some gunk out of them, checked the diaphragm and filter for cracks and holes but all AOK. I have blown everything inside with a compressor and there seems plenty of air coming from the various inlets and outlets.

Fitted a new Racor filter, also a new Holley carby as above but no way any fuel will pump out of the OUT line even when disconnected from the carby.

The line from the 260 litre tank is clear and I can syphon fuel from it quite easily or blow back into it.

This type fuel pump has it's lever sitting under the cam shaft and not the push rod type set up so it is pretty hard to fit the lever above the camshaft by mistake, almost impossible actually!

The glass bowl is fully primed when I turn the motor so it just has to be the outlet side of the pump at days end but no idea where the problem could be!

I wonder if it needs priming like some of the real old pumps required with a hand primer? I'll give that a go but other than that I am lost!

When I pour fuel into the carby it starts up straight away but of course only runs for a few seconds until the fuel is used up.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks