PDA

View Full Version : Motor Height

shakey55
01-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Good afternoon everyone.

Took my Seafarer V-Sea (Johnson Oceanpro - 115hp two stroke) for a test after putting on an SE SPORT 400 hydrofoil that my lovely wife bought me for Christmas. Seeing she bought it, I thought at least I should give it a try, before she hits me with it.

I must say this definitely got this heavy arse boat up on the plane quicker and kept it there at lower revs.

Enough dribble, what I did note today was that the best revs I can get out of her is about 5250.

I had a look while running just above 3000 revs and I think the motor might need to be lifted a hole or two. It is currently in the second of 4 holes.

What are the thoughts of the experts.

https://vimeo.com/201984997

https://vimeo.com/201985163

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackened
01-02-2017, 04:57 PM
G'day

Lift it 2 holes if those videos were taken with the engine at normal positive trim.

Dave

Andy56
01-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Your motor is low down in the drink alright.

scottar
01-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Yep. Lift it up. Costs nothing but a bit of time and a tube of sealant. Worse case is you're not happy and have to put it back down. I did find that when I tried the SE Sport 300 (not afraid of the power drill LOL) it generated quite a bit of drag - dropped about 500 RPM on the Victory. Do you know what your WOT RPM was prior to fitting.

shakey55
01-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Yep. Lift it up. Costs nothing but a bit of time and a tube of sealant. Worse case is you're not happy and have to put it back down. I did find that when I tried the SE Sport 300 (not afraid of the power drill LOL) it generated quite a bit of drag - dropped about 500 RPM on the Victory. Do you know what your WOT RPM was prior to fitting.

Scottar, possibly a touch more but no real difference.

From what I saw if I lift two holes the cavitation plate would be skimming the water.

I believe that's how it should be.

AM I CORRECT ?

scottar
01-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Scottar, possibly a touch more but no real difference.

From what I saw if I lift two holes the cavitation plate would be skimming the water.

I believe that's how it should be.

AM I CORRECT ?

To get the optimum performance from your rig in terms of economy and speed - Yes. In reality there is a bit more too it as hull design, propeller and usage pattern come into the equation as well. Thing is though, you won't know until you try and it is neither a complicated or expensive exercise (unless you then decide to try different props as well ;D) so it is worth having a go and seeing what you think.

shakey55
20-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Just a quick update.

Nothing done done to boat as currently touring east coast of Tasmania.

On return will be off down south coast (South Durras) for two weeks fishing.

Have decided to leave raising of motor u til after this planned trip.

Will report on outcome after raised and trials.

Thanks everyone for input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk