PDA

View Full Version : Signature 602F trailer help

matts59
30-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Hi All,
I have a 2012Signature 602F and am having problems getting it back onto the trailer so it is correctlypositioned. As you probably know, thishull has the planning plank and has been put on a trailer (apparently Easy to Tow)that has 11 parallel keel rollers and several wobble rollers (side support only). I would like to hear what type of trailer otherSignature 602F owners have……..is it just all multi-rollers which would centrethe hull or is it like mine with parallel keel (plank)rollers which take 90% ofthe hull weight with several wobble rollers for side support? ps. It doesn’t matter whether driven on orwinched on, correct alignment on the trailer is hit and miss because nothing iscentring the hull as it is retrieved.
Cheers, Matts59

sam687
30-01-2017, 02:17 PM
It sounds like your boat may be sitting on the wrong model of easytow trailer.

Standard plate boat trailer
http://easytow.com.au/r-series-keel-rollers-with-side-support-rollers/

Fibreglass boat trailer
http://easytow.com.au/rr-series-keel-rollers-with-roller-reception-rear-end/

I can only guess that these extra rollers at the rear would help with your problem.

matts59
30-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks, it is the fibreglass one it is sitting on........I have just found out from the Haines Group and a Melbourne dealer that sells Signatures that these hulls should only be put on a Supa-Roller trailer......minimum of 28 rollers & 40 odd is recommended. Pity the dealer that sold this boat from new didn't know better.

scottar
30-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Both of those trailers appear to have adjustable guides for centering. Might need some tweaking. Not sure on your experience level but a couple of things I do see time and time again that get missed is sinking the trailer too far - prevents the guides/rollers from doing their job as the hull is essentially still floating. Usually this happens due to the boat being difficult to get off - primarily caused by the fact that very few trailer manufacturers seem to be able to afford a tub of grease to lubricate the rollers at assembly. The second is making sure that your trailer is perpendicular to the water during retrieval - will make the boat go to one side during retrieve as well

sam687
31-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Do you have any photos of how your boat is sitting on the trailer, like a photo underneath. are the roller set up in the right direction and not catching on the mouldings of the hull.

I could be wrong but there might be some deal between Signature and Dunbier, I think if you look at your easytow and compare it to the dunbier it should be a much better trailer. I'm sure you should be able to get it to work correctly.

How far do you sink the trailer.

matts59
31-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks scottar, pretty sure I'm not going too deep but I will double check. There are no adjustable guides as such only the wobble rollers and as you will know their adjustment is determined by the hull height and horizontal level and are also influenced by the width of the planning plank at the rear. No trouble getting it off and the rollers have actually been greased in this case. I will also check it has been perpendicular to the water. Thanks for your help.

matts59
31-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks sam687, I don't have any photos but will take some soon. I don't think the wobble rollers are catching but this is also worth double checking. Signature do not specifically specify a Dunbier trailer for this hull, they advise a multi roller trailer with no keel rollers works best and I can see why now.......their requirements are a minimum of 28 multi-rollers, 2.4 tonne ATM & brakes.....no mention of trailer brand. I am sinking the trailer to about 40mm below the top of the tyres on the rear axle, this ensures the rear of the boat is not floating which causes the bow to be too low when retrieving. I have been using the same depth for launching.

Fed
01-02-2017, 08:18 AM
That sounds way too deep Matt, it may be sitting on all the rollers when it's in the winched up position but you want it to be sitting on all the rollers when it's half way up to give it a chance to completely centre on the trailer well before it reaches the winch post.

It's a balancing act between having enough water at the back so you don't hit the bottom and having the trailer far enough out of the water so it loads straight.

I launch at a fairly flat ramp & still retrieve with the rear centre roller just at water level.
I launch just a little deeper but not much.

scottar
01-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Does sound deep for a winch on at least. I use a power winch and typically try and keep the front axle just above the water with my Redco. At least one of the lads around here don't even get their rear axle brakes wet using a winch. Drive on may require more trailer in the water but i would at least try winch on with a bit less trailer in the drink. As Fed has indicated, having the rear centre roller at water level or just below but not deep enough the hull can float onto it is where you want to be IMO.