PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Suzuki 140's - 900 hours

Towie0
19-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Hello all and Happy NY.
Justafter some feedback on total hours before rebuilds and life span on 4S Suzi they now have 900 hours going great never had any trouble but i have run into some people that have had some big $$$$ bills around the 1000 to 1500 hours mark.

Be great if anyone has some info be it good or bad?

Noelm
19-01-2017, 01:00 PM
There is no magic hours where they just blow up or fall to bits, lots of motors still going great with thousands of hours, and some in the wreckers with a couple of hundred! your motors need the oil cooler serviced, and the steel plug in the engine holder replaced (if possible) both are well documented.

Towie0
19-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Roger that and my Zuks love to eat anodes to

Noelm
19-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Yep, replace them often, easy job, and there're cheap.

Cape Crusader
19-01-2017, 03:49 PM
And do it yourself if you can. I had our 2005 suzi's checked in a Qld dealer before buying, they said all good, so I bought (privately)and offered for them to do the 200 hour servicie. Well, got the bill for $3,500 and realised when they were serviced after further 100 hrs in SA, that the anodes were not replaced the internals the nut's had fallen off and there's basically nothing left with total engine ours of Qld 129. at serviice and 248 next had not been replace (I was charged for them and labour) all the spark plugs were barely finger tight, one prob not tensoned at all and goodness knows what else wasn't done that I was charged for.
A mug from south australia hahahahaha, saw me coming
Cheers
Rod

Towie0
23-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Its extremely disappointing and frequently happens with a lot of Businesses who leave it to the apprentice to stuff around i had some bearings seize 4 weeks after they were apparently replaced and i was charged for them.....

WildFishExpeditions
23-01-2017, 06:31 PM
If you are talking about a real engine rebuild then you can probably get 3000-5000 hours. its the corrosion and everything else that will come first as you know. Yamaha stated in their manual that 3000 hours was the operating life on their 150 4 strokes. I dont know if they still print that though

Hello all and Happy NY.
Justafter some feedback on total hours before rebuilds and life span on 4S Suzi they now have 900 hours going great never had any trouble but i have run into some people that have had some big $$$$ bills around the 1000 to 1500 hours mark.

Be great if anyone has some info be it good or bad?

TheRealPoMo
23-01-2017, 07:01 PM
I suppose that would be about right given they are basically car engines. So 3000 hours at an automotive equivalent of 80kph average is 240000km. I reckon thats about it for a car engine. ..I realise the difference in service and you have the corrosion to consider but I reckon I'd be ok with that service life.

Noelm
25-01-2017, 07:13 AM
As I have said many times, the average boater will never wear out an outboard, ever, rust, a dud water pump, water or an oil system fault will kill it long before it ever wears out. I have a friend that is a commercial fisherman that uses his boat nearly every day, for somewhere between 4-12 hours, he had an old pair of 115 Yamaha 2 strokes that had done thousands of hours, the motors were still OK, but the steering (swivel bracket) was badly worn, the tilt and trim was shagged (several times) lots of starter motors, control cables, all sorts of stuff buggered up/wore out, but the engines themselves were still fine.