PDA

View Full Version : Who sells and fits deck wash pumps on Sunshine Coast?

OcciferNick
15-01-2017, 11:29 AM
I've been looking around at getting a deck wash pump installed on my boat and have been looking around but can't find a lot of info. Does anyone know who sells and installs them around Maroochydore? Also is there a size/water flow pump I should start at and not go below? I have a 5.3m Stessl centre console.

Cheers,
Nick

Bremic
15-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Any of the boat yards that service boats/motors should be able to help you out. If they can't supply, there is a Whitworths and Road Tech Marine in northern end of Nicklin Way.

OcciferNick
15-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Darren J
15-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Solas carry a fair bit of that type of gear.

Smithy
15-01-2017, 08:43 PM
To fit it, try Ben Watson of Onboard Marine Solutions. 0404796109
Onboardmarine@live.com.au

Funchy
16-01-2017, 07:27 AM
To fit it, try Ben Watson of Onboard Marine Solutions. 0404796109
Onboardmarine@live.com.au

+1 for Ben, he has done work for me in the past. Always a good job and reasonable price.

Dignity
16-01-2017, 11:00 AM
I did my own, thee has been a number of threads here about deck wash and live bait pumps that might help. I bought my deck wash on ebay, half the price from the local Chandlers and it seems they all go after a while and need replacing. You will need a pickup of some sort, unless you already have one. Don't be surprised at the cost of having someone install it for you as there can be a few fittings etc needed.

Also you will need somewhere to store your hose, I originally had a piece of 100 mm pvc with a piece cut out for it to sit in, it is surprising how much room both the pump, fittings and hose container take up. Some people just leave the hose in the side pockets but that space is too valuable for me, another option is to fit a fitting into the deck and plug in the hose when you need it however I've found having it to hand all the time is preferable, boat comes back pretty clean of any fishy products, even my Deckie uses it all the time.

Whereabouts on the coast are you.

PS. I do run fresh water through the pump on my return hoping to extend it's life.

OcciferNick
17-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I tried to reply on my phone through the app but it wouldn't let me for some reason.
Yes I tried to search the forums for the info but couldn't find anything.
I already have a live bait tank pump and was trying to find out if there was a pump that could do both because I already had the pickup and connection there but apparently you can't. I don't particularly want to start cutting and drilling my hull for the sake of a few hundred dollars.

Unfortunately the place where I bought my boat in the Gold Coast closed down. At the moment I'm on holidays in Maroochydore. I read somewhere before that people were complaining about the reliability of the pumps and to get one with a certain pressure but can't remember. I think I'll go for a drive and walk into a boat shop and ask for a quote. Does anyone have a recommendation for minimum litres per min?

Cheers
Nick

scottar
17-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Take a look at a few of the bait pumps prior to deciding. some of them have a secondary port to allow both the bait and washdown pumps to function from the same pick up. Might be worth checking what you already have as well. If you do have to replace the pump, what it costs for the pump may well be similar to a second pick up and valve anyway but with no extra holes. They really aren't rocket science - if you are comfortable with basic 12 volt electrics and basic plumbing.

Smithy
18-01-2017, 04:17 AM
I like the Jabsco Parmax 4.9s I think it is. Every now and again Whitworths do the smaller Jabsco for $99 on special.

Dignity
18-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Sent you a PM, I use one of the setups that Scottar mentions, also Jabsco pumps have some very good info on their website about installing pumps etc. Also you should make sure it is self priming.

Dignity
18-01-2017, 08:41 AM
This is the item that Scottar was talking about.
http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Rule-Livewell-Angled-Thru-Hull-Pumps.html

Dignity
18-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Sorry buddy, my inbox was full, cleared now for a resend

Aussie123
18-01-2017, 09:24 AM
If you want a good pump that will last, check out the Shurflo Bait Sentry dual port pumps.

Smithy
19-01-2017, 01:13 AM
Sam, in my experience I am getting well over a year plus out of pressure pumps but was only getting not even 6 months out of any Rule type impellor pump. The actuall impellor shafts wear/corrode away with a bit of use as live bait tank pumps. We have also found Jabsco pressure switches cheapest from the UK for some reason. The only way pressure pumps usually let you down first.

Dignity
19-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Smithy, have the Rule type pump for the bait tank only, I use the bypass so that I can also run the deck wash, also the deck wash primes the bait pump as it is above the water line. Are you using a deck wash pump for your bait tank as well, with my setup I'm filling the tank while running and only use the rule pump if at anchor for any length of time. I will have to have closer look at your setup next time, I'm due to give myself a trip again. Hope you're getting into a few.