PDA

View Full Version : Best boat for commuting

WolfRiver
09-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Gday all. Newbie here, both to this forum and boating in general.
We have just bought a place on Russell Island in Moreton Bay.
I work three nights a week at Runaway Bay Coles, which has a dock right outside the food hall.

Rather than take the ferry to Redland Bay, then drive the 45 mins to one hour down the M1 I thought it would be faster and cruisier if I got a boat.
My trip home every night will be at night, otherwise I would get a jet ski.

WIth a limited budget, what would be the best, most economical, yet also get up a decent rate of knots, type of boat?
I am thinking half-cabin with a decent horsepower outboard but know next to nothing about boats.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

up the creek
09-01-2017, 07:51 PM
i dont have any big boat experience i only use tinnies and little motors,so have no advice on that, but im sure a few of the boys will have some suggestions 4 ya mate. but i replied cos i had to say thats gotta be the coolest way to get to work... and if a girl asks to come back to your place after work she will be getting a new experience ride home lol..

WolfRiver
09-01-2017, 08:15 PM
i dont have any big boat experience i only use tinnies and little motors,so have no advice on that, but im sure a few of the boys will have some suggestions 4 ya mate. but i replied cos i had to say thats gotta be the coolest way to get to work... and if a girl asks to come back to your place after work she will be getting a new experience ride home lol..
She sure would, especially after my wife found out >:(

NomadNoosa
09-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Lol...........

What type of limited budget are you talking about?

Have you done any searches to narrow it down to any particular model / brand / size?

Homer_Jay
09-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Do a search on YouTube for a guy called 'Dangar stu'. Lives on an island and commutes in his tinnie. I think his theory is to have a crappy looking boat so it doesn't get stolen/etc.
Has some really interesting videos, his earlier ones were about setting up his 'commuter' boat.
might give you some ideas.

WolfRiver
09-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Lol...........

What type of limited budget are you talking about?

Have you done any searches to narrow it down to any particular model / brand / size?
I am hoping to get something reasonably reliable for around $5k.

(I have never paid more than $4k for a vehicle in my life and currently drive an old discovery diesel I picked up a couple of years back for $900, which is destined to be our island vehicle).
Re searches; so far they have been limited to gumtree searches so have no particular model in mind.

I figure a half-cabin around the 16' mark would be most comfortable in winter and summer alike.

WolfRiver
09-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Do a search on YouTube for a guy called 'Dangar stu'. Lives on an island and commutes in his tinnie. I think his theory is to have a crappy looking boat so it doesn't get stolen/etc.
Has some really interesting videos, his earlier ones were about setting up his 'commuter' boat.
might give you some ideas.
Thanks Homer, I will check him out.

Chimo
09-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Where do you store the boat at Russel Island?
Do you know your talking about traveling around 20 to 25 NM thru some really interesting sand infested waterways so around 50 NM a day
How fast do you think you want to travel and fuel costs for quick boats can mount up too

Maybe Russell Is is a weekender / holiday destination and or living within spiting distance to work can really free up your life for all sorts of good things

IMHO interesting idea with a few bugs

But hey good luck with it.!

up the creek
09-01-2017, 09:01 PM
She sure would, especially after my wife found out >:(

ouch lol cant have that, well stick to the 1st half of the post its a kool way to get 2 work..

WolfRiver
09-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Where do you store the boat at Russel Island?
Initially on a trailer in the front yard, but hopefully down the track I can rent some space off one of the private jetties.

Do you know your talking about traveling around 20 to 25 NM thru some really interesting sand infested waterways so around 50 NM a day
How fast do you think you want to travel and fuel costs for quick boats can mount up too
I was told of one chap who could get to the seaway in southport in 25 minutes from Russell... guy must have had a speedboat as I worked out that would be at least 40 knots.
Even if travel time was similar to riding the ferry, getting in my car and driving to the M1, then down to Runaway Bay, I think I would prefer to go by water... fewer idiots on the water than on the road and no chance of traffic jams. ;D

Maybe Russell Is is a weekender / holiday destination and or living within spiting distance to work can really free up your life for all sorts of good things

IMHO interesting idea with a few bugs

But hey good luck with it.!
Thanks. The first dozen times would be interesting at night until I got used to the channels and bars I imagine.
I've been watching some old topgear videos where they turn cars into boats. Maybe I could turn the old Landy into a hovercraft? What could possibly go wrong? :uhoh:

scottar
09-01-2017, 09:56 PM
The first time you come out of work and it's pouring rain, this ideas going to get real old, real quick. Even more so in winter. Anything within your budget is likely to be two stroke powered unless it is only small. It will cost a bit in fuel or if it's cheap to run it will be small and really not fun at night in any sort of wind. Yep - a nice way to go to work but presents quite a few practical limitations. Also remember that if you break down mid week in that area at night, getting someone sorted for a tow will take a while. You will want a good gps with accurate charts and a good spotty as well.

up the creek
09-01-2017, 10:03 PM
The first time you come out of work and it's pouring rain, this ideas going to get real old, real quick. Even more so in winter. Anything within your budget is likely to be two stroke powered unless it is only small. It will cost a bit in fuel or if it's cheap to run it will be small and really not fun at night in any sort of wind. Yep - a nice way to go to work but presents quite a few practical limitations. Also remember that if you break down mid week in that area at night, getting someone sorted for a tow will take a while. You will want a good gps with accurate charts and a good spotty as well.

probably some truth in that scottar.. but hey let him try lol it will be fun until he gets sick of it..and he might be able to tell us how does price compare, fuel for boat to runaway bay return, or ferry fee return and petrol for car to runaway bay and back home after work?

WolfRiver
10-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Yeah, those have always been my concerns with the idea.
The good thing is I don't have to leave for work until midday so will have a fair idea of the weather before I leave and thus will always have the option of ferry and car instead of boat.
I have seen a couple of 16-17 footers with decent horsepower outboards for around $6-7k.
Although I am resigned to the fact I will get wet regardless, is there a model/type of boat that will offer some kind of protection from the elements?
As a first time boat buyer, what should I be looking at?
When I am ready to buy I will try to get a boat mechanic to come with me to check out anything I am interested in but I like to learn as much about a subject myself as I can too.

robsue
10-01-2017, 09:13 AM
any chance of getting a job transfer closer, say Redland bay?
a lot of travelling and costs involved otherwise

WolfRiver
10-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Closest transfer I could get would be Logan and then I risk losing my specific hours (I can only work Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights because of my own business).
I will be ferrying to Redland Bay and driving my car three days a week anyway (for my own business) and I'm not concerned about having to drive to Runaway Bay but would prefer to boat it and avoid M1 traffic. :)

We will be getting a boat regardless for island living (fishing, crabbing, etc) so I might as well get something that can also be a commuter if necessary.

scottar
10-01-2017, 12:32 PM
If you are set on the idea,something about 4 to 4.5 metres with a windscreen and canopy with sufficient horsepower to avoid needing to run at high revs. A tinny won't need as much horsepower as a fibreglass rig and will be a bit more economical but will ride a bit harsher in chop. To give you an idea on fuel burn, both my 15 foot tinny with a 40 and my old man's glass 15 footer with a 70 use about 25 litres on a round trip to the pin from redland bay. Both are/were 2 stroke engines.

WolfRiver
10-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Great, thanks for the info Scottar.
What is 'the pin' please?
At this stage I am thinking fibreglass, and I would love to get a 4-stroke with 80+HP but not sure if my budget will allow it.
Are there any motors/models I should avoid like the plague? I am sure like cars, certain models are lemons.

daveo17
10-01-2017, 03:21 PM
i think you need to spend a couple of months learning the area in a small boat before making the 6grand leap of faith and driving to southport. it really would be a big risk for a newbie to attempt this at night. but good luck with it always good to see somebody thinking outside the box.

scottar
10-01-2017, 05:25 PM
The pin is an area known as Jumpinpin. Basically the bottom end of North Stradbroke. You sound like you are on the right track with the boat but the fourstroke will probably blow the budget. Bare in mind you will be looking at older glass boats that could have structural issues due to rot. Employing an industry professional to do an inspection may well be a good idea.

twappett90
10-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Imo I would look for a good condtion haines hunter with around a 70hp or more and with a decent canopy you should gind a pretty decent 1 for around 5k

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feral
10-01-2017, 08:37 PM
I'd rethink the ski. fast, cheap to run, then catch the ferry when the weather is bad.

WolfRiver
10-01-2017, 09:24 PM
I'd rethink the ski. fast, cheap to run, then catch the ferry when the weather is bad.

I think my wife would really put her foot down on the idea of riding a jet ski home at night. It's hard enough convincing her I'd be OK in a boat at night even after I had done the trip during the day a dozen times then trial ran a few night runs.

WolfRiver
10-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Imo I would look for a good condtion haines hunter with around a 70hp or more and with a decent canopy you should gind a pretty decent 1 for around 5k

Thanks Twappett90. How much of a beating can they take?
My wife and I were on a taxi going to couran cove one night and the taxi hit a floating tree, which made a hell of a racket passing under the hull. She's freaked out thinking I might hit a log and come unstuck at night by myself.

Dr FuManchu
10-01-2017, 09:29 PM
I'd be looking at an older Seafarer V Sea with a 70hp 2stroker on the back

Sent from my SM-G920I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

up the creek
10-01-2017, 09:32 PM
I think my wife would really put her foot down on the idea of riding a jet ski home at night. It's hard enough convincing her I'd be OK in a boat at night even after I had done the trip during the day a dozen times then trial ran a few night runs.

take her on a jetski and get her hair and makeup wet you wont need a boat to get to work as she may kick your butt off the island all together lol..

up the creek
10-01-2017, 09:35 PM
love ur pic dr.. of that kool asian dude dont know why hes just got a cocky but kool attitude look on him.. my fav asian dude ever as a kid is my myagi or however its spelt (the guy off karate kid)..random post but had to tell ya..

up the creek
10-01-2017, 09:38 PM
i think you need to spend a couple of months learning the area in a small boat before making the 6grand leap of faith and driving to southport. it really would be a big risk for a newbie to attempt this at night. but good luck with it always good to see somebody thinking outside the box.

yup be carefull and id add to that to put a big ass spotty on the front can get pitch black with no moon.. we did that on an old half cab runnin up and down esturies at night it was worth it on many occasions..

WolfRiver
10-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Yeah, a big arse spotty is vital, one so powerful it burns any floating logs in front before I hit them.
My wife is as down to earth as I am, she would have heaps of fun on a jet ski and the only makeup she might get on her would be mangrove mud while she was looking for crabs.

Have you ever hit any logs cruising the estuaries at night?

up the creek
10-01-2017, 10:45 PM
nope but me dad in charge of driving when i was 14 going up a estuary in a little `14foot half cab over powered with a 115 evinrude so needless to say we were moving.. he went passsed a green marker at night pitch black spotty blinding out front and went for the next marker.. what he didnt realise was the next one was almost a hard right but he was lookin straight and went for the 3rd one straight ahead and not right then straight and BOOOOM from flat out to dead stop high and dry on a sandbank.. man the bang was loud and it all happened so quick.. so yeah be carefulll bro the first few trips b4 you open up the throttle like daveo17 says.. ..and glad ya missus uses mud 4 makeup sounds like you got your fishing soulmate lol... cheers bro..

sea-rash
11-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Great, thanks for the info Scottar.
What is 'the pin' please?
At this stage I am thinking fibreglass, and I would love to get a 4-stroke with 80+HP but not sure if my budget will allow it.
Are there any motors/models I should avoid like the plague? I am sure like cars, certain models are lemons.

This is a gee up right? How can somebody who lives at Russel not know what the "pin" is and then be seriously consider doing the commute at night? Maybe old Charles will sell the Beagle to you.😳

R

TheRealPoMo
11-01-2017, 01:35 AM
Maybe old Charles will sell the Beagle to you.😳

R

I see what you did there...

scottar
11-01-2017, 04:53 AM
Also take into account security while at work. Boats are easier to move and harder to lock up than a car. Be nice if it wasn't something to worry about but that horse has bolted.

shakey55
11-01-2017, 05:35 AM
And when you get home late, just tell her you stopped off to do a little fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funchy
11-01-2017, 06:02 AM
...Although I am resigned to the fact I will get wet regardless, is there a model/type of boat that will offer some kind of protection from the elements?.

Submarine perhaps?

:P

I'll let myself out ......

Richo1
11-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Yeah nice dream, but reality is it will cost you a lot more in time and money than you think. Ok once a week maybe with a fish on the way home. If you don't know where the Pin is, you're in for a real treat getting to and from work without running a ground, hitting channel marker, another unlit boat etc, etc even with the best gps/sounder money can buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertislander
11-01-2017, 08:14 AM
There is a guy that flies around these islands with a small tiny strapped to a hang glider which he uses like a sea plane. A to B would be pretty straight forward, not sure how much room you would have to land where you go, and of course there is the weather to consider. Good luck
Phil ( also on RI)

WolfRiver
11-01-2017, 08:34 AM
This is a gee up right? How can somebody who lives at Russel not know what the "pin" is and then be seriously consider doing the commute at night? Maybe old Charles will sell the Beagle to you.

R
We don't live there yet mate. Signed a contract on a place Monday last week.

My wife thought he might mean Jumpinpin. Appears she was right.
As I said, my experience on the water is next to nil other than going sailing as a kid and a few small boat trips around Hope Island and Jacobs Well years ago. But I am a fast learner.

WolfRiver
11-01-2017, 08:44 AM
nope but me dad in charge of driving when i was 14 going up a estuary in a little `14foot half cab over powered with a 115 evinrude so needless to say we were moving.. he went passsed a green marker at night pitch black spotty blinding out front and went for the next marker.. what he didnt realise was the next one was almost a hard right but he was lookin straight and went for the 3rd one straight ahead and not right then straight and BOOOOM from flat out to dead stop high and dry on a sandbank.. man the bang was loud and it all happened so quick.. so yeah be carefulll bro the first few trips b4 you open up the throttle like daveo17 says.. ..and glad ya missus uses mud 4 makeup sounds like you got your fishing soulmate lol... cheers bro..

Yeah, I imagine the trip will take about 2 hours for the first few weeks, I'll be taking it so slow :-?
Fishing soulmate, camping soulmate, bushbashing soulmate... we do everything together. The benefits of a woman brought up in the bush rather than the malls, I guess ;D

Chimo
11-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Beware of missing beacons even in daylight when your talking and not paying attention, let alone at night.
Here is a pic to show you I know of what I speak...................we were making good time too..............

Just have to wait for the tide to come back and too muddy to go for a walk but lots of crabs to watch in the mean time!

ozynorts
11-01-2017, 10:44 AM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wattle-camp/motorboats-powerboats/4-7-m-seafarer-1-2-cabin-with-75-hp-mercury-2-stroke-motor/1130778889

Triple
11-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Besides the navigational issues and time taken at night have you factored in if your even allowed to store the boat at the work dock? Boat security whilst its there? Change of weather when at work? The time it takes having to launch and retreive boat, park car etc (until you get your own spot at russell)? Motor and trailer flush/washdown after each trip when? Breakdown coverage? Does the missus have a car whilst yours is parked at the ramp with trailer? Etc etc

Jeremy
11-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Floating logs is one concern, but a bigger concern for me is the unlit channel markers at night. I nearly hit on o 2-3 occasions when I first started out and new to an area. A big spotty does help. Make sure you join up with the nearest VMR or coastguard in case of difficulty. I think there is one at Victoria Point which may be the closest.

myusernam
11-01-2017, 06:30 PM
bah. do it once at low tide with a good plotter and save the track. then just follow it. But I would invest in a nice size plotter.
I would get an old 14 - 16 foot glass deep v - cruise craft 14 maybe or similar. get some clears made up, tiller steer or centre console, not bow steer for a better ride. (I always prefer tiller steer) with a seat with a high back. canopy (bow is fine) but with allround clears. I would hate to be getting wet all the time. I'd go the full water taxi treatment clears allround. tiller 50 tohatsu only 4.5k new. old glass dinger 1 or two grand, scratch proof. Decent battery to run the nav lights and for the auto bilge pump. Good led nav lights so you know they'll work every time. maybe foam fill under the floor. lockable tool box from supercheap. esky for the shopping. bolt / glass everything down so noone can tax. padlocks etc. all good.

up the creek
11-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Beware of missing beacons even in daylight when your talking and not paying attention, let alone at night.
Here is a pic to show you I know of what I speak...................we were making good time too..............

Just have to wait for the tide to come back and too muddy to go for a walk but lots of crabs to watch in the mean time!

thats about what happened to us at 2 am.. only the sandbank come up quick and we hit it that hard we lost speed that quick we only went a few feet onto dry sand and the ass end was just in the water, being only a 14 footer 3 of us dragged it back in and lukily went back on our way.. judging by your pics i might pack a lunch just incase b4 going out with u, incase of a little crab watching time..

Chimo
11-01-2017, 07:18 PM
We had food and drink so we had a good catch up and avoided the need to anchor which was the plan, initially!

One even caught up on his sleep...115043

up the creek
11-01-2017, 07:22 PM
We had food and drink so we had a good catch up and avoided the need to anchor which was the plan, initially!

yeah sure chimo, it was all part of the plan... as ur quote says going fishing with you what could go wrong lol

up the creek
11-01-2017, 07:26 PM

anchor? mate why take one you clearly dont need one in those pics lol

WolfRiver
11-01-2017, 10:08 PM
bah. do it once at low tide with a good plotter and save the track. then just follow it. But I would invest in a nice size plotter.
I would get an old 14 - 16 foot glass deep v - cruise craft 14 maybe or similar. get some clears made up, tiller steer or centre console, not bow steer for a better ride. (I always prefer tiller steer) with a seat with a high back. canopy (bow is fine) but with allround clears. I would hate to be getting wet all the time. I'd go the full water taxi treatment clears allround. tiller 50 tohatsu only 4.5k new. old glass dinger 1 or two grand, scratch proof. Decent battery to run the nav lights and for the auto bilge pump. Good led nav lights so you know they'll work every time. maybe foam fill under the floor. lockable tool box from supercheap. esky for the shopping. bolt / glass everything down so noone can tax. padlocks etc. all good.

That sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

WolfRiver
11-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Besides the navigational issues and time taken at night have you factored in if your even allowed to store the boat at the work dock? Boat security whilst its there? Change of weather when at work? The time it takes having to launch and retreive boat, park car etc (until you get your own spot at russell)? Motor and trailer flush/washdown after each trip when? Breakdown coverage? Does the missus have a car whilst yours is parked at the ramp with trailer? Etc etc
Thanks. I have considered all that. I would do the flushdowns Monday mornings (surely that would be enough? The boat would only be in the water Friday midday to Sunday night)
Hardly anyone uses the dock at the shopping centre anyway so three afternoons/evenings a week should be ok. As to security, I would padlock everything well.
Missus won't need a car while landy is at the ramp. At worst, she could walk or ride to the ferry and take the mainland car parked at Redland Bay.
The biggest concern would be a change of weather while at work and if it was too bad to pilot boat home in she could come down in the mainland car to pick me up. (or if I got something big enough I could sleep in the boat).
Re: breakdowns... what do you guys do? Is there a water version of RACQ?

Triple
11-01-2017, 11:05 PM
Coastguard and vmr have memberships for free towing, unsure if they'd come out in the middle of a weeknight for a breakdown unless lives are in danger? Also don't know how strict they are but the pontoons at runaway bay shops have a 3hr berthing limit. Unsure if that stays outside of centre hours?

WolfRiver
13-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Delivered groceries to Jacob's Well Marine Rescue today.
$70 covers breakdowns/running out of fuel, etc, 24/7. ;D

BTW... love your signature, Triple... so true.

Darren Mc
17-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Mate to be honest i'm worried for you. Driving a boat at night from Runaway Bay to Russel Island with little to no experience is risky. Boating at night is very different to boating in the day light especially on a new moon. You can't see crap floating in the water or unlit boats(believe me there are dickheads that do this) so your just crossing your fingers really that you don't hit anything. Distance's to beacon light's or anything that you focus on appear closer than what they really are and often blend together from a distance. Then try to do this when it's raining and blowing and you will really crap yourself. You will definitely need a good chart plotter you use as a reference but do not rely on it, and not look at where your going as sometimes they can be a little inaccurate. I say this because some of the channels are pretty narrow and get narrower at low tide. Not trying to scare you off it but if I were you I would not do the night trips until you are very competent at handling the boat and have done it many times in the daylight. And always wear your lifejacket when travelling in the dark.

WolfRiver
17-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Good points and thank you.
Yes, I won't be attempting the trip at night until I am very familiar with the route.
And I will b e keeping a close eye on the weather too. If it even looks like it might get a little bit rainy I will ferry and car the journey.
Thanks.

inveratta
17-01-2017, 08:29 PM
not much that is different comes easy....lots of good advice here but...looking at the way your thinking in no time at all you will get the experience you need....its all about managing your risks ..and you seem to have some idea of that..good luck..

Crocodile
18-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Hello Wolfriver,

Full marks for lateral thinking.
Boat commute is much more attractive than ferry + road.
My thoughts;
Get a half cabin and sleep onboard until daylight and then drive home.
Night travel is great fun but is risky, I would rate collision as the number one peril.
There are those who sit in the channel with no lights, I know, I nearly ran over a tinny one night.
I just happened to see the flare of the cigarette lighter before I hit them.
16 foot glass boat 20 knots V 12 foot tinny = fatalities.
I was very rattled.
Then there is the risk of you getting run over, some of the ##### boats go very fast and being by yourself you cannot look in all directions.

Security at the pontoon???

Cost
I measure 36 nautical mile round trip.(Depends on where on Russell I. you live).
= abt. 36 litres of fuel for an old school half cabin = abt. $50.00.
I hope that the job pays enough to cover that.
Where are you going to refuel?

WolfRiver
19-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and advice guys.
Crocodile... did you have spotties on when you almost hit the tinnie?
Is that fuel estimate for a 2-stroke, or 4-stroke? And how many HP?

An old chap told me yesterday I would be better off with a 25HP motor fuel-wise.

It would cost about $50 to do the round trip on the ferry and driving down the M1 (which in my opinion surely would be more dangerous than the water with all the idiots on the road I see everyday).
Plus the road route would take a lot longer especially during peak hours.

Ironically my job means I drive the route in the Coles truck anyway (delivering people's groceries all the way up to Cleveland from Runaway Bay). But by then I am getting paid to get stuck in traffic ::)

Crocodile
19-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Hello Wolfriver,

No spotties, mark one eyeball only( this was 40 years ago!)
On your budget we are talking 2 stroke.
2 strokes have very limited charging power, typically about 6 amp, this may run an LED spottie, I don't know.
On a 15 foot half cabin you need a minimum of 50hp so forget the 25hp.
As for following a GPS track at night;
Even on dim the GPS screen will destroy your night vision, a very bad thing.
A front mounted spottie might work in calm seas but any pitching in waves and the light goes up and down and may not be practical.
It would also dazzle the hell out of any others anchored or travelling, not making friends.
If you switch it off as a courtesy, instantly no night vision, a very bad thing.
Hand held spottie is easy, but you need to navigate and steer and keep lookout at the same time, like juggling kittens and chainsaws.
Concentrating on the GPS means not keeping an adequate lookout and possibly getting rundown by a faster boat from astern.
I know from experience that when there is a moon it is very easy and good fun, but on a dark night or rain it would very scary indeed.
As for duration of the trip, at say 18 knots about an hour which is very easy.
If there is chop an old school 15 footer will be reduced to 6 knot at times.
I know that it is sheltered and that a lot of the trip will be behind the islands but it is a long stretch from Runaway Bay up to Tullen I. and that could easily add an hour to the trip when choppy. Rough seas at night can be very character building.
I expect that after you have done the run a few times it will become much easier navigation wise but the other challenges remain.
I have worked long shifts and it is sometimes very hard to wind-down and relax and then go to sleep, your trip home would be very stimulating and would not encourage going to sleep. But then, your metabolism is different to mine.
That is why I suggest sleeping until dawn and then making the run.
I suggest doing the run in another boat before you spend $$$$ and imagine what it would be like in the dark and in adverse conditions.
Which part of Russell I. do you live at and how far to the boat ramp/ jetty or beach.?
Think about refuelling. 3 X 36 = 108 litres. Too much for jerries or will you call into Runaway B. Marina to fill up every day?
Can you buy petrol on the island?
What about security at Russell I.? are you leaving the boat in the water or at a private jetty or just sitting on the beach?
Unattended boats are a magnet for thieves.
A half cabin without full covers can fill up and sink in a few hours of heavy rain.
Auto bilge pumps need plenty of battery power.
I am not being negative but you need to consider all eventualities.
On the other hand, How hard can it be? and What can possibly go wrong?

twappett90
20-01-2017, 06:00 AM
Just thinking out loud here maybe you would be better off with say an open fiberglass runabout my thoughts being they are generally a bit lighter than a half cabin meaning less horsies needed to get up an going i used to have a 14ft with a 30hp 2stroke it aould easily got up over 20knots and i had canopy with storm clears it was basically a cabin. Other reason being imo they have much more visibillity of the water.

Maybe bolt a toolbox to the floor to store what you wouldnt want stolen.

Maybe put a solid point on the boat you could then chain it 2 the dock.

Definitely need a good auto bilge pump but easy to do get a decent deep cycle battery and a reaonable solar panel itll chargen all day and with the motor charging should well an truly be able to run a couple of good led spot lights.

WolfRiver
20-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Great info. Thanks.

Currently I am thinking of going large (16-20').
I saw a nice full cabin (19') with a 50HP outboard on Ebay which sold for $6500.

The good thing is that I am in no rush so will be hopefully able to trial a few different boats and get plenty of more good advice before I buy.

The house is positioned slightly closer to the mid-island ramp on the eastern side than the ferry end so hope to launch from there and hire a low-tide-useable berth there 3 days a week... unload off the ramp Friday, off to work, return and berth, repeat journey Saturday and Sunday, pull out of water Monday morning, flush motor and store boat under awning on house until the next Friday.

sea-rash
20-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Great info. Thanks.

Currently I am thinking of going large (16-20').
I saw a nice full cabin (19') with a 50HP outboard on Ebay which sold for $6500.

The good thing is that I am in no rush so will be hopefully able to trial a few different boats and get plenty of more good advice before I buy.

The house is positioned slightly closer to the mid-island ramp on the eastern side than the ferry end so hope to launch from there and hire a low-tide-useable berth there 3 days a week... unload off the ramp Friday, off to work, return and berth, repeat journey Saturday and Sunday, pull out of water Monday morning, flush motor and store boat under awning on house until the next Friday.

A 19 foot half cab with a 50 hp,I am glad you are in no rush. I really believe you need to spend some time mucking about in boats and the area before even thinking about this.

Rash

WolfRiver
23-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Gday again... I'm curious, what are everyone's thoughts on inboard jet boat drives?
I have heard for something like commuting one would be a better choice because of better fuel economy compared to an outboard. And there is no propeller to foul. And if it breaks down they are easier to work on while sitting in the water?

Skusto
23-03-2017, 09:59 PM
If there anything like jet skis then it's quite the opposite. Expensive to run and fix

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

scottar
23-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Jets are inefficient compared to propellers so will cost more to run when compared to a new tech outboard. Against an old school two stroke who knows. Being able to run shallow will be an advantage sort of - unless you manage to beach it - there will be no chance of pushing it off as it will definitely draw more water once off the plane. At least with an outboard there is half a chance if you hit a bank of being able to push the boat off after you tilt the engine up - I should know ::). Not being able to tilt the engine up to see what is caught in it and clear it in the dark should you manage to foul a jet - massive disadvantage.

PROS
23-03-2017, 10:38 PM
get a hovercraft...

scottar
23-03-2017, 10:43 PM
get a hovercraft...

Interesting idea. Maybe an air boat.

WolfRiver
23-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Jets are inefficient compared to propellers so will cost more to run when compared to a new tech outboard. Against an old school two stroke who knows. Being able to run shallow will be an advantage sort of - unless you manage to beach it - there will be no chance of pushing it off as it will definitely draw more water once off the plane. At least with an outboard there is half a chance if you hit a bank of being able to push the boat off after you tilt the engine up - I should know ::). Not being able to tilt the engine up to see what is caught in it and clear it in the dark should you manage to foul a jet - massive disadvantage.

Good points,thanks.
I have been reading up on Hamilton Jets and they are far more widespread in NZ than here in Oz.
It seems they are actually pretty easy to manoeuvre and stop in only 1-2 boat lengths.

It also appears they are almost impossible to foul. If anything gets through the grill you can open an inspection cover and clear it from inside the boat, and if anything does catch in the grill, simply turning off the motor will drop whatever it is off the grill.

WolfRiver
23-03-2017, 10:46 PM
get a hovercraft...

Trust me, I actually thought about that idea;D

WolfRiver
23-03-2017, 10:48 PM
"airboat"

And that one too. My son's mate has one. It sounds like an aircraft taking off and drinks fuel.

Might be fine on glassy days but on even smaller waves would be scary as hell.

Chimo
24-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Before you buy anything why not hire an outboard powered boat and do your proposed run in daylight there and back or vice versa given where you will be able to hire a boat from.

You can then see what fuel you use and how long it actually takes.

If you use a Beacon to Beacon as your guide you wont get lost or bogged. Mind you even if you sort of know what you are doing and get distracted by people you talking to while driving its possible to miss a beacon and a turn and end up like many of us who are honest have done once or twice in our boating lives.

Pic.

Cheers
Chimo

daveo17
25-03-2017, 08:46 AM
have you had i chance to try the route yet?

WolfRiver
25-03-2017, 10:38 AM
have you had i chance to try the route yet?

Nah, still too busy preparing the move, building fences etc.

I have been watching gumtree, etc for a while now and when I saw a jet boat (Hartley 16' built in 1969) in my price range I had to go have a look.
Took it for a spin and liked it... has a nice sheltered cabin with windscreen wiper, full skins, etc so will be fine in all weather. It's glassed wood and been very well looked after. Hartley design was for 19' but the builder shortened it. Motor is a Holden 202 so easy to fix.
Turns on a dime, handles easy for a newbie like myself and being a jet can't foul on crap in the water or mud and sand. It's got everything, including electric motor in case of unfixable breakdowns, even a set of oars. Only thing I need to get is a good plotter, any suggestions?

Seller's phone was going off a lot with enquiries while I was there and even had another bloke wanting to have a look when we got back to the dock so I bought it.

Bit impulsive, yeah I know, but experience on Gumtree has taught me that if you want something don't dawdle or else you will miss it.
Was a time just a few years back when you could get bargains everywhere online by negotiating hard because hardly anyone bought online, but these days everyone is buying online and things that are any good go real fast.

Can't wait until we finish moving and I can try the run with my wife to do some shopping and exploring.

If it turns out to be better doing it by car, oh well, we still have a nice boat for exploring the islands.

WolfRiver
25-03-2017, 10:41 AM

inveratta
25-03-2017, 11:37 AM
love to see a couple of photos the attachment above didnt work...a friend of mine used a jet boat for years ...the only thing he found was at slow speeds it was not so easy to keep control of turns..otherwise the jet was pretty straightforward...the motor on the other hand was not....but I reckon if your using it regularly...wont take long to work it out...all the best.

WolfRiver
25-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Might be because they are png files. Here's a couple as jpegs..115456. 115455

Chimo
25-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Have a read of the "how to shrink pics and insert pics" section to make pics easy. (Infranview)

In the mean time " Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sendmessage.php)

WolfRiver
27-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Took it for another spin today before bringing it home.
I can go from top speed to stop in only 1 and a half boat lengths!... then spin it literally in place and shoot back in the direction I came from in a few seconds.
The physics of Jet boats are great... so maneuverable... even for a newbie like myself (I have never driven a boat before in my life other than my Dad's fold-up with a whole 15 horsepower outboard, canoes and a couple of sail boats when I was a kid.)

It's got a holden 202 motor and kicks into a real nice planing/cruising speed at 3000rpm, not sure how many knots it is doing coz the speedo doesn't work, but it's certainly as fast as I am comfortable going right now.

scottar
27-03-2017, 10:58 PM
love to see a couple of photos the attachment above didnt work...a friend of mine used a jet boat for years ...the only thing he found was at slow speeds it was not so easy to keep control of turns..otherwise the jet was pretty straightforward...the motor on the other hand was not....but I reckon if your using it regularly...wont take long to work it out...all the best.

Yep. Hardest habit to break out of is throttling down all the way if things get a bit squirrely. No thrust = no steerage.

ozynorts
28-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Might be because they are png files. Here's a couple as jpegs..115456. 115455 No it is because you need to import the images into AF first before attaching them to your thread. Use the Go Advanced button and manage attachments.