PDA

View Full Version : 1998 kevlacqt 2400 fuel capacity

U4REEL
05-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Hey guys, can anyone confirm the tank capacity on the early 2400s?

one I'm looking at claims to have 150litre tanks but early reviews say 225.

Lovey80
06-01-2017, 12:11 AM
I thought they all had 320 (160 per side). Unless made to survey??

Cape Crusader
06-01-2017, 09:00 AM
G'day
2 x 180 standard and 2 x 225 is optional
The early ones have smaller pods to suit the 2 strokes of the time. Later, early in the 2000's I think they changed to suit heavier engines
Cheers
Rod
http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG61_prev.pdf

Cape Crusader
06-01-2017, 09:07 AM
G'day again
As an aside, we have a 2005 KC2400. I contacted Kevlacat when we purchased it and Adrian was very helpful and sent me the original order/spec sheet and a pic on the day it was finished. I find it great that I can dip the tanks to get a fairly accurate amount (I've marked the trailer height when level in the shed). Not that we have to worry about running out fuel, I just like to keep a handle on what's there and how much used
The tanks are tapered though and getting a dipstick calibrated did my head in and I ended up going to a US maths forum for help.
If anyone is interested I'll start a separate thread with the tank and dipstick specs for the 225l tanks
Good luck
Cheers
Rod

Kagey2
07-01-2017, 04:22 PM
dead keen to do the same for mine Cape Crusader. mine is 2003 and also confirmed with Kevlacat it has the 225l tanks.

Cape Crusader
07-01-2017, 09:19 PM
G'day Kagey2
Just got back from the pub and a local charter operator commented on how good the KC looks in the water, whether stationary, drifting or underway it looks great, many don't, Nice to hear.
Anyway I'll do my best to put the info in this post, here goes.

Well, sorry, I'll try again tomorrow
I attempted the original formats and converted to others but no go
Cheers
Rod

Kagey2
09-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Thanks mate.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Cape Crusader
09-01-2017, 07:17 PM
G'day
Here's the measurements for the dipstick that came from a maths guy an excel calculations
It appears that the numbers aren't 100% perfect, there were some variables that have been factored and some not, can't remember the detail. You can see that the numbers go beyond 225L, I did some minor adjustments, but a while ago
Happy if someone can improve. I use a piece of dowel which gives an easy to read result. I've marked full, half and quarter by filling a groove with a triangular file and a fine texta, then 20L increments between.
Let me know what you reckon
Cheers
Rod

Kagey2
09-01-2017, 10:15 PM
so Rod, are the numbers on the left in metric?

gofishin
09-01-2017, 11:05 PM
so Rod, are the numbers on the left in metric?

I would expect so (in cm), otherwise a 39" deep tank would be poking out above the floor [emoji1].

If you guys would like the calibration in an XL chart, that won't be a problem... well except for tonight. Can look at something tomorrow maybe.
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

gofishin
10-01-2017, 01:23 PM
How's this?

Calcs based on internal tank dims (2mm thk tank), incl. volume lost to baffles, but excl. vol lost to stiffeners and pipes etc.
Cheers

Cape Crusader
11-01-2017, 08:17 AM
G'day
Thanks Gofishin
The example I put up was also done on excel. The numbers I put up. Ie on my spread sheet from 110 to 220L its all 1.6cm per 10L
Obviously not correct
In yours it's pretty much all 3mm per 5L except for intermittent 2mm in the smaller bottom section but in the slightly larger section it's 3mm with some 4mm per 5L which is back to front which is also obviously incorrect.
When I get a chance and am feeling sharp I'll rummage around in the archives of my brain and see if some old hydraulic calculation grey matter can find a way :o
But looks like we should forget excel
Cheers
Rod

gofishin
11-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Hi Rod,

No, Excel is brilliant for this kind of stuff, and it's only wrong if the equations inputted by us 'humans' are wrong - and pretty sure I didn't stuff these up... ;D

There will be some 'rounding errors' in the table I attached, as I rounded the displayed 'volume numbers' to the nearest litre, however I think you are overlooking the fact that the tank is tapered, thus '1cm in depth of fuel' up the top of the tank holds more volume/litres than down the bottom - where the tank is skinny. FYI, 1cm of fuel up the top of the tank is ~6.5L, and 1cm of fuel at the bottom is ~5.5L.

In other words, the distance between your dipstick marks - for every 'whatever' litres you want to mark it with - will be closer together up the top than at the bottom (for the same litres). Make sense?
Cheers
Brendon

Cape Crusader
11-01-2017, 04:00 PM
G'day Brendon
I may be thinking about it incorrectly but I don't think so. The graduations for every 5 litres in a perfect world would decrease at a constant towards the top of the tank, but they don't, they are nearly all the same, except the odd different one, that gets larger instead of smaller towards the top of the tank. Maybe back to front imput.
Also the excel numbers exceed the specs (225L) I guess that's because kevlacat spec is rounded down a little to give a slightly conservative 450L overall, or the variations you mention create the difference
Cheers
Rod

rosco1974
12-01-2017, 07:06 PM
just ring kevlacat they have the measurments for a dipstick for the 2400kc 225 ltr tank.i had a dipstick for mine but cannot remember what they are now...

Noelm
12-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Nothing scientific about the dipstick I made, I just put in 25l of fuel, dipped and marked, another 25 dip and mark, and continued until full, pretty simple, I made mine out of round brass rod that I scrounged.

Kagey2
31-01-2017, 08:24 PM
hey Rosco. took your advice and emailed Kevlacat. reply they gave said they don't have any specs or templates ..... go figure

rosco1974
04-02-2017, 08:02 AM
try rafe down a wylde about boats on the gold coast mate,he was the one who told me the measurements when he worked for kevlacat

Moray
04-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Pretty certain that GoFishing has the correct numbers. I separately performed the calculation based on the tank dimensions in this thread and arrived at the same answers. Tabulated values in the attached file. The heights are in millimetres and there is a slight rounding error since I figured anyone making a dipstick wont have sub-millimetre accuracy. I've been meaning to do this for ages as the dipstick I have is sus.