PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 25hp Johnson Electric Start Removal

gazza2006au
30-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, has anyone ever removed the electric starter from a vintage mid 1970's model johnson/evinrude? i have one i am working on and it seems the 2 coil wires and two main cables out of the stator go into a tube for the electric starter power connection on the front of the outboard

just wondering if u have done it before am i able to connect the coils directly to the stator and by pass the electric starter wiring/connector

it seems the coils may get there power from the battery... but i am unsure

this is a model without a CDI

Noelm
30-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Not sure what you mean??

gazza2006au
30-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Not sure what you mean??

Noel the coils are wired into this plug its really strange check the pic, i have 2 thick and 1 thin wires coming out of my stator i believe the two thick wires go to the coils and the thin wire on the other side goes to the kill switch (thin wire is a light tan colour other two thick wires are green as is the wires for each coil)

I just don't know how this motor is designed to run without a CDI, possible the stator and flywheel sends out a pulse when the coils need to spark? i donno...

ericcs
31-12-2016, 10:40 AM
if itis older than a 1975 it will be points ignition not CDI!

gazza2006au
31-12-2016, 10:55 AM
if itis older than a 1975 it will be points ignition not CDI!

Awesome thanks ericcs just what i needed to hear, it is a 1976 model but out of the 3, 25-35hp motors i have here its the only one without a CDI so it had me wondering

do u think i can wire my coils directly to the points on the stator/magneto?