PDA

View Full Version : Needing Assistance, Johnson Year Model

gazza2006au
20-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Hey Guys

Maybe someone else has done this before but i have a Johnson Outboard it is a 25hp with transom brackets and id tag 65ESL73R which is a 65hp!!

my powerhead serial number is 04690325

trying to order a gearbox seals kit but no evinrude dealer can help without the model number

Noelm
20-12-2016, 04:33 PM
If my hazy memory is correct, way back in the "old days" Johnsons had the year as the last digits (disregarding the R) so is it possible its a '73 model? Do you think it is around that age? The later method of year indentification was sometime in the early '80s I think, but I could be very wrong.

Noelm
20-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Also from foggy memory, the White ones came in during the late '70s and the water pump tell tale was I think introduced in '79??

gazza2006au
20-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Noel its a tricky one mate, this motor has the OEM tell tale but it also has a two piece gearbox casing so i just cannot work it out

the transom brackets are off a 65hp motor according to the Evinrude dealer and model on the plate :-?

i sent a email to Evinrude Australia and there auto response thingy emailed me saying they had received the email but it was forwarded on to my local Evinrude Dealer who couldn't help be in the beginning so i just don't know what is going on

the only thing i can do is look up the gearbox seals kit on IBoats and use the SIERRA part number and look it up in Oz hopping its the right kit, they say on IBoats it does from 1968 thru to 1978

only problem is if i order the wrong part i won't be able to fish for another 2 weeks!!!! :'(

gazza2006au
21-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Found a Sierra dealer in Sydney who had this kit in stock, could i have gotten any luckier!!!!! i picked up the kit acording to the Iboats part number but mine says for 18-20hp 1978 and under i think it should still fit as the 20hp was a de-rated 25hp back than

Happy Fishing ;D;D;D