PDA

View Full Version : Which 6m boat?

stue2
20-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Just putting it out and not after the great debate but what are peoples favourite 6m boats.
Is it the deck area or transom design, perhaps the ride that gets them over the line.
I have a seafarer vagabond because of transom design and stability and that we spend most of our time at the back of the boat was the reason for getting a vagabond.
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Magilla1
20-12-2016, 07:34 AM
EDENCRAFT 6M OFFSHORE for me. Solid hull and a tried and tested hull design.

Also built to Vic survey standards and a max 250 ponies:o

stue2
20-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Not been in one nor have i seen a bad report.
Believe they have had some cosmetic upgrades too

Ocean_Spirit
20-12-2016, 10:52 AM
My favourite Australian 'hulls' presenting as a true 19" mono-hull are:

1. Lindsay Fry designed/built Seafarer Victory 6.0.
2. John Haines Snr designed/built Haines Hunter 600R (the earlier model, not current).
3. Edencraft 6M Offshore.

The man behind the magic of 2/3 agreed with (1) - he bought the moulds!

As you step up into the 23" category, the likes of Contender, Regulator and Abermale (all US imports) stand out. Locally, there are some bespoke custom built designs that appeal. Coota Craft's 'Bad Boy' is an impressive new local boat - just never ridden in one.

stue2
20-12-2016, 11:02 AM
My favourite Australian 'hulls' presenting as a true 19" mono-hull are:

1. Lindsay Fry designed/built Seafarer Victory 6.0.
2. John Haines Snr designed/built Haines Hunter 600R (the earlier model, not current).
3. Edencraft 6M Offshore.

The man behind the magic of 2/3 agreed with (1) - he bought the moulds!

As you step up into the 23" category, the likes of Contender, Regulator and Abermale (all US imports) stand out. Locally, there are some bespoke custom built designs that appeal. Coota Craft's 'Bad Boy' is an impressive new local boat - just never ridden in one.
Agree with all but wondering what it is with the later 600 r assuming its the breeze you speak of.
And is it the ride, layout or construction that impressed you

Flex
20-12-2016, 11:04 AM
6.2m Kevlacat.

By far the fastest/most room of any 6m boat going. Massive deck space. below 3.5t so most 4x4 car tow it(just).
twin everything for safety and with a few tweaks unsinkable.(depending on model)
Most importantly it super stable at rest when fishing, walkthrough transom on some models is best fishing spot in the boat.
cheap boat to compared to other cats/mono's. can buy yourself an offshore weapon for 50k or less.

5.6sharkcat is a close second to the above IMO, but doesn't ride quite aswell.

21-23f sharkcat is faster but they are 7m boats..

inveratta
20-12-2016, 05:49 PM
EDENCRAFT 6M OFFSHORE for me. Solid hull and a tried and tested hull design.

Also built to Vic survey standards and a max 250 ponies:o

yes ...I know some criticise them as a bit basic fit out but they would be my choice as well.

I guess not a lot of Cootacraft make it up to QLD...They are beautifully built...strong and classic clean lines....Im thinking the Haines Edencraft Cootacraft have very similar design heritage in these offshore hulls..but the build quality of Cootacraft is several steps better.... I have an older Haines and the construction was very "commercial"

ozscott
20-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Eden craft if you can get or afford one then Lindsay Fry's DADDY built Vagabond...Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Magilla1
20-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Really like the Cootacraft. Especially the "gunshot'" a lot of boat for an 18ft!

Unfortunately I've only had the chance to look one over at the boat ramp at Lakes Entrance when visiting the old man.

Another Victorian boat builder I like are the Bass Strait. Never seen one up here in Queensland but the specs look impressive.

stue2
20-12-2016, 07:09 PM
-metre

stue2
20-12-2016, 07:11 PM
https://www.thecaptain.tv/articles/6-metre-shootout/

stue2
20-12-2016, 07:13 PM
This is the three in a challenge.
Not loaded with info but worth a read

Magilla1
20-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that one before.

stue2
20-12-2016, 07:27 PM
All three are right at the top for mono .
No surprise that the straiter being the lightest is the dryest. All run wave breakers, are well built and would suit those that live on the edge

Lovey80
20-12-2016, 07:30 PM
6.2m Kevlacat.

By far the fastest/most room of any 6m boat going. Massive deck space. below 3.5t so most 4x4 car tow it(just).
twin everything for safety and with a few tweaks unsinkable.(depending on model)
Most importantly it super stable at rest when fishing, walkthrough transom on some models is best fishing spot in the boat.
cheap boat to compared to other cats/mono's. can buy yourself an offshore weapon for 50k or less.

5.6sharkcat is a close second to the above IMO, but doesn't ride quite aswell.

21-23f sharkcat is faster but they are 7m boats..

i haven't seen too many 6.2m KC's around that are in very good nick. Lots were used as pro boats. For something newer I don't think you could go past the 5.9m Supersports Cat built in Caloundra.

Excellent build quality, really straight hulls. By all reports will out do a KC on performance and it's customisable to a certain degree. IMO the best boat being built in Australia under 6m. I want to see one with a full glass hard top.

Chimo
20-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Stu

You have mail............

Crunchy
20-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Hard to go past the quinny 610 spirit, one day i guess 8-)

scottar
20-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Whichever one I am fishing out of on the day. Been in plenty - all good in there own ways and lacking in others. None are perfect. Ended up with a Victory myself as it is a good an all rounder as any with minimal bad habits and it comes in at 6 metres exactly so not paying extra rego for less than a foot of boat. Oh, and if it was 10 cm longer it wouldn't fit in my shed

stue2
20-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Question is when you all bought your boats what was the thing that swung it for you.
Ride and build quality is high here but what else convinced you that you were looking at th he right boat.
Or maybe what was the deal breaker.
My first boat was just an opportunity. A caribbean caper

Flex
21-12-2016, 07:03 AM
All to often people buy boats for the image it portrays or to look fancy in the driveway. Not really questioning the functionality of it.

Everyone's perfect boat will be different. depending on where and how you go fishing.

For me I do long trips offshore 120km+ each way and remote areas north of cooktown on the ribbons where there is no coast guard.
So a cat is perfect vessel for speed and safety. Plus less seasickness when I'm in a cat.

for others a 6m plate mono boat may be better. e.i only running 20km offshore or as more of an allrounder.

Others may need a more family friendly boat. Or you might be Hugh Hefner and need a bow rider for your 3 penthouse chicks in bikini's up front.

stue2
21-12-2016, 07:30 AM
All to often people buy boats for the image it portrays or to look fancy in the driveway. Not really questioning the functionality of it.

Everyone's perfect boat will be different. depending on where and how you go fishing.

For me I do long trips offshore 120km+ each way and remote areas north of cooktown on the ribbons where there is no coast guard.
So a cat is perfect vessel for speed and safety. Plus less seasickness when I'm in a cat.

for others a 6m plate mono boat may be better. e.i only running 20km offshore or as more of an allrounder.

Others may need a more family friendly boat. Or you might be Hugh Hefner and need a bow rider for your 3 penthouse chicks in bikini's up front.
I agree completely with your first paragraph. Does your boat meet your needs or is it a statement.

I have never been in a cat so i hope one day an opportunity will arrise

Lovey80
21-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Question is when you all bought your boats what was the thing that swung it for you.
Ride and build quality is high here but what else convinced you that you were looking at th he right boat.
Or maybe what was the deal breaker.
My first boat was just an opportunity. A caribbean caper

i bought my current offshore boat because I couldn't afford the SeaTrek 5900 Super Sports cat at the time. I wanted a day boat under 6m with as much deck space as possible, economical for range and as soft a ride as I could get for most of the conditions I fish. I ended up with Dean1's 5.2m Black Marlin. I paid more than I wanted because they are so hard to find in good nick and I love the layout with the big esky under seat. It's been such an awesome boat it will be a sad day when I have to see it go down the track when I upgrade to a larger cat capable of sleeping 4 over night.

stang69
21-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Haines Hunter 585R. Softer riding than all the 6 metre hulls mentioned so far. I would put it up against any other 6 metre boat available in ride and handling. Stable, easy to drive, no bad manners.

shakey55
22-12-2016, 05:13 AM
I may be biased but for me it would have to the Seafarer Victory X-Series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noelm
22-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Haines Hunter 585R. Softer riding than all the 6 metre hulls mentioned so far. I would put it up against any other 6 metre boat available in ride and handling. Stable, easy to drive, no bad manners.
Pretty big statement! but, as mentioned, people need boats for all sorts of purposes, some want a big open deck with the windscreen as far forward as possible, some want a full cabin and bunks, others want a centre console, there is no one boat that fits all, and that hasn't even touched on the glass/Aluminium/Polycraft side of it. Similarly a very soft ride is great, but then, so is stability, storage and towing all come into it too, way too much to think about and there will probably never be a "best" boat in any given size.

Jsmfun
22-12-2016, 08:41 AM
I have a tournament 2100 walk-around with 21 deg dead rise 2.35m beam and 6.2m it has 1.9m bunks will sleep 2 people. also have 1.9m of deck space so i can blow up a mattress
and sleep on the rear deck on extended trips.. 1900kg perfect for towing have recently added trim tabs and now the boat is a weaponI. I have a DF175hp suzi 4 banger and my cruise speed at 4200rpm is 25-27 knots but most of the time I travel at 29-30knts doing 4800-5000rpm at a fuel burn of 30-33lt which im happy with as i like to get to where im going.. I love the walk around as when fishing for pelagic species I send someone up the front and that's where they cast from ( out of my way:D)
also my 7 year old boy loves practicing casting so this is where he go's with a life jacket on off course. these are just some of the reasons i think my boat is the best

I have never been in a seafarer or coota craft so I cant compare but for me at this time in my fishing carrer the tournament 2100 walk around is perfect for me cheers scott :)

stang69
22-12-2016, 10:08 AM
For me the most important thing is ride and thats where the 585R has no equal in the 6 metre class. It doesn't have much of a cabin, but has good cockpit space. Its also very stable which is not common with other soft riding boats. Usually its a compromise.
Layout, style, storage, configuration, are all personal things where everyone has a different opinion or preference.

Noelm
22-12-2016, 10:31 AM
For me the most important thing is ride and thats where the 585R has no equal in the 6 metre class.
once again, pretty bold statement, how exactly did you come to this conclusion?

GBC
22-12-2016, 11:29 AM
https://www.thecaptain.tv/articles/6-metre-shootout/

Anyone put this up?

I like a 585 but it is seriously outclassed in the hull shape department by some of these. 21 degree deadrise just isn't going to keep up. As stated before, some of these hulls and layouts are going to have qld reef fishos scratching their heads - no seats - but every boat is a compromise to something.

ranmar850
22-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Is the 585 the end that likes to play submarine in a following sea? Just remember that someone I knew had one, it was an absolute bastard running home with the strong southerly " sea breeze ::)" directly behind it. They used to come in soaked in their flash Haines.
I'm sure someone will say he didn't know how to drive it, quite possible...

Flex
22-12-2016, 11:56 AM
For me the most important thing is ride and thats where the 585R has no equal in the 6 metre class. It doesn't have much of a cabin, but has good cockpit space. Its also very stable which is not common with other soft riding boats. Usually its a compromise.
Layout, style, storage, configuration, are all personal things where everyone has a different opinion or preference.

Ran out of stanage bay about 6m months ago alongside a 6.8 walkaround patriot in my 5.6m sharkcat. Also in our crew was a 2400KC and a 6.2m centre conole KC all left ramp at stanage about the same time.

the haines went well but my Sharkcat and the 2400 were a fair bit quicker in the rough heading out to Hexam group in fairly ordinary conditions. I'd say 10-15km/h faster roughly.

My mates 6.2 CC kevlacat flew past me and the 2400 like they were standing still though. Unreal how good it is in the rough without a cab on it.
It was a good indication of sea keeping abilities for the 4 boats. As we all were running in the same direction for a fair while.

Now as I mentioned earlier, ride isn't everything in a boat.
If you only travel 20-30km out then other factors should weigh higher in your boat purchase

stang69
22-12-2016, 12:40 PM
dont worry about numbers like 21 or 24 degree deadrise, it doesn't mean much. The softest riding boat I have ever been in had a 20 degree deadrise at the transom. That was a Formula 21. Real world is a better gauge than a magazine article.
Been in most of the boats mentioned here already so thats where my statement comes from. Was definitely not impressed with one of the boats in the "6 metre shootout" While it behaved well, it was very hard riding and pretty wet. Just like a heavy V19R haha.
The 585R is extremely dry riding in a following sea. You could claim it to be wet in a head sea, like most mono's driven hard with the bow down.
I am not including cats in my statement because I havent been in any 6 metres or under.

Spaniard_King
22-12-2016, 05:31 PM
I own the 3rd 6M Edencraft out of the mold when they were revamped in 2007. Currently has the latest Model Honda 250 with drive by wire which scratches 45 knots;D

we have fished 150klm NE of 1770 out of her with no issues. I once raced a 24ft kevlacat back from Fitzroy in 20 knots when I had the 225 on her (owner is an Ausfisher), I wonder if he is game enough to step up here and give you guys the results8-)

Flex
23-12-2016, 05:50 PM
I've never been in an Eden craft. This is an honest question. Are they genuinely able to run level or out do a similar size cat?
Is the ride softish compared to a cat or do you just blast through waves with sheer horsepower and bang like buggery?
Not being fasecious at all here just genuinely interested.
I own a cat and if I got beat by similar mono I'd gladely sing it's praises.

stue2
23-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Followed its big brother out the harbour at Portland one day. Not too sure where it went from there

Spaniard_King
23-12-2016, 06:35 PM
I've never been in an Eden craft. This is an honest question. Are they genuinely able to run level or out do a similar size cat?
Is the ride softish compared to a cat or do you just blast through waves with sheer horsepower and bang like buggery?
Not being fasecious at all here just genuinely interested.
I own a cat and if I got beat by similar mono I'd gladely sing it's praises.

For there size they are a very Heavy boat and with a very noticeable steep vee, its because of the vee you need plenty of HP. When I bought the boat the manufacturer told me that when it gets rougher to drive it harder. A good set of tabs is a must as you need to hold that deep vee hard into the swell to make it work, how ever like every boat there are conditions which make you pull the throttle back instead of going harder. I can sit on 30knots in a fair bit of Sh!t

Jarrah Jack
27-12-2016, 05:42 PM

I've got the same hull a 585SF, and they're no where near as smooth as the older haines unfortunately. A blunt entry and 21 degree deadrise account for that.

stue2
27-12-2016, 08:27 PM
I've got the same hull a 585SF, and they're no where near as smooth as the older haines unfortunately. A blunt entry and 21 degree deadrise account for that.
Is this the new one Terry?

Ocean_Spirit
28-12-2016, 02:15 AM
Garry - was that one of Warrens boats? A.

The 585R HH tug boat is not in the same league as some of the other boats mentioned. We had a 600R to run for a few days at an outboard media day a while back.

I've seen a few of these being dragged behind a Jeep with a Yamaha 4-Banger and I wouldn't dare challenge their buying decision 😄

Time to go back out in my Seaf****er. Nice rounding the corner yesterday and sticking the hammers down (hit 55 knots) with a new prop - the hum of sheer grunt. Couple of the local pros commented it was nice to here a donk with some balls...!

stang69
28-12-2016, 05:56 AM
The 585R is not in the same league, true. It is several leagues higher. It leaves any Seafarer Victory or Vagabond for dead in rough waters. And the Victory is one of the better boats out there.
The 585SF is a different hull, narrower, lighter, with very small chines. You should go for a spin in a 585R and see for yourself. I've been in most of the boats mentioned so far, otherwise I wouldn't comment.

Noelm
28-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Also been in I think, all of the boats listed, including the cats, as well as one of your 585Rs and still dont see how you come to the conclusion it is so much better than the rest! except you own one, which just might be clouding your judgment? I kind of think the Seafarers could be at least equal in ride, but that doesn't mean I think Seafaeres are the best 6m boat out there, it's pretty well noted how I rate them personally.

Noelm
28-12-2016, 07:08 AM
I guess to be fair, it needs to be clear exactly what "rough seas" actually means, a bit of wind blown chop is entirely different to a (say) 6m swell with breaking tops, if we are talking about chop from 15k wind, then I doubt any of the monos would get near any of the cats for ride, we are talking about what magazines call "snotty, ordinary conditions" and phrases like that, but, put a "big sea" into the equation, and the whole boating world changes considerably.

Jarrah Jack
28-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Yeah mate. Great trolling hull, very safe.

skifalls
28-12-2016, 08:03 AM
Accidental click :-) JJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottar
28-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Yep. The 585R apparently can defy the laws of physics. Seems that with the same horsepower they are about 15% faster than all other 6 metre boats too.:o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_Z67DhDbU

:LMAO:

scottar
28-12-2016, 10:03 AM
I guess to be fair, it needs to be clear exactly what "rough seas" actually means, a bit of wind blown chop is entirely different to a (say) 6m swell with breaking tops, if we are talking about chop from 15k wind, then I doubt any of the monos would get near any of the cats for ride, we are talking about what magazines call "snotty, ordinary conditions" and phrases like that, but, put a "big sea" into the equation, and the whole boating world changes considerably.

Not just "rough seas" either. There are way too many variables to realistically put forward any more than generalizations on this subject. The skipper, the individuals tolerance for "banging", the speeds at which the individual likes to travel, the set up of the boat, the specifics of the sea on a given day. There would only be one way to put the argument to bed - which is more or less physically impossible due to the sheer cost that would be involved in taking the human element out of the equation for a direct side by side comparison on the same day with remote controls and shock sensors. Even then though the results would be specific to a set of conditions. It's an argument that will keep on keeping on for as long as people keep boating until some smart bugger manages to make one that floats on air.

Flex
28-12-2016, 10:08 AM
I think if we are to compare ride in a rec boat. You have to rule out any conditions above 20knots.

No one I know goes offshore if it's blowing 20knots all day.
Maybe put up with 15-20 if it's dropping out. But not all day long.
Also rule out getting caught in storms. Doesn't matter what boat you have in a thunderstorm. Your going to blow a kidney out

Most people head out in 5-15knot winds, so I think that's the best way to compare hulls for offshore capability.

stang69
28-12-2016, 10:56 AM
I don't own one, completely unbiased. Noelm, was the 585R the softest 6 metre mono you ever went in? if you disagree, I don't think you have been in one. Maybe you confused it with another boat?
Hard to define rough I guess as everyone has a different definition. Personally I wouldnt include huge seas and storm conditions. Maybe 20 knot winds. But then again 20 knots of South Easterly FNQ chop is different to 20 knots of Moreton Bay chop, which is different again to 20 knots in Bass Strait.
In 15-20 knots I would back the 585R against any 6 metre mono mentioned so far. But I haven't been in a 6m Cootacraft, so that would be my wild card.

Noelm
28-12-2016, 01:24 PM
To be perfectly honest, I kind of think the 585 was at best OK, certainly short of the softest ride I have been in, and no, not confusing it with any other boat, that said, there is a lot that are a hell of a lot worse too! as Scott mentioned, ride and outright speed can depend entirely on what the driver can take, or worst still, what he is prepared to put his crew through....lots of boats can go fast, it's HP that governs how fast your boat will go (planing boats this is) if you want to be the first in some sort of ocean race, then up the HP, I prefer to get there relaxed and all my gear still in one piece, and still in the boat, but then, maybe that's just old age creeping up?

stang69
29-12-2016, 07:07 AM
Noelm, which 6 metre monos were softer riding?

stang69
30-12-2016, 05:33 PM
don't be shy now. I am curious, and I am sure others are too.

stang69
31-12-2016, 08:51 AM
I guess we have our answer.
I really was curious, because I'd love to check out a better riding boat in that size, but there just doesn't seem to be one.

ozscott
31-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Mate given the time of year Noelm might be out enjoying fishing and boating and without the time or desire to be on the keyboard answering questions. Cheers

PixieAU
31-12-2016, 10:51 AM
i would guess he's just had enough of this thread.

ozscott
31-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Yes. I was being sarcastic...I'm sure he has clocked off the the thread for good reason. Cheers

stue2
31-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Shame..
I was interested in everyones thoughts on why they chose there boats.
I have been in a 585 and thought it went well.
Some skippers drive their boats a little harder than others and may not always show their boats best side. Yet others are the opposite and not see the boats real potential.
I like my vagabond and many others that have been in it say likewise but i have moved on from those good old days where nothing hurt as it does now.

Chimo
31-12-2016, 05:18 PM
You mean your body not the boat barbs don't you?

All the best to you and yours for the new year with lots of grass for you and the girls! (and the few boys that are on hand)

Cheers
Chimo

PS I like my Vag too especially when I use the tabs properly.

stue2
31-12-2016, 05:38 PM
You mean your body not the boat barbs don't you?

All the best to you and yours for the new year with lots of grass for you and the girls! (and the few boys that are on hand)

Cheers
Chimo

PS I like my Vag too especially when I use the tabs properly.
To you and yours from us and ours, have a good one cheers mate

Jarrah Jack
31-12-2016, 05:42 PM
If I said what I thought of this guy calling Noelm out ol mate LP would ban me so I won't say a thing. Happy New Year Phil.

stue2
31-12-2016, 05:55 PM
If I said what I thought of this guy calling Noelm out ol mate LP would ban me so I won't say a thing. Happy New Year Phil.
Happy new year Terry

ozscott
31-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Happy new year troops!

Jarrah Jack
31-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Happy new year Terry

You to mate,I installed the 600 today, now to try it out. Bit different to the 587 lol

WildFishExpeditions
12-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Love my 2200 Yalta Craft. heavy enough for game fishing the shelf, light enough to tow with my territory and paired up brilliant with a 150 merc.

Vromme
03-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Dont forget the 6m Sea Devil. Another cracker of a boat. Right up there with Coota's/Edens/Straiters.

I have a 520 (2nd one Ive owned) and they are a brilliant boat for their size.

stue2
03-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Dont forget the 6m Sea Devil. Another cracker of a boat. Right up there with Coota's/Edens/Straiters.

Where are they made.

wirlybird
03-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Evolution 600 very surprised at the quality of theses boats if i didn't have a 233 it would be one of these

Vromme
03-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Where are they made.

Used to be made in Ulladulla and now come from Brookvale (Northern Beaches Marine).

Noelm
03-02-2017, 02:27 PM

Now you're talking....

stue2
03-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Look good.
Wonder what they would be like with a half pod setup

stang69
04-02-2017, 04:54 PM
few more boats mentioned, still none softer riding than a 585R.

Flex
04-02-2017, 07:31 PM
few more boats mentioned, still none softer riding than a 585R.

lol, you seriously think the 585R rides softer than a 560 sharkcat or 6.2 kevlacat?

stang69
05-02-2017, 08:52 AM
If you read the previous posts you would see I refer to mono hulls 6 metres and under.
The few cats I have been in did have pretty bad tunnel slap going into a head sea though.

Smithy
05-02-2017, 05:25 PM
^6m Evolution, that's a dirty word on here after Dick Tracy's saga along with Rollinators and Shafters HH680!

Cape Crusader
05-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Quite a puzzling thread you created Stue2
I had a northbank 600C which was one of the numerous good 6m boats rather that some of the very light weights out there
The 600C which is 6m
It would be hard to step back down to a mono unless it was a 233 :-)
You have a 6m vagabond?
Always admired the 6.2m version
Cheers
Rod[

QUOTE=stue2;1624794]Just putting it out and not after the great debate but what are peoples favourite 6m boats.
Is it the deck area or transom design, perhaps the ride that gets them over the line.
I have a seafarer vagabond because of transom design and stability and that we spend most of our time at the back of the boat was the reason for getting a vagabond.
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Noelm
05-02-2017, 06:50 PM
^6m Evolution, that's a dirty word on here after Dick Tracy's saga along with Rollinators and Shafters HH680!
Jesus, you brought back some memories with that lot, there has been a few bad boat sagas over the years hey?

stue2
06-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Quite a puzzling thread you created Stue2
I had a northbank 600C which was one of the numerous good 6m boats rather that some of the very light weights out there
The 600C which is 6m
It would be hard to step back down to a mono unless it was a 233 :-)
You have a 6m vagabond?
Always admired the 6.2m version
Cheers
Rod[

QUOTE=stue2;1624794]Just putting it out and not after the great debate but what are peoples favourite 6m boats.
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
There are plenty of northbanks down here.
Some really like them but i have not yet been in one.
The vag is a nice boat. Great to fish from, rides well with tabs in the rough. How fast you go is closely related to the age of the crew. I can go pretty dam quick without any banging but my shearers back and knees prefer to go a little steadier. Still 35kmh is not bad when it blows up and 45 to 50 most days.
Just slow up when my knees say so.
Cheers
Stu

stue2
06-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Jesus, you brought back some memories with that lot, there has been a few bad boat sagas over the years hey?
And there was the chap with the Super vee

Cape Crusader
06-02-2017, 09:26 PM
I understand where your coming from, an old back injury made sitting down in any sort of sea something I soon regretted. Standing for any length of time while bashing through the waves made very painful and fatiguing from heavy chemo. Now I can sit the whole time while motoring, much easier and I don't collapse in a heap for the next few days
Cheers
Rod

552Evo
07-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Hi Smithy and NoelM, what's the go here ? I'm interested to find out what problems there are or were. Obviously I'm a customer with my username,,
If replying is the wrong thing a message is good. Cheers.

Noelm
07-02-2017, 06:53 PM
No problems replying, a guy had one and it was very badly made, stuff just kind of fell off, and I don't think (cant remember the end result) he had a lot of luck getting it fixed, the whole story just went on and on, don't know what the outcome was, do a search under Dick Tracy, it might show up.

Skusto
07-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Just read it all, was a good outcome by the looks but yes you would of been pissed at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

552Evo
07-02-2017, 08:54 PM
No problems replying, a guy had one and it was very badly made, stuff just kind of fell off, and I don't think (cant remember the end result) he had a lot of luck getting it fixed, the whole story just went on and on, don't know what the outcome was, do a search under Dick Tracy, it might show up.

Ahh yes thanks NoelM I just spent the last 2 hours (in between work) read an old thread.
Seems like everyone is happy now but holy moly what a saga.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

scottar
07-02-2017, 09:02 PM
The evo is at Crawfords for sale at the minute

Vromme
14-02-2017, 07:00 AM
If you read the previous posts you would see I refer to mono hulls 6 metres and under.
The few cats I have been in did have pretty bad tunnel slap going into a head sea though.

Ill name three:

Cootacraft Gunshot 5.5m.

Cootacraft Coldfront 6m

Cootacraft Badboy 6.5m okay this is over 6m metres - just talk to a few experienced non biased people who have been in them. Absolute beast.

https://www.thecaptain.tv/articles/bad-boy-for-love/

520 Sea Devil 20-25kn SE Moreton Bay slop blowing all night.

Devil sitting (flying) on 25- 30knots 115233

stang69
14-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Vromme, I actually said the Cootacraft coldfront was a darkhorse in a previous post. Is it softer than a 585R? I don't know, it could be. Haven't talked to anyone who has been in both, let alone an unbiased person who has been in both.
Gunshot is awesome for its size.
Those Haines based hulls are pretty good, and built well.
But every other mono mentioned so far, not close. Still waiting on Noelm to enlighten us on the many boats that are better.

Magilla1
14-02-2017, 04:23 PM
We get it. You have the greatest 6m and under boat that has ever been created since the beginning of time! Enjoy it.

scottar
14-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Still waiting on Noelm to enlighten us on the many boats that are better.

Any chance you can hold your breath until that happens ?

I got that right didn't I ............oops, my bad.;D

Vromme
15-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Vromme, I actually said the Cootacraft coldfront was a darkhorse in a previous post. Is it softer than a 585R? I don't know, it could be. Haven't talked to anyone who has been in both, let alone an unbiased person who has been in both.
Gunshot is awesome for its size.
Those Haines based hulls are pretty good, and built well.
But every other mono mentioned so far, not close. Still waiting on Noelm to enlighten us on the many boats that are better.

I have spoken to a few blokes who have, including a guy who owns a 565, theyve said Gunshot noticeably softer. Coldfront is arguably not quite as 'soft' as a gunshot (depending on sea) but bugger all in it.

A good indicator is how many guys have switched to a Coota compared with how many switch back.

A 'softer' boat is just a generalisation made up of opinion. Sea conditions vary greatly, boat 'A' may be better/softer in some conditions but worse than boat B in other conditions.

I know a few blokes who have/do own a 5.2m devil and a 6m one. the 5.2 is more often a little softer, but the 6m is the choice when you want to go wide or it gets real shitty.

PS I doubt Noel will bother responding. He has been a positive experienced contributor for years and wont argue a point when there is no point.

stue2
15-02-2017, 09:08 AM
There are many things that make a good boat. Ride is only one of them but not always the reason to purchase.
I have been in boats that ride very well but not nice when on anchor. Carribean i believe produced a 24 degree hull but went back to a 21 for that reason.
Who agrees to who is not the reason for this thread but what else people look for in their 6m boats.
Thanks to those that have contributed i enjoy reading their thoughts.
Cheers
Stu

stang69
15-02-2017, 08:27 PM
he did argue, but just didn't back it up unfortunately. I bet many other people are interested in his claims, but everyone misses out :(

ozscott
15-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Stangy how can anyone "back up" anything. It's the net. You can't. For all I know you haven't been in any 6m boat. It's just not feasible to look for proof. Besides I can tell you I am an experienced commercial skipper who has driven your favourite and my favourite through similarly awful conditions and prefer the sea keeping abilities of mine...how does that help you. Opinions are like arses and everyone has one.

One of the best ways to see what a quality boat is is to go to the ramp and see what 20 to 40 year old boats are coming in from out wide...they wouldn't keep going out if they were not good.

Cheers

stang69
16-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Exactly, its the net, anyone can say anything. At least give a few examples if you make a claim.

lembo
19-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Wow this thread has some aggressive posts, Stang69 you are been quite attacking of Noelm. the man is simply saying his opinion the exact same way you are saying yours. opinions are like arseholes mate, everyones got one.
As for the best sub 6m boat, what may suit the needs for one bloke may not for the next bloke. I'm in mackay and frequently run 120+ km offshore chasing reds, my mate lives in cooktown and does 20km runs and casts for gt. my other mate is in Brisbane he does family trips to Tangalooma. all requiring very different boats, and all see vastly different ocean conditions.

I can only comment on boats ive been in and to what suits me. I like a cabin that can sleep 2 comfortably, has 2 motors for peace of mind, lots of deck space, stability at rest and most importantly to me can travel at speed in sometimes poor ocean conditions.
heres a list of boats ive been in so you can understand me been able to "back it up"

sea swirl striper 2101 (centre console I believe is a haines mould not sure on which one)
Haines Hunter 585r, v19,v17,773,680 patiot,635 (both 680 patriot and 585r having serious build issues)
cruise craft 625, 585
formula 21
fisher 580 platey
kevlacat 6.2 (centre console) 5.2, 2100, 2400,3000
sharkcat 2300, 18ft sportsman ( my current boat podded model)
grady white 180, 228
coota craft gun shot
edencraft 6m offshore
quintrex 610 ( broke some welds while in it)
noosa cat 5.2, 660, 2300

theres a few more but I'm struggling a bit to rack my brain. now I know that a lot are over 6m. now I'm not going to say any are better then others ( except the quintrex it was awful ). but for what suits me doing long runs at speed, stability at rest and the safety of 2 motors the cats that I mentioned beat all of the monos hands down. even the little 5.2 kevlacat can travel at speeds that better any sub 6m mono ive ever been in. calmer water is a different story monos hammer.
the 23 sharkcat, 6.2 kevlacat, 2400 kevlacat, 660nc, 2300 nc are truly in a field of there own.
sub 6m the 5.8 sc and 5.2 kc are true performers and I have on many times out run much larger boats in rough seas.
so for my situation my current boat suits me, it may change but I will never say my boats better then yours or is the best.
my boats has downfalls like tunnel slap at trolling speeds. 2 motors to service, tows like crap, uses a bit more fuel,needed to rebuild the old arse thing.
but I believe it has great positives huge deck space, handles rough very well, stability at rest, ability to run on 1 donk for safety.
my mate in brissy has a 585r and it suits him perfectly and the 1 donk is so much more suitable for him.
its a simple pros and cons of each boat dependant on your own situation. just have an open mind (unlike some of the members on here)

stang69
19-02-2017, 06:10 PM
So lembo, which mono 6m metres or under was best handling/softest riding in your opinion?
On your list, once you go over 6m the Formula 21 takes the cake, but 6m and under..... it's still the 585R..... in my opinion, and many others'.
The thread after all is "which 6m boat?"

ozscott
19-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Stangy mate I think we have the message that you love a particular boat (I won't specify which cause it's just adding to the mindless Google bots totals...).

Cheers

Skusto
19-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Stang69 if you clearly can't tell lembo said the quintrex was the best boat out of them all! It's in the same class as the 585r so you should be proud!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

stue2
19-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Wow this thread has some aggressive posts, Stang69 you are been quite attacking of Noelm. the man is simply saying his opinion the exact same way you are saying yours. opinions are like arseholes mate, everyones got one.
As for the best sub 6m boat, what may suit the needs for one bloke may not for the next bloke. I'm in mackay and frequently run 120+ km offshore chasing reds, my mate lives in cooktown and does 20km runs and casts for gt. my other mate is in Brisbane he does family trips to Tangalooma. all requiring very different boats, and all see vastly different ocean conditions.

I can only comment on boats ive been in and to what suits me. I like a cabin that can sleep 2 comfortably, has 2 motors for peace of mind, lots of deck space, stability at rest and most importantly to me can travel at speed in sometimes poor ocean conditions.
heres a list of boats ive been in so you can understand me been able to "back it up"

sea swirl striper 2101 (centre console I believe is a haines mould not sure on which one)
Haines Hunter 585r, v19,v17,773,680 patiot,635 (both 680 patriot and 585r having serious build issues)
cruise craft 625, 585
formula 21
fisher 580 platey
kevlacat 6.2 (centre console) 5.2, 2100, 2400,3000
sharkcat 2300, 18ft sportsman ( my current boat podded model)
grady white 180, 228
coota craft gun shot
edencraft 6m offshore
quintrex 610 ( broke some welds while in it)
noosa cat 5.2, 660, 2300

theres a few more but I'm struggling a bit to rack my brain. now I know that a lot are over 6m. now I'm not going to say any are better then others ( except the quintrex it was awful ). but for what suits me doing long runs at speed, stability at rest and the safety of 2 motors the cats that I mentioned beat all of the monos hands down. even the little 5.2 kevlacat can travel at speeds that better any sub 6m mono ive ever been in. calmer water is a different story monos hammer.
the 23 sharkcat, 6.2 kevlacat, 2400 kevlacat, 660nc, 2300 nc are truly in a field of there own.
sub 6m the 5.8 sc and 5.2 kc are true performers and I have on many times out run much larger boats in rough seas.
so for my situation my current boat suits me, it may change but I will never say my boats better then yours or is the best.
my boats has downfalls like tunnel slap at trolling speeds. 2 motors to service, tows like crap, uses a bit more fuel,needed to rebuild the old arse thing.
but I believe it has great positives huge deck space, handles rough very well, stability at rest, ability to run on 1 donk for safety.
my mate in brissy has a 585r and it suits him perfectly and the 1 donk is so much more suitable for him.
its a simple pros and cons of each boat dependant on your own situation. just have an open mind (unlike some of the members on here)
Thanks lembo. Its what the thread is about. Reason for your particular boat that suit your fishing.
PS.
Would your mate have room for a freeloader to chase a few gt

Ocean_Spirit
19-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Let's just agree that the Quinnie Spirit is the best Aussie boat under 6 metres...

I have to laugh at the build of the 585. In 2017, why is a builder still using aluminium step tread to cover the transom join...? Doesn't speak loads about the build of the rest of the boat. Too busy worrying about the doph doph music system than building a proper boat.

wirlybird
20-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Let's just agree that the Quinnie Spirit is the best Aussie boat under 6 metres...

A Quinnie Spirit sold on facebook market place for $1500 last weekend.

FisHard
20-02-2017, 09:25 AM
A Quinnie Spirit sold on facebook market place for $1500 last weekend.
Good result!

Cape Crusader
20-02-2017, 05:46 PM
G'day
I'll agree that you get plenty of bang for your buck with a quinnie :)
Seriously, never been in one, just kidding
I did used to have a northbank 600C, that was a good boat I reckon and never heard any build quality issues like other brands. Was at the boat wash next to a 585r one day and the HH looked quite insignificant next to the 600C.
I was going to buy a northbank 750ht but when we walked in to the dealer and said, we want to buy this boat, he said it's sold, turned around and walked back inside.
So, we jumped on a plane to queensland and bought a kc2400, which was our first choice anyway
Cheers
Rod

lembo
20-02-2017, 08:09 PM
stang69 we get you really really really love the 585, youve made your point numerous times. I think you missed the point of my long winded post (took me forever to write). since the post says best '6m boat' and not' best riding 6m mono' i went on to say whats best for one is not best for another. now we get your 585 is perfect for you. but your 585 is not best for me, and is probably not best for the next bloke.
Choosing the best boats is a simple pros and cons list that suits the individuals needs, budget, local conditions, use and lots of other things.
Even if i did mention another mono ive been in that rode better you wouldnt believe me anyway. so if you want me to say the best ever 6mboat, its your mates boat. bit of fuel money and help fillet the fishsounds like the best 6m boat to me!!

Mark Andrews
20-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Bass straight ocean pro would have to be the best 6m boat going around build quality and ride are exceptional.
So glad I didnt buy a seafarer haha.;

stang69
20-02-2017, 09:19 PM
If you read my earlier post, maybe my first, I said for me the ride is the highest priority. So I am not sure why everyone got all weird about that. I don't own a 585R, just been in a heap of boats, most of the ones mentioned so far, and for 6 metres I haven't been in a better riding one. I never mentioned layout, style, build quality or anything else, just ride. So when someone says there are better riding/handling 6m boats out there, I want to know what they are.
My opinion is totally unbiased, so I guess thats why everyone gets all butthurt.

Ocean_Spirit
20-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Rod, KC 2400 is a nice rig. Plenty of boat for your dollar. Happy with it?

Cape Crusader
21-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Rod, KC 2400 is a nice rig. Plenty of boat for your dollar. Happy with it?

Very happy, suits our particular circumstances very well
Cheers
Rod

Lancair
22-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Surprised the Cruise Craft boats dont get more mentions in this thread.

sandbank pete
22-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Or Carribean (Reef Runner, C2300 or Cavalier) Has anybody got experience with these?
Currently have a Savage half cab and thinking of upgrading in the next year or so..

I like your user name Lancair.. I used to have one.. (currently go three dimensional in a C182) ☺

Lancair
26-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Sandbank Pete, way back when, I used to dream of owning a Lancair. Went for a fly in an early Australian built 235 once, WOW. Now I go three dimensional with someone else at the controls :( Maybe one day Ill be current again.

sandbank pete
28-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Getting back to boats..l just went and unexpectably (unplanned) bought myself a Berty 23.. now to tell the missus.. ideas on excuses/reasons and why I now have two boats would be appreciated ☺

blacklab
28-03-2017, 06:13 PM
We are right behind you sandbank pete !!!
Be calm, un emotive, and tell her straight.
Then take one for the team.........
goodluck

Vromme
29-03-2017, 06:50 AM
I had a No Mrs and a Boat. Then I had a Mrs and soon - No Boat.

Now I have a No Mrs and a Boat. I am happy.

Boats make you happy - Mrs dont always. :)

Oh and A Boat with a bunk is always for the Mrs.

stue2
29-03-2017, 08:15 AM
Bunch of flowers and a new kitchen table to put them on.
May not work but worth a try

Gimme5
01-04-2017, 10:20 AM
So from what I gather the HH and Seafarers are the go but are you folks talking about hulls built in the good old days or are the current versions just as good? Can someone also please enlighten me; what is the attraction of the R-Series vs the Patriots/Offshores when they've all got the same hull.

Andy56
01-04-2017, 12:18 PM
This is an interesting thread getting more interesting by the rise in temp, lol. So far we have learned that most people here judge a boat by how fast it can race through the chop. (relax guys , having some fun).
My experience is rather limited on 6m boats. Mainly an older HH 565 variety. Friends nice boat. The ride is pretty good up to a point. When it gets very hairy, the speed drops and it becomes a displacement hull, heavy is best. So at this point, i would assume they all do the same thing, unless you really like flying through the chop. At 0.5-1m swells, lots of boats ride perfectly fine. Is it the 1-2m swell thats a bit trickier to navigate.? Only those more experienced can answer that, its not my area of experience. With the smaller boats i have owned, slowing down or adding weight improved the ride out of sight, wouldnt you know, hahahah.
Not many here talk about deck area, cover (only down south, i guess) price and running costs. If its 6m double woven glass and heavy as shit, what size motor do you need to get it boogying? Bigger the motor bigger the hole in the pocket. And i strongly believe if its rated to 150, you put a 150. Build quality is another issue. HH,HS,CC,EVO etc are all top brands but which has the best build quality, NOT BLING quality. Yes i have been seduced in the past by the bling. we all love our boats but we also have a hidden little man on our shoulders that says " for a top quality boat , the manufacturer ####ed up here..." Are the older hulls better than newer hulls? so many unanswered questions.
Heres an idea, a rating system based on different catergories. i guess it just starts a shit fight over categories. Come on, somebody throw another punch.

stue2
01-04-2017, 05:30 PM
They all have faults. Just comes down to what is less likely to affect the way you fish.
We all love bling, well i do, but i cant afford what i want.
I too would like to know the reason the R is preferred. Heard it was heavier but not seen the data.
I liked the room and the transom set up in my vag.
Suits the way we fish mostly

cwcarter
01-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Haines R series has a reduced cabin size, so more fishing room.

Lancair
02-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Haines Hunter 600R is a couple of hundred KG heavier than the 595 offshore, 1150kg v 800kg I think and rated to a heap more ponies.

Gimme5
02-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Haines Hunter 600R is a couple of hundred KG heavier than the 595 offshore, 1150kg v 800kg I think and rated to a heap more ponies.

I think the 600R shares the same hull as the 625 Offshore, not the 595 which is a smaller boat. Both have same length and weight but obviously different cabin and layout. I've never seen the R nor the Offshore but the older Classic (before the Offshore) seems to have very little deck space and only 3/4 length bunks.

sandbank pete
02-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Well I'm still kickin'. I did what Blacklab suggested and so far so good, thanks mate ☺ Anyway, I will probably look at still changing the "boats" out sooner or later. I find the savage that I have a smidgen small for a lot of the fishing I like to do.. great boat and in no hurry to get rid of it. Although the bertram I just got is a bit bigger than what I planned to get (totally not considered) it will be interesting to see how I settle into it. Bit bigger than the boats being discussed here and what I was originally considering but hey, I will let you all know how it goes.