PDA

View Full Version : Never thought i would recommend another Chinese outboard....

gazza2006au
06-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Seems this time of the year Boating Camping and Fishing reduces prices on Chinese outboards, i would go as far to say they may be worthy of buying before Xmass at these prices

resale value wont go much below this in 2-3 years

Parsun 15hp $1250
next model in price bracket is
Tohatsu 18hp $2100

just only if Parsun was this cheap everyday of the week they would see sales sky rocket, their would be a huge market of second hand motors and parts...

http://www.bcf.com.au/store/boating/boats-motors/571500?page=1&pageSize=24&sort=-ProductSummaryViewsWeighted%2C-ProductSummaryViewsTotal

up the creek
07-12-2016, 06:46 PM
the long shaft is $1250 the short shaft is $1899, but i spose if you raise your transom that dont matter. and if for $1250 you get 12 months maybe a few years outta it then go 4 it. i have the 18hp tohatsu and its the same motor from my dealer as the ones they sell for commercial use with strengthened gearboxes its 40 or so more ccs then a 15 yammie and the extra 3 hp is really noticed. the tohatsu is a simple motor its a little rougher (real 2 stroke) but made to last decades if looked after. ive known my dealer for years and he dont care if i buy, he tells me honestly how much he stands by the motors he sells, unlike yamaha with the cheaper cv and having to pay heaps more to get the better motor, and mercury where you have to pay up to get a sea pro, the tohatsu is the better motor they dont do a cheap engine you get the top of the line for that $2100.00 but to sum up if i only had $1250 and wanting to go boating this crissie or not going boating id buy the parsun for an interem motor...

Triple
07-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Are the powertecs rebadged parsuns?

gazza2006au
07-12-2016, 09:02 PM
the long shaft is $1250 the short shaft is $1899, but i spose if you raise your transom that dont matter. and if for $1250 you get 12 months maybe a few years outta it then go 4 it. i have the 18hp tohatsu and its the same motor from my dealer as the ones they sell for commercial use with strengthened gearboxes its 40 or so more ccs then a 15 yammie and the extra 3 hp is really noticed. the tohatsu is a simple motor its a little rougher (real 2 stroke) but made to last decades if looked after. ive known my dealer for years and he dont care if i buy, he tells me honestly how much he stands by the motors he sells, unlike yamaha with the cheaper cv and having to pay heaps more to get the better motor, and mercury where you have to pay up to get a sea pro, the tohatsu is the better motor they dont do a cheap engine you get the top of the line for that $2100.00 but to sum up if i only had $1250 and wanting to go boating this crissie or not going boating id buy the parsun for an interem motor...

I'm not rich so i buy used boats and motors i did one time buy a new Tohatsu 18hp as u have back in 2010-2011 it cost me from memory $2099 i bought it for the beginning of summer, i put it on a 2001 Ally Craft Cody 3.75m tinny after summer was over i was selling the boat and the motor no one would pay anywhere near what i paid for the boat $1000 and motor $2099 plus i bought a brand new budget trailer for i think around $950

i paid all up $4049 plus traveling cost to pick it all up, i couldnt even sell the whole rig for $3000, i broke it all down and sold it separately i think from memory i got 1 caller about the 3 month old outboard and that was for something ridiculously like $1250 or $1300 there were just no buyers

with these Chinese outboards priced at $1250 u could use it for 2-3 seasons and still get back a $800-$850 on it compared to paying full price u don't lose out on much cost wise

i loved that little 18hp Tohatsu on the 3.75m hull it was scary fast one out, full throttle haha i rarely went full throttle and the hull was rated to 20hp, i would love another 18hp Tohatsu but i don't think its worth buying at over $2000 again

gazza2006au
07-12-2016, 09:11 PM
The BCF LS 15hp is almost half its daily listed price now if u look at this Chinese 30hp outboard that is 4 years old its retail value is $1390 where as a Yamaha of this year and HP size would be selling at $2000+ so if your able to buy a Chinese outboard at almost half the daily price i reckon it might just be a good deal

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maxus-Yamaha-Outboard-30Hp-Long-Leg-Excellent-Condition-/322345269564?hash=item4b0d46793c:g:fEIAAOSwxKtX~Z5 3

up the creek
07-12-2016, 10:10 PM
gazza bro if no1 is gonna give you good resell value for a fairly well known tohatsu then,, just my thoughts could be wrong but whos gonna pay up for a 2nd hand parsun.. and man it sucks no1 would give you good resale value me personally i buy a motor to keep until it dies i dont buy it to sell it and get my money back as you never truly get your money back... but im with you bro i was looking at a 9.8 parsun for a little creek tinnie setup and would save about 500 compared to a tohy.. and i agree there is a market for these cheaper motors i was lucky to pay up for my tohy but mind you its my first new engine in 20 years ive had $400 bangers off gumtree most my life.. wateva gets ya on the water i spose..

odes20
10-12-2016, 07:25 AM
The other good thing about the 18hp Toh is it fills the gap in the market between 15 and 25hp. Very hard to find a 20hp motor these days, so if you want that bit more grunt above 15 the Tohatsu 18 is the go too donk.

I dont ever hear stories about well kept parsuns failing so in those terms its a really good buy if 15 hp is all you need.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

up the creek
10-12-2016, 06:19 PM
yup the tohy is what some1 who only wants a 15hp takes when thinking a few hp and ccs extra wont go astray and the adverage small tinnie most guys go for with a mate and fish gear are usually rated to a 15hp and it aint to hard with some boat dealers to rerate the hull to 18 before delivery,, and yup i thought about the 20/25hp range odes but it was more then i needed so the 18 was perfect.. and once again i hear ya gazz im not rich either as i said 400 bangers off gumtree all my life and if a parsun or cheaper brand gets you on the water then better then a 2nd hand for reliability..

Magilla1
10-12-2016, 08:41 PM
yup the tohy is what some1 who only wants a 15hp takes when thinking a few hp and ccs extra wont go astray and the adverage small tinnie most guys go for with a mate and fish gear are usually rated to a 15hp and it aint to hard with some boat dealers to rerate the hull to 18 before delivery,, and yup i thought about the 20/25hp range odes but it was more then i needed so the 18 was perfect.. and once again i hear ya gazz im not rich either as i said 400 bangers off gumtree all my life and if a parsun or cheaper brand gets you on the water then better then a 2nd hand for reliability..

Crickey! I thought I was pissed then I spent a good 20 minutes deciphering this!

Edit: spellcheck spelt deciphering for me......

MERRY XMAS TO ALL!

gazza2006au
10-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Odes and up the creek, i loved that little 18hp Tohatsu only problem was i upgrade me whole rig to a 5m Quintrex so the Toh'ie was of no use

The tohatsu has a big CC block i am told compared to the 15hp models, i will take a look now..... i have a memory of a gold fish i remember what food is but i cant remember old mates hook from yesterday haha

Tohatsu 18hp 294cc
Mercury 15hp Super (i believe is the same motor as above)
Yamaha 15hp 246cc
Mariner 15hp two stroke 262cc
Mariner 15hp Marathon 262cc
Parsun 15hp 246cc

gazza2006au
10-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Crickey! I thought I was pissed then I spent a good 20 minutes deciphering this!

Edit: spellcheck spelt deciphering for me......

MERRY XMAS TO ALL!

I can and did read it i hope it wasn't meant in the wrong way as to the way i write and spell, i was illiterate for a good portion of my 35 years...

up the creek
11-12-2016, 05:34 PM
all good gazza i always get told about my spelling i never did well at school and left when i was 15,and magilla 1 if you have a few more beers it will all make sense lol. naa sorry for bad spelling i do my best haha..

up the creek
11-12-2016, 05:38 PM
yeah gazza tohy is top of its class, even though they cheat a lil and it it 3 hp more then the competitions 15hp motors... and it will be the same for me i will need to upgrade as for now its goin on a 3.5m hull and just for day trips and not to much weight,, in the future i will go about a 4m hull and need more hp maybe a 30hp.. i would go a 30hp tohy as i love em, but its fun to get different brands, i would love my 1st yammie..;D

up the creek
11-12-2016, 05:42 PM
yeah the merc and tohy are same donk just the 15 merc is a restricted 18 tohy (easily unrestricted) my mate/dealer put his 18hp tohy against a 20hp yammie, and he said the tohy beat it.. dont quote me i wasnt there lol

Flex
12-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong? But aren't parson just a direct copy of yamaha 2 strokes but made in China.?
I know a lot of parts are interchangeable.

I'd happy own a pardon for a tinny. Not as if your 100km offshore with a 15hp and need ultimate reliability.

The price of a 15-20hp motor who cares about resale value. You coukd buy 2 parsons for 1 other brand,

up the creek
12-12-2016, 02:35 PM
yeah man flex.. if you consider also that a lot of dudes on gumtree want $900 for a 2nd hand 10 year old motor cos its a yammie then why not cough up a few hundred more and have a brand new motor even if its not a big name its still gonna last longer then a 10 year old motor off gumtree.. as for the yamaha copy they usually only let the maker (parsun in this case) can only copy older motorr specs, not new ones, and or they have to change 15% which is usually a hose or screw just to pass the copy laws etc not sure why but thats what a vortex dealer told me which was similar it was a copy..

gazza2006au
12-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong? But aren't parson just a direct copy of yamaha 2 strokes but made in China.? I know a lot of parts are interchangeable. I'd happy own a pardon for a tinny. Not as if your 100km offshore with a 15hp and need ultimate reliability. The price of a 15-20hp motor who cares about resale value. You coukd buy 2 parsons for 1 other brand, I think they claim to be a mix of models there were pictures floating around side by side comparison of the Parsun and Yamaha with cowlings off they were about 90% comparable You can only buy two Parson for the Price of a Tohatsu while the special sale is on at BCF otherwise the price goes up dramatically from $1250 to $1950 or around about that which is only $149 difference to the 18hp Tohatsu on a everyday price

Noelm
12-12-2016, 05:35 PM
So then, going by the discount price, it seems BCF are charging double what they should/could sell at?

gazza2006au
12-12-2016, 05:58 PM
So then, going by the discount price, it seems BCF are charging double what they should/could sell at?

The owner/importer i Garry at island inflatables he is also a member of Aus Fish i have a history with him on the boards ha...

but i think the parsun 15hp @ $1250 is actually good value for money i wont complain about that but sure enough if BCF can off load them atthat price what on earth are they paying for them? good question Noel

TheRealPoMo
12-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Everyone's gotta eat...
What's a Honda cost the dealer SpaniardKing?
I dont seriously expect an answer and no offense intended.

gazza2006au
12-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Everyone's gotta eat...

actually i don't know the whole process from either companies i can only imagine the process...

when i spoke to Garry previously about the Parsun RRP Garry at Parsun thought it was reasonably priced

i see this is the second year BCF has had these deals on, last year they had the 25hp or 30hp on sale

Spaniard_King
12-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Everyone's gotta eat...

More than 1 normally priced Parson and Less than 2 :)

gazza2006au
12-12-2016, 08:29 PM
That might be a little different because there is no dealer on the Parsun if u buy it direct from the Sydney store

Surely BCF is not losing money on the $1250 15HP Long Shaft Outboard?

I see some things direct from China cost more than it does to buy locally unless they just see us coming and rip us a new one, look on Ali Express outboard's direct from China and Hong Kong

On the good side there is a good range of available parts for Chinese outboards online which Aussie Dealers dont have or could be bothered ordering for customers

Noelm
13-12-2016, 04:56 AM
What I was getting at, when selling at the regular price, BCF are doubling the buy price, at a minimum, I just happen to know that if ANY "brand" name outboard dealer could double their buy price on a new motor, they would be doing cartwheels and back flips, and offering Champagne to customers.....not saying they should give them away, and I fully understand everyone has to make money, it just seems strange to me that anyone can offer a brand new motor at half price if "someone" isn't over inflating the wholesale or retail price.

scottar
13-12-2016, 06:25 AM
BCF is well known within the marine industry for selling big ticket items below cost as a clearance loss leader.

Noelm
13-12-2016, 08:08 AM
That's certainly a possibility, but do they have a need to have a clearance loss every year? It's been stated they had this "sale" before. My take is, of they can (and by they, I mean the importers and retailers) sell motors at this price, and they really want to make an impact on the market, then sell them discounted all the time!

gazza2006au
13-12-2016, 10:17 AM
That's certainly a possibility, but do they have a need to have a clearance loss every year? It's been stated they had this "sale" before. My take is, of they can (and by they, I mean the importers and retailers) sell motors at this price, and they really want to make an impact on the market, then sell them discounted all the time!

If they were priced $1400-$1500 i think they would fly out the door, maybe they are priced to keep the importer under a manageable manner? if they were flying out the door can u imagine keeping up with demand in summer? lol

scottar
13-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Mr Parsun and Mr BCF are ultimately the only guys who know - my bet is that to clear a slow moving line to avoid the collection of "last years model", the stock is being loss leader dumped by either BCF individually or in Partnership with Parsun as a bulk purchase deal. As a business model, it's not great for anyone bar the consumer. The last marine discounter that used to do this on a regular basis (not with outboards though) found out the hard way it doesn't work and caused a whole heap of industry pain on their way down.

gazza2006au
13-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Mr Parsun and Mr BCF are ultimately the only guys who know - my bet is that to clear a slow moving line to avoid the collection of "last years model", the stock is being loss leader dumped by either BCF individually or in Partnership with Parsun as a bulk purchase deal. As a business model, it's not great for anyone bar the consumer. The last marine discounter that used to do this on a regular basis (not with outboards though) found out the hard way it doesn't work and caused a whole heap of industry pain on their way down.

You could be right scottar, i don't see the difference last year, this year and next years models Parsun doesn't change the design so if the motors sit packaged in plastic wrapping would there be any difference if it was old or new stock? this is something I've always wondered

usually big companies upgrade to the newest design but in this case they are a repeat of previous years

scottar
13-12-2016, 09:34 PM
You could be right scottar, i don't see the difference last year, this year and next years models Parsun doesn't change the design so if the motors sit packaged in plastic wrapping would there be any difference if it was old or new stock? this is something I've always wondered

usually big companies upgrade to the newest design but in this case they are a repeat of previous years

None except for people wanting a "new" motor - much like buying a "new" car. Not sure if Parsun has a build date stamped into their engines or not - never looked. It could also depend on whether Parsun in Australia is actually having the engines built or is simply selling whatever generic engine the factory is building with the Parsun name and paint on it. If it is the latter, it would be prudent of Parsun not to carry too much stock just in case the factory decides to spit out a new model. It could be they are contractually required to purchase "X" amount of each model each year and the long shafts just don't sell quick enough to free up the cash flow. Plenty of possibilities.

Dave_H
18-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Last time I looked all of the Tohatsu range were still made in Japan, not China..... I'll take Japanese over Chinese manufactured item if I could get it any day until the Chinese build a reputation based on longevity and quality materials that don't turn into powder within 5 years. The old addage applies: yer gets wot yer pays for.... though many have been put off certain brands by an ill concieved percieved inadequacy in some area or another which in time is shown to be nothing but bunk and bollocks.