PDA

View Full Version : My Motor is possessed (Optimax 2000 Model 135hp) help/ideas required.

bden
04-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

I have owner my boat for over 12 years and sometimes (not always) the boat will just idle up and down by itself but only at low revs. Usually at the start or the end of the day. Each time it gets serviced I mention this but no fault is recorded) and usually post service it disappears for a while.. The other day whilst driving the boat on the trailer it occurred which can be a little concerning. Thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated as I would love to get rid of this annoying little problem.

Brett

PixieAU
04-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Have you checked the hoses?

bden
04-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Have you checked the hoses?

To be honest no. Are you suggesting a leak or kink in the line?

Brett

PixieAU
04-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Was just wondering if perhaps an air leak, soft hoses or such. I'm not strong on this so my first thought was to look at the easy stuff first.

Is it idling down or up (relative to the throttle position)? In other words, is it starving or surging?

Just throwin' it out there. Others with more knowledge might have more intelligent things to add (than I can)

Lovey80
04-12-2016, 08:36 PM
When you say idling up, how many revs are we talking?

bden
04-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Around the 1200 -1500 rpm range. Idle probably normally 500-600 so very noticeable. I tried to film it tonight and guess what bloody thing ran perfectly.

Brett

bden
04-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Was just wondering if perhaps an air leak, soft hoses or such. I'm not strong on this so my first thought was to look at the easy stuff first.

Is it idling down or up (relative to the throttle position)? In other words, is it starving or surging?

Just throwin' it out there. Others with more knowledge might have more intelligent things to add (than I can)

Idling up in neutral and also at low revs in gear ( leaving the harbour or putting the boat on the trailer). Only ever happened once at trolling speed and I turned off the engine and restarted and did not occur again. No issues under way above 2000 RPM.

Brett

scottar
04-12-2016, 09:04 PM
A quick google search has a few motors showing similar symptoms with the cause being TPS (Throttle position sensor) related - either a dirty linkage, out of adjustment linkage or a worn roller on the linkage.

bden
04-12-2016, 09:45 PM
A quick google search has a few motors showing similar symptoms with the cause being TPS (Throttle position sensor) related - either a dirty linkage, out of adjustment linkage or a worn roller on the linkage.

Thankyou I think you are on to something after reading up a little I see that this problem also triggers an alarm. Sometimes I also got an Alarm but not often. I think it may be time to replace this? I will check it out tomorrow and replace if necessary.

Brett

Noelm
05-12-2016, 07:02 AM
If there has been an alarm, then a code would have been stored, the serving dealer should have read this information and suggested a solution.

Chris Tucker
05-12-2016, 01:17 PM
I think you were right with your original possession theory. Have you tried sacrificing a virgin?

Noelm
05-12-2016, 02:57 PM
A virgin...in QLD??

tunaticer
05-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Write "Etec" above the Mercury label and it will be expected.
It will be a sensor being erratic somewhere.

inveratta
05-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Ring Damien.....06 666 666