PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter 580 SLF build.

FisHard
12-11-2016, 01:53 PM
G'day folks. It's been a while since there was a juicy rebuild on this forum, so here goes:
ever since I was a teenager, I've admired the Haines 580 SLF centre cab. For a fisho, what's not to like? You've got a 19' Haines hull, proper walk around, a smallish cabin that even I, at 6'3, can lay out in, self draining deck and a workable cockpit. I still don't understand why you can't buy this boat new today, especially given the resurgence in sport fishing.
Anyway, I've always wanted one, but until recently, the opportunity to own one hasn't presented itself.
The boat:
Thanks to a tip off from a mate, I found the boat at a dealer on the Gold Coast. It had a 2006 140 Suzuki four stroke that had only done 120 hours and 12 months ago had the head replaced etc etc. the trailer was also 10 years old, but in excellent shape. The hull though, was rugged. I could tell the transom was soggy and overall it was below average condition. No electrics, but recent hydraulic steering. I snapped it up anyway and knew that at least the motor and trailer had value.
The old boat:
Over the last couple of years, I've updated a 580 Outsider Cruise Craft. It was a bit rough to start with as well, but got new transom, 2014 Tinka trailer, 2014 Suzuki 140 (bought new), 12 and 7" Simrads, trim tabs, and s great targa top with clears. Oh and new upholstery and flooring etc. A really good boat, but basically a cabin family boat adapted to fish. Good safe hull too, but not a brilliant ride.
The plan: First sell the old boat
Realistically, I'd overcapitalised on the Cruise Craft. My idea was, to swap the motor and trailer off the Haines onto the Cruisy, as well as the 12" Simrad, to achieve 2 things:
1: reduce the value of the Cruise Craft to make it easier to sell, whilst still presenting it with a low hour four stroke and a serviceable trailer.
2: keep the nice new Suzuki, trailer and Simrad for the Haines.
So I got my faithful, go to guy for all things marine, Adam Milner, to tackle the swap. He then kept my 2014 Suzuki on a rack in his factory for the time being.
So I advertised the Cruisy on Gumtree. Well, didn't it get some attention! It sold in under a week and both parties were happy with the result. Sweet!
So the Haines refurb begins:
Adam Milner was again called into action to strip the Haines hull and see how bad the rot was. IT WAS VERY BAD!!! Basically we kept one stringer, and that was it. Transom: stuffed. 6 stringers: stuffed. Bulkheads: stuffed. The floor was actually ok, but all had to go to get access under it. All good, I knew by having the whole thing rebuilt by Adam, it would be better than new and more solid than most boats built today. So go for it I say!
The original fuel tank was in ok condition, but Adam suggested to go new, and as the whole underfloor structure was being rebuilt, I could choose a bigger tank and he would build around it. So I went for 250L instead of the original 180. That made the rear kill tank smaller, but that's no problem.
Also included in Adams work was a full respray. I've always liked those soft pastel greeny blues. You know the colour of the water on a Barrier reef sand cat where blue water meets the site sand? See next post...

FisHard
12-11-2016, 02:25 PM
While Adam was doing his thing, I was amassing all the bits and pieces that go into a boat. It's a real eye opener buying all this stuff! I'm sure the chandlery industry will have a celebration in my honour!!!
The goodies:
Im one of these blokes that likes things that work for me. This boat, starting as a clean slate, gave me the chance to get it exactly how I want it. Let's have a look at the fitout.
Stainless T top: I'm very fair skinned and having a top of some sort was essential. From my last 2 boats, I knew Dave Green (Greens Marine Stainless) was just the man to build it. And what a job he did! Wow, his creation MAKES this boat! Very functional too. Could not have been happier.
Upholstery: Rowland st Boat Trimmers were employed to make a canvas top for the canopy, clears to go around the console (I didn't replace the winscreen), padded combings, new bunk cushions and the ducky seat on the front of the console. Great job!
Electrics: I kept my NSS12 from the cruisy and picked up a NSS8 off Gumtree to act as sounder and GPS. There's a GME vhf radio, Lowrance Sonic Hun with 4 speakers, fresh water shower with 60l bladder, led lighting in the cabin, under the t top and under funnel lights all the way around. Robin from Small Craft Electrics did the complete rewire inc VSR switch for the twin batteries.
Misc: Rod holders are Reelax, as are the rather special scuppers. I haven't installed the flooring yet, but will this week. Its SeaDek foam sheeting in Grey Camo. The other thing missing, is seating. I had plans to get Greeny to build a stainless frame and put a bench seat on it, but through fitting out the boat, have figured out, that would restrict access to the cabin severely. I think I will eventually put in a pedestal seat for the skipper and a padded esky (moveable) for the crew.
Performance:
i can't say too much on this yet, as yesterday was the first test run. But from that , I can say this is a fantastic hull and I'm very very happy (and not a bit relieved!) Compared to the similar sized cruise craft, the Haines is more dynamic and sporty. It loved being offshore and wasn't scared of a bit of air! Great fun! I haven't calibratied the nmea2000 yet, but it's cruising about 22-23 kts offshore at 4600 rpm which from experience is well under 20l per hour. Combined with the new 250l, will mean no more jerries of bladder on long trips!
Speaking of trips, our first proper adventure is in 2 weeks time up at Breaksea. Say g'day if you're u that way!
If you've got any questions, I'm happy to answer them :)

FisHard
12-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Some more pics...

Funchy
14-11-2016, 05:22 AM
Crikey that looks tops!! Well done. Hope you get plenty of joy from it.

ric
15-11-2016, 03:08 PM
It's great to see a project come together using top quality tradesmen like Dave and Adam.

Looking very nice indeed!

Jsmfun
15-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Doug that has come up mint. congrats to you and the minions for a fantastic transformation.
did you buy this primarily for popping and jigging and how do you think it will go in mus/fitz
cheers scott

FisHard
15-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Doug that has come up mint. congrats to you and the minions for a fantastic transformation.
did you buy this primarily for popping and jigging and how do you think it will go in mus/fitz
cheers scott
Thanks Scott! Yes popping, jigging, trolling etc etc, that's the plan! I reckon it's going to extremely well out at the Bunkers. It's the perfect layout for what I like to do up there.

Noelm
15-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Never seen that model before, how many were made? Looks a bit tricky to get into the console/bunks though.

FisHard
15-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Never seen that model before, how many were made? Looks a bit tricky to get into the console/bunks though.
Hi Noel. Not sure how many were built, but I've seen about a dozen in the last few years either for sale or on FB. You're right about access to the bunk! But it's quite roomy inside and will sleep at least one comfortably.

scottar
15-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Hi Noel. Not sure how many were built, but I've seen about a dozen in the last few years either for sale or on FB. You're right about access to the bunk! But it's quite roomy inside and will sleep at least one comfortably.

Two if you are good mates - no worries at all LOL. She has come up a treat Doug. Did you end up playing with the transducer angles ?

FisHard
16-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Two if you are good mates - no worries at all LOL. She has come up a treat Doug. Did you end up playing with the transducer angles ?
thanks Scott, yes you'd need to be very friendly sleeping in the cabin with a "mate" haha!
Transducer angle is on my to do list for sure. The sounder wasnt getting a great signal on the test run offshore.

Crunchy
16-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Nice work! Look forward to seeing her in the flesh one day...

Jarrah Jack
16-11-2016, 12:44 PM

He's been grooming a few mates. :)

FisHard
16-11-2016, 01:36 PM
He's been grooming a few mates. :)
i know I wouldn't have to ask you twice!

FisHard
16-11-2016, 01:40 PM
You know those little cast corners they put on the back corners of boats around the gunnel?
Before and after pics following a trip to the chrome platers.

Jarrah Jack
16-11-2016, 03:00 PM
i know I wouldn't have to ask you twice!

Yup, you would only survive the once!

gofishin
16-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Great result on the refurb FisHard.

Personally, not sure about the colour, but hey, it sure is unique, and we will know it's you on the water [emoji1].

Not that I recall this model, but that hull looks to have quite different lines to a mates 580 Breeze... and even looks a bit 'Seafarer-ish' ....!!

1st an old Cruisy refurb, then an old Haines, hell, an old Seafarer might even be next... [emoji16][emoji16]. If so, you will have Scotty, Chimo, Tenzing & Ocean Spirit et al all round drinking your beers... [emoji16]
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

FisHard
17-11-2016, 11:31 AM
The colour is polarising! Dave Green hated it. But I love it, so that's all that matters.
The Seafarer came first, before the Cruisy. That's how, when I say it was a dog, I can do so with some authority! But let's not go there hey... :)

Jarrah Jack
17-11-2016, 12:35 PM
The colour is polarising! Dave Green hated it. But I love it, so that's all that matters.
The Seafarer came first, before the Cruisy. That's how, when I say it was a dog, I can do so with some authority! But let's not go there hey... :)

Not hard to guess what colour Dave Green likes. lol

FisHard
17-11-2016, 12:58 PM
He hates green! Seriously!

FisHard
30-09-2017, 08:33 AM
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/holland-park/motorboats-powerboats/haines-580-slf/1160505201

Due to an unexpected expansion at work, the Haines is up for sale. See the Gumtree ad