PDA

View Full Version : It all started with a trip to the Brisbane boat show

tenzing
03-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Well not all of it. But most of it.

I started the year'a expenditure by replacing my old dunbier trailer with a new tinka . A bit of fiddling with the setup but lots of helpful friends so all done in no time.
so far so good.
Then a trip to the boat show exposed me to a bargain price on some new Raymarine goodies I had been wanting for some time. The old gear was ok but getting too small for aging eyes.
I've picked up the eS 128 with inbuilt chip downvision and a B164 1kw thru hull tranny plus all the new fangled navionics charting.
On the day I went to pick it up at the retailer at tingalpa, I was en route to bayside to pick up the boat after some minor work on the SuZi (400hrs). Now Jon had a shiny new 200 just sitting there and we got to talking. Turns out the boat show special extends for a week after, and after a ripper trade in offer for the 175 , well what could I do .

So that was about 50 hrs ago and the donk is bloody fantastic.
The electronics installation went beautifully thanks to a very long suffering friend and his son. What a great bit of dash fabrication ( done twice because he's even more anal than I am)There was a bit of to and fro with s slight technical hitch , and after trialling all the new gear I agreed with his initial suggestion that the old furuno should be retired (it really was chalk and cheese after seeing the new stuff) and replaced with a second smaller upright mounted raymarine screen visible from the transom.

Anyway all finally connected in the last week and looking and absolute treat .

The new sounder in particular is a delight to use and clearly reads the bottom ,bait balls ,and structure structure at any speed we travel .( one of the split screen images is at 45kph- it produces the same kind of images at 75!)
Clearly all that cutting and glassing WAS worth it after all mate!

It's been a very big year and I think my friends are all glad to see the back of the Vic for a while. Just some new vinyl and it will be much much better than new.

Cheers
Brendan

Firsttimefisherman
04-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Nice set up :)

Chimo
04-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Very nice setup, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Chimo

Grand_Marlin
06-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Looks a lot better than the factory setup dash!
love the pic of Brisbane disappearing quickly in the background 😎

pegasus
09-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Nicely done- looks very smick :)

Seppo BNE
17-11-2016, 12:10 AM
That looks really nice !! - Would be great to meetup on the water sometime and checkout the new toys! - I am waiting for the next boat show, wonder if I can hold out :), Nss evo3's were just announced :p

tenzing
17-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Theres almost always a boat show somewhere around the country every month or 2!

honda900
17-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Did you notice much of a difference in performance between the 175 and the 200?

Economy?

Did you change prop sizes?

Regards
Honda

tenzing
17-11-2016, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=honda900;1623437]Did you notice much of a difference in performance between the 175 and the 200?

Economy?

Did you change prop sizes?

The 200 leaves the 175 far behind.
almost the same weight and it looks like 15- 20 percent ( I cant actually believe the figures) less fuel!!
I started with the old 20" 4 blade to run it in then went to a 22" suzi 4 blade . Th 20was hitting the limiter with a bit to go but the 22' stopped at 5800 or a bit more if trimmed way out.
The 22 gave a top speed of 78 k and was pretty good across the range on fuel. Flat out the all do about 1 km per litre.
I had the 22" depitched by about 3/4 " but it then gave almost identical results to the 20!
I have just tried a 21" Mercury rev4 and it also hit the limiter but was quite grippy in the swell.

I decided that was enough props, and the 22' was probably the pick of them ( i took it up to 1770 and gave it a real good go!)
However as I had given it the chop, I thought I would check with SOLAS if they would trade my 3 1/2 yr old 4 blade on a 22" model. They had a look at it and sent me the new one today at a total changeover of $100 !!
(That included freight back to bris) - I cannot speak highly enough of them and their service.
I now have pages of speed/revs/fuel data and I am just about over it.
60 hrs on the NEW one now. I am confident that this prop will be staying , but I still have the modified suzy as a spare.

I needed to lift my bait table nearly 50mm to accommodate the taller cowling and may yet lift the motor by a hole.

I know most people would not carry on as much, but it only takes a little bit of fiddling to get it right and then its good for the life of the donk.

so very very happy with the upgrade.more power, more speed, less fuel.

honda900
18-11-2016, 02:22 PM
that's impressive, 20%.. big saving..

this is from my boat HH 6.25. for a comparo..

Raised Zuke 175 3*16*18.5 Re-calib
LPH
KM/H

WOT5850

Regards
Honda.

tenzing
18-11-2016, 04:40 PM
just off to start the process with the new 22"
All being well i will put the final figures up tomorrow

tenzing
18-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Right I am done testing props!

The solas 22' 4 blade was a standout!

Multiple runs in 10 knots and chop in the western bay:

rpm.......km/h.......km/litre

WOT......6100rpm (77/1.1)

a quick run out to the cape in the morning to check its manners and we are all done.
amazing difference in props. this last one was best in all departments on my particular setup.

Cheers

Brendan

scottar
18-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Good numbers Brendan

Ocean_Spirit
18-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Nice mate...!

A very sweet set-up and all done to a standard.

Just one observation (and I don't mean to be 'Rude'). Your WOT seems about 23km/hr down on my Victory...😉

scottar
18-11-2016, 10:45 PM
That will be the raw Etec two stroke power..................oh, And the extra fity ponies;D.114801

tenzing
19-11-2016, 04:32 AM
Nice mate...!

A very sweet set-up and all done to a standard.

Just one observation (and I don't mean to be 'Rude'). Your WOT seems about 23km/hr down on my Victory...

MAATE!
As my wife often says , Faster doesnt mean better!

We cant all have the builder allow for a 500hp donk on these things.

How is your econ at the moment?
I just finished doing 250km in these most recent tests - all on the main tank.
I still have a 50 litre subtank to go. So in my normal fishing condtions ,and not driving at 6000rpm , I should have a MAX range over 320 km.

Cheers
Brendan

Ocean_Spirit
19-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Very true!

haha - I prefer not to look at my fuel gauge (but admittedly I cannot come close to the Zuke). Scottar, how much weight can a drone carry. Might need to rig up a GPS guided fuel drone!

tenzing
19-11-2016, 04:23 PM
yeah its all a compromise.

fuel figures not as spectacular in the sloppy 1m crap this morning.just a jog out to Flinders and back from scarby for 51 litres.
total. 2 guys and 220 litres fuel plus water and junk. It wasnt pretty but cheaper than I am used to.

scottar
19-11-2016, 08:06 PM
yeah its all a compromise.

fuel figures not as spectacular in the sloppy 1m crap this morning.just a jog out to Flinders and back from scarby for 51 litres.
total. 2 guys and 220 litres fuel plus water and junk. It wasnt pretty but cheaper than I am used to.

It's good going. I went from Vic Pt out to the Cathedrals, to the One Mile back to Point Lookout, over to the coffee rock at the bottom of Moreton and back to Vic Pt on about 110 Litres. Current was CRANKING (couldn't hold bottom with a pound at the One Mile) and the fish were very uncooperative. Nice boat ride back but it was shite this morning. Do you have trim tabs Brendan? What sort of numbers are you getting just on plane?

scottar
19-11-2016, 10:28 PM
It's good going. I went from Vic Pt out to the Cathedrals, to the One Mile back to Point Lookout, over to the coffee rock at the bottom of Moreton and back to Vic Pt on about 110 Litres. Current was CRANKING (couldn't hold bottom with a pound at the One Mile) and the fish were very uncooperative. Nice boat ride back but it was shite this morning. Do you have trim tabs Brendan? What sort of numbers are you getting just on plane?

Don't mind me - just looked at the pics again - you do have tabs - what size? When it gets really crappy, where are you running the tabs and at what revs/speed are you starting to fall off the plane?. I refitted my permatrim last night. In the slop this morning the reduction in boat speed required to hold plane made for a much more pleasant trip than last Friday and although it reduces the outright maximum achievable economy, when it is crappy, I think overall it saves fuel as the attitude of the boat is better. I still run the tabs as well - fully down and reduce tab as required to correct any lean as such. It took a while to wrap my head around this as the mindset was more tab = more drag = more fuel. Didn't turn out to be the case as the improvement in hull efficiency created by achieving the extra lift is a greater influence. I am achieving a comfortable clean plane with the tabs and foil at about 2900 RPM and a boat speed of about 30Kph.

tenzing
19-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Bennets 9x12
plenty of surface area.it would need to be nasty to run full tab down.
mostly up on the way home, just one side for lean. maybe 50-60% on the way into the shit this morning.
the big elephant ears on this four blade get it up bloody quick. Dont know exactly but planing mid 3's?

Still love the indicator switch on the bennets, whatever anyone else thinks

scottar
19-11-2016, 11:55 PM
I'm running the same size in Lectrotabs - also with the indicator - so easy. In rough weather I regularly run full tabs down for the stern lift and if it gets really crap, tuck the leg in with the permatrim as well. Maybe it's just me being a powder puff LOL. Quite happy to tonk along slowly on the pilot sitting down. Hard to compare on rpm's with the Zuk given their reduction. No way in hell the 200 Etec would swing a 22" 4 blade. Currently running a large bladed 3 blade in a 17.

Be interesting one day to get the three Victory's side by side for a comparison if you are interested.

tenzing
20-11-2016, 04:05 AM
Happy to compare boats one day. Might be fun!

If my maths is right your 17" prop equates to a 22.8 on the zuke with the bigger gear reduction.
So things are pretty close.

You certainly notice the arse lift with the 4 blade.
In fact at wot on Friday there was a noticeable lift in the bum when I put the throttle down.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

scottar
20-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Very true!

haha - I prefer not to look at my fuel gauge (but admittedly I cannot come close to the Zuke). Scottar, how much weight can a drone carry. Might need to rig up a GPS guided fuel drone!

Just more Jerry cans mate. Ever watched the fail army clip on drones LOL.'

scottar
20-11-2016, 07:08 AM
Happy to compare boats one day. Might be fun!

If my maths is right your 17" prop equates to a 22.8 on the zuke with the bigger gear reduction.
So things are pretty close.

You certainly notice the arse lift with the 4 blade.
In fact at wot on Friday there was a noticeable lift in the bum when I put the throttle down.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

Sounds like a plan. I will chat to Andrew about it. We have a family day trip to tangalooma or Tipplers on the cards once he is back on deck. Might be a perfect opportunity.

Seppo BNE
21-11-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm keen to catch up as well, would be great to see different setups as well :), Wonder if Andrew might have a chance to find the G2 powered Seafarer as well?? :)

scottar
21-11-2016, 11:23 PM
Sure Seppo, the more the merrier. Don't know about the G2 - think it lives down the coast now. I will talk to him about it. Will keep you in the loop as to when - might be a few months or so due to family commitments.