PDA

View Full Version : Thru Transom water pick-up

timTD157
31-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone who has this style of pick-up.114646 would be so kind as to measure the outside diameter of the tube?

I't appears the previous owner of my boat decided it was not needed, so I can only fill the bait tank when stationary. I am trying to find a suitable piece of tube without having to replace the whole fitting.

I should add that is off a late Fry era Seafarer.

Cheers,

Tim

Crunchy
31-10-2016, 03:40 PM
10mmID, ~13mmOD, mine a bit different, it has a gentle bend in it rather than 90Deg turn which I imagine restricts the flow to some degree.

scottar
31-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Where abouts are you Tim and what length do you need ? Think I have some of this in the shed. If installed as per instructions the only thing that holds the pipe in place is a small rubber insert in the lower clamp - it could have just fallen out

jake187
31-10-2016, 07:37 PM
i added a water scope on back of my seafarer. cause i had same issue is just a $3 part from whitworths n look like a cricketer cup with vertical slits in it. fixed my issues just attach straigh over seacock going through transom

timTD157
01-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Scottar,
I am in Noosa; well the boat is in Noosa I am currently bobbing around in the Timor sea so I haven't got an accurate measurement but imagine at least 6 inches. There is no evidence of the bottom clamp/saddle nor any holes in the transom so my guess is it was never installed, or the saddle wasn't used and it fell out on the first trip?
I have access to plenty of 316 1/2" tube if that is what the size is and was hoping to make something work instead of spending the $85 that Whitworths want for the whole thing.
Cruchy,
Thanks for the measurements; being picky could it have been slightly less than 13mm? say 12.8ish if so 1/2" will fit the bill nicely.

Cheers,

Tim

scottar
01-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Work or play Tim? The piece I have from one of these is 5/8"OD and about 25cm long. You are welcome to it but I am Brisbane south side so would probably be cheaper to source locally. If there are no holes lower down the transom then you will either need to fabricate or purchase a lower mount (which probably means purchasing a whole kit ) . The vertical pipe is held entirely by the lower mount and is only sealed into the through fitting with a rubber seal. With no other holes you are most likely correct that it was never installed.

Crunchy
01-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Cruchy,
Thanks for the measurements; being picky could it have been slightly less than 13mm? say 12.8ish if so 1/2" will fit the bill nicely.

Cheers,

Tim

With my dodgy eyes and the wooded school ruler I used then absolutely it could have been 12.8!!

timTD157
01-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Scottar,

I work out here in the doldrums.....
The info I have is that it is 16mm or 5/8" so it seems to be the right size. But as you say I still need some sort of saddle to secure it so looks like I will bite the bullet and buy one.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tim

scottar
01-11-2016, 08:31 PM
What are you on Tim if it's not rude to ask?

If you have access to a tig it wouldn't be too hard to fab up what you need - a simple plate of the right thickness welded securely across the back of the pipe with a couple of holes for screws would be ample.

timTD157
02-11-2016, 01:34 PM
I work on a gas platform Scottar about 500km Nor west of Darwin.

I would like a TIG in my shed but just cant justify the outlay. And the last time I got some engineering type work done in Noosa I almost needed a line of credit.

I do have a few little stainless jobs to do though so it might be worth looking on eBay for a little TIG.

scottar
02-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Cool. On tugs myself (when there is work). You can do it with stick as well but it don't look so pretty - well mine doesn't. I will be looking into the tig torch for my inverter caddy welder next time a job pops up.

Dignity
05-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Boat Noosa but working in Timor Sea, sounded like a scam almost 😆
As Sottar says, just weld a plate to the back, mine is tailor made that way.

Tracker
06-11-2016, 08:46 AM
I Fit one to my boat a few years ago,I THINK there is a rubber gasket/sleeve thing in the elbow and the pickup pipe fits into that....

scottar
06-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Boat Noosa but working in Timor Sea, sounded like a scam almost 
As Sottar says, just weld a plate to the back, mine is tailor made that way.

LOL. No Scam Dignity. If Tim has bought the rig I think he did, it was only just recently from Crawford's. Good looking rig Tim.

timTD157
06-11-2016, 12:39 PM
That would be the boat.

What a machine it is in a following sea, absolute beast. I am struggling to keep the bow down though when running head on into a decent sea, but some Tabs should sort that out.

First trip out was to the Banks and about 15 mins in I commented to the decky that I thought it rode a bit harder than I had hoped. Took another few minutes to get the ground speed up on the i command gauges, and low and behold I was doing 38 knots.... So all in all I am wrapped, turns out all the seafarer love is justified.

Christened it with a nice Cobia and few tuskies and Trag.

Dignity
06-11-2016, 06:33 PM
LOL. No Scam Dignity. If Tim has bought the rig I think he did, it was only just recently from Crawford's. Good looking rig Tim.

Jesting Scottar. Agree, good looking rig.

scottar
06-11-2016, 09:12 PM
All good Dignity, figured as such. Always good to blood a new toy with some decent fish Tim. The tabs will help mate - they certainly did on my Victory. Foils are worth thinking about as well if you don't have any aversion to drilling some holes in the AV plates.