PDA

View Full Version : Anyone installed a flush mount tackle station/box in their tinnie?

Firsttimefisherman
17-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Hi guys, To save a bit more floor space in my tinnie I am considering installing flush mounted tackle stations (Like the one in the photo below) in the bench seats.

Has anyone done this? Is it difficult? How stable are they once you add trays full of sinkers and the like?

Any tips would be great. If you have photos that'd be even better. (of the install, not of you! hehe)

ozynorts
17-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Keep in mind that those bench seats contain your flotation foam.

Noelm
17-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Those storage things are OK, a fair bit of cutting to fit, make sure the door is fitted so it opens down, or you will be pissed off with it hitting your hand getting the boxes out, and, make sure the door can fully open, or the bottom box won't come out.

scottar
17-10-2016, 02:42 PM
You will be removing a significant amount of the strength from the seat putting that size cutout into the vertical surface. I would give serious thought to replacing the structural integrity if you go ahead - especially if you are "big boned" like some of us.

Noelm
17-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Yes, it does take some strength out of the vertical section of the seat, but the actual frame when screwed in, kind of adds a bit too, so in a way, it's not like just cutting a hole (if you get what I mean)

scottar
17-10-2016, 08:18 PM
I get what you mean Noel but lets just say I don't have quite the same faith in the plastic box LOL. We regularly stand on the seats in our tinnies and I hazard a guess that my at times ample frame could well cause a buckling of the seat with the vertical reduced in such a manner if one was to point load the thwart in the wrong spot. I would also be concerned about stress cracking due to flex with extended rough weather use.

Firsttimefisherman
17-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks all, a bit to think about. Could be more a pain than it is worth. May just need a bigger boat :)