PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Custom Craft 6m cuddy

NothinSuss
13-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Gday,

I'm currently looking at a 6m cairns custom craft cuddy layout, trailer and motor are stuffed so it's the hull I'm buying. I cant do a sea trial so it's a bit of a punt as I have never been for a ride in a 6m CCC .

Anyone out there own or been in a 6m Cairns custom craft and have any comments or reviews you can offer up as to the ride, performance and stability.

I measured the deadrise aft and is about 12-13°, the entry forward looks to be quite sharp, and was powered by a 115hp 4 banger, hull year is 1995.

Any advice, comments welcome. Sorry no pics, forgot to take one when I looked at it...

Cheers Pedro

Chimo
13-10-2016, 10:20 AM
G day Pedro

I suggest you contact Peter Webster and ask him. He or his son may be able to assist

Phone (07) 5564 2562
Fax (07) 5564 2463
Emails editor@ausboatmags.com.au
subs@ausboatmags.com.au
admin@ausboatmags.com.au
Web Site: www.australianboatmags.com.au

PS I have no involvement with them except I subscribe to his mag.

Cheers
Chimo

Smithy
13-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Bakes on here had one many years ago that I have done a few hours in. It was only a 5.5m with a 90 Etec. Rode real well for the size. Downsea it was a bit tender and once we started loading as much weight as possible down the back it was a lot better but it could still do the odd layover but never broached I can remember.

NothinSuss
13-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Chimo,

Thanks for the reply, I'll track him down.. Thanks

NothinSuss
13-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Bakes on here had one many years ago that I have done a few hours in. It was only a 5.5m with a 90 Etec. Rode real well for the size. Downsea it was a bit tender and once we started loading as much weight as possible down the back it was a lot better but it could still do the odd layover but never broached I can remember.

Smithy,

Thanks for the reply.. I rang Marsel from CCC this morning, he knew the boat when I described it to him, as it has a few unique features, the first thing he said to me was "buy it" you'll love it. Typical that the designer/builder would say that, and I've heard it before, but he was pretty confident about it, to the point that I was surprised on his straight up reaction.

Cheers Pedro

Noelm
14-10-2016, 04:44 AM
I guess something to think about might be the fact that "the motor and trailer are stuffed" could mean the boat has not been looked after? I don't know of course, because I have never seen the boat, but it would be something to consider.

NothinSuss
14-10-2016, 07:31 AM
I guess something to think about might be the fact that "the motor and trailer are stuffed" could mean the boat has not been looked after? I don't know of course, because I have never seen the boat, but it would be something to consider.

Noelm,

The boat has sat in the blokes yard for 4-5years due to personnel reasons, he's come from a small coastal town in Arnhem Land, so the trailer was built basic to get him to the ramp 500m away, so it's not registered and has got the cancer. Motor threw the timing belt on his last trip.....

Hull is fine, no corrosion and no cracking.

He reackons it performs great, but it's the only boat he's every owned so....... and I've never been for a ride in one... so just hard to pick if it's going to be any chop ( pardon the pun ) The lines look good to me, so might be worth a punt, I'll put it through a full rebuilt.

Noelm
14-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I would buy it in a second if the price was right, looking for something like that right now...