PDA

View Full Version : 4.5m V Punt Plate Boat, What would you include???

Skusto
28-09-2016, 08:05 PM
Hey Guys

Im getting a 4.5m V Punt Boat built soon and before the builder starts to work just trying to make sure i have the fundamentals covered. This boat will mainly be used for Creeks, Estuaries, Stanage Fraser etc. So not looking to go offshore or Bay work except for the Fraser trips and even then wont launch unless its good weather.

Now the boat will also mainly be used for Crabbing and Prawning with the occasional fishing have a larger boat for offshore work. So below is the list of what im getting done just let me know if you think i might have missed something.

4.5m V Punt 10 Degree Dead Rise.
Tiller Steer
Reverse Chines
Self Draining Deck
Underfloor Fuel Tank
Standard Transom as i don't want live wells etc.
Fully welded Checker Plate Floor no Carpet.
Front Casting Hatch with, Dual Battery underneath, Switch plate inside so as out of weather. Stereo inside again so out of weather.
Navigation Lights
Under Gunnel Lights
Deck Wash
Kill Tank but with a Bilge pump installed so as when i'm mud crabbing overnight i can leave the crabs in the kill tank but recycle the water so as they don't die.
Minn Kota Bracket- purely just as a in case
Possibly Rod Locker to one Side for hidden Rod Storage.
Rear Steps to both sides of back of transom mainly doing both sides as i have found the help protect the engine when turning around in tight creeks if you miss seeing a Mangrove.
Swing away bracket for Sounder so as can move out of the way.

95SV Garmin Sounder - Is this a good Sounder for Creeks etc??

Aluminium Skid Trailer 4x4 Style for fraser.

If you have any ideas or extras that you would included please let me know!, Only want to do this once

Cheers

kc
28-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Sounds like you are designing for the long term but if you ever planned to sell it, IMO, live well, a must. Deck wash, great addition. Checkerplate floor! Hard hot and noisey. Personally, love a little side console. Comfort, storage and a great mount for rod holders. For a creek boat, the side scan sounders are revolutionary. Top of the range hummingbird opens up a whole new world for snag fishing in creeks. Minn Kota bracket, a must have. Wire in the power outlet for the Minn Kota with as Anderson plug and you can then charge batteries from this point rather than have to access batteries direct. 4.5 is a great size for a good creek boat with inshore capabilities on a good day. Have fun.

Skusto
28-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Thanks for your reply KC, yes for the long term have resided the fact that you need two boats one for creek bay work one for offshore work.

That is the good thing about the kill tank it will virtually double as a live well as well if needed. I won't ever use a live well so I don't really want to loose the deck space as with a 4.5 you could imagine that there isn't really heaps of room but if you go bigger then they aren't as good in tight creeks it's a trade off I'm willing to live with.

And yes checker plate floors can be hot and hard but due to the creeks that we work are just muddy as the deck gets covered in mud from the pots and nets etc this is the main reason for the deck wash so as we can wash the boat down when crabbing so as to keep the deck clean plus we generally have to pack the camping gear back in the boat on most trips so would be great to put the gear into a salty but clean boat rather then the crust muddy boats currently.

That's a great thought about charging batteries thanks will certainly ask the builder thank you.

So would you choose hummingbird over Garmin? Have just been told the side scan on the Garmin is probably one of the best around?

Thanks for you time.

Kondo 1
29-09-2016, 08:07 AM
I had a 998si, replaced with and Onix 8 Si, thankfully that eventually died and I replaced with a Garmin 7410XSV with Panoptix (needs another transducer yet as I only have the Panoptix and I think it needs the downvu as well).

The Garmin is allot more user friendly, is much nicer to use, technology is better. 998 is archaic, the Onix 8 was incredibly slow and I never rated its side imaging or sounding qualities.

I am just thankful the hummingbird sounders I had were secondary units only to the Furuno TZT because as much as I tried I just couldn't like them. I persisted, mainly because I had the Ipilot Link on the Minn Kota, but even that didn't seem to work that well and I just reverted to using the Minn Kota in the traditional sense with Spot Lock etc all off the remote. In the end I replaced the Minn Kota with a non Link Ulterra and the Garmin, and whilst I haven't used it as much as the former I like them allot more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chris Tucker
29-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Lose the checker plate its slippery as hell when wet or muddy. Its a great product if you're going to paint it with non-skid like commercial operators do but as bare ali it doesn't offer the advantages people expect. rough sanded or grit blasted ali will give you much more non-skid than the checker plate and will usually be cheaper. If you minimise the number of thicknesses and types of ali used in the build you get a lot better utilisation of the plate the builder has to buy.

Beyond that your spec sounds OK 10 degrees is quite a high deadrise for a V nosed punt. but that is not a big deal either way.

also if you're going to be crabbing have a look at how we do the casting deck on Hammerhead's Sandflies. The casting deck has a raised lip at the back creating a shallow trough which is then drained overboard. Gives you somewhere to dump crab pots without filling the boat with mud.

https://scontent.fmel3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/12402001_1029729553752172_2482228594728748238_o.jp g

kc
29-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Have not had anything to do with Garmin sounders and didn't even know they did a side scan. I have run Lowrance for years and just put a big Furuno in my reef boat. I put a hummingbird into my creek boat and just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Like watching TV when running along a snag edge. If Garmin do the same, then by all means as they are generally a better quality sounder. Hummingbird interface with Minn Kota I-pilot which is why I went Hummingbird in my creek boat, plus transducer includes side scan whereas Lowrance was an extra.

sjp2
29-09-2016, 03:41 PM
my boat got Nyalic on the floor ,takes the glare off bare Ali,is cooler to touch and doesen't make checker plate slippery ,and i reckon it looks good - but don't let any petrol or similar spill on it .

Skusto
29-09-2016, 05:59 PM
thanks for the concerns with the ally checker plate floor but will be staying with it we already have a boat with the checker plate and i love it so easy to clean and have never had an issue with it.

Will think about the lip with the front casting deck as well cheers food for thought.

Yeah i would of used nyalic but i am having a deck filled bung so i know i will pill fuel on the floor sometimes (most Times) so wouldn't want to have to touch it up all the time.

robcam
30-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Hey Skusto, are you getting Chris from Iconic to do this boat. If so that`s my 5.5m he`s doing at the moment, build thread on here and I will update it when he gets a bit further on. A few people are looking for your style of boat and will be checking your build.

Moonlighter
30-09-2016, 02:37 PM
thanks for the concerns with the ally checker plate floor but will be staying with it we already have a boat with the checker plate and i love it so easy to clean and have never had an issue with it.

Will think about the lip with the front casting deck as well cheers food for thought.

Yeah i would of used nyalic but i am having a deck filled bung so i know i will pill fuel on the floor sometimes (most Times) so wouldn't want to have to touch it up all the time.

I agree with you re the checker plate floor - had mine for 6 years now without anyone expressing concerns. We just wear crocks or Shimano evairs and it's all good, never slippery.

Skusto
30-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Hey Skusto, are you getting Chris from Iconic to do this boat. If so that`s my 5.5m he`s doing at the moment, build thread on here and I will update it when he gets a bit further on. A few people are looking for your style of boat and will be checking your build.

Hey Robcam

Yes Chris will be building it! I went down to get another boat repaired and saw your boat then started talking about a V Punt and now just ordered one.. So it has turned into an expensive boat repair ha ha.

Chris is a good bloke have hounded him alot lately with ideas and everything and has always returned calls or stop his work if i have dropped in to make sure we are both on the right and same path, (sorry for delaying yours a little with bugging him)

Yours is coming along nicely have been watching it closely as you can imagine. Now i just want him to finish yours so can start mine.. ;) ha ha all in due course though!

I will put up photos once it has started and progressing.

Cheers Dan

BAR UP
08-10-2016, 05:58 AM
[QHurry up you pair of beggars, also talking to Chris Gallagher from Iconic boats about a 5.8 or 6mtr boat. Just wanna see how ROBCAM's boat performs and Chris's 6mtr if he ever gets on built for himself.;D;D;DUOTE=Skusto;1621739]Hey Robcam

Yes Chris will be building it! I went down to get another boat repaired and saw your boat then started talking about a V Punt and now just ordered one.. So it has turned into an expensive boat repair ha ha.

Chris is a good bloke have hounded him alot lately with ideas and everything and has always returned calls or stop his work if i have dropped in to make sure we are both on the right and same path, (sorry for delaying yours a little with bugging him)

Yours is coming along nicely have been watching it closely as you can imagine. Now i just want him to finish yours so can start mine.. ;) ha ha all in due course though!

Cheers Dan[/QUOTE]

Skusto
08-10-2016, 03:19 PM
[QHurry up you pair of beggars, also talking to Chris Gallagher from Iconic boats about a 5.8 or 6mtr boat. Just wanna see how ROBCAM's boat performs and Chris's 6mtr if he ever gets on built for himself.;D;D;DUOTE=Skusto;1621739]Hey Robcam

Cheers Dan[/QUOTE]

Ha ha well you will be waiting for a little while now don't think i will get mine back before i fly away so looking at a January Delivery now i would think.

Will be good to see his 6m Half cab will be interested to see how it goes!