PDA

View Full Version : Beach Launching

552Evo
28-09-2016, 06:51 PM
G'day All,
One day, I would love to be able to launch my boat at my regular beach in Torquay - were we head to most weekends.

Let me explain that the nearest "normal" boat ramp that I'm aware of is Barwon Heads about 20 minutes away but the catch is my new boat won't fit under the bridge to get out to the bar.
The next boat ramp would be Geelong I guess ?

The old boat ( half cab ) was no problem at the Barwon Heads bridge but the new centre console boat is too tall.
There is a sort of ramp at Torquay Beach but it is a surf beach and watching the locals in their 4-5 meter boats and jet skis they all do the following:

1- Boat and vehicle down on the sand at waters edge disconnect the trailer,
2- attach a rope to the trailer
3- push the boat and trailer into the water
4- launch the boat
5- using their vehicle, drag the trailer via the rope
of the water.
So today I fitted the boat trailer with a swing down spare wheel - I got it for nothing thanks to the boat builder. These devices apparently aid with beach launching I guess because the elimination of the small jockey wheel at the front of the trailer when in the sand.
Anyway
A - has anyone launched a 6.2m or larger fibreglass boat and dual axle trailer off the beach.
How ?
B - Should I just not. Forget about it. Don't risk it.

I've regularly eyeballed the Torquay beach ramp and some days are quite calm so waves and wash into the stern of a boat when launching would not be an issue.

C- The whole process is possibly null and void by my better half who won't reverse a trailer and isn't experienced in the boat.

But I'm optimistic if it's doable. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chimo
28-09-2016, 07:19 PM
552 EVO

I did the beach launch thing with my 5.6 cabin boat the way you described including using the long rope. i also had a fresh water river with a good boat ramp near home that i could flush the salt out of the trailer after each beach happening.

When it got rough and the boat had to come out the trailer was pushed in front first and the bow then faced the waves which prevented the waves washing over the stern which they certainly will do much to your regret.

We loaded the boat so it was at least a meter short of the winch post so the weight distribution allowed the trailer to be dropped onto the tow ball on the beach after the long rope pull out.

Notwithstanding all the above and the fact that using the correct technique it is doable BUT your trailer and its electric over hydraulic brakes (if you have these) will not thank you for the treatment.

Its not so bad with cable operated mechanical brakes which is what I had on that boats trailer.

There is no way I would do the beach launch thing with the 6.2 Seafarer Vagabond and the Tinka tandem electric over hydraulic brake setup. As it is I got so sick of repairing the brakes on the tinka that i now rarely get the brakes wet but us a pulley block and double cable with the electric winch and skull drag the boat onto the trailer. takes a little longer but the brakes will last without much if any issues for the long term future.

Maybe your solution is to rig up a simpler "beach style trailer" but you will have to be able to transfer your boat between trailers if you want to drag the boat far from the beach.. This is not the end of the world with enough tyres and a lawn to drop the boat on between trailers but a couple of good winches and willing workers will be a must.

Best of luck with your exploit, just make sure you set things up so as to avoid the risk of 'she told you so' comments!

Cheers
Chimo

552Evo
28-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks Chimo,
I've had this inkling that it might doable but a tad too risky virtually by myself. I think you just helped me make up my mind [emoji106].
I have no problems at all at a half decent ramp but it's looking like the whole rope and trailer procedure is only doable for me if I've got a committed deck mate.
I'd still like to give it a go one day.
Oh and yes my trailer is a dual axle with mech brakes.
Usually after a day in the bay I just give it (the trailer) a sprinkle with the hose but dunk in fresh water is a great idea. But I don't have a fresh water river or lake nearby [emoji38].
I do have a car wash [emoji4]

Chimo
28-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Evo

It certainly is more of a proposition with a good deckie. At least with your mechanical brakes and the front rolling full sized wheel you should be OK if you decide to give it a go..

You do need a good long and strong rope to haul out with and once you get the trailer and boat out and parallel on the beach its just a matter of backing the 4x4 back to the trailer, dropping it on the ball, winching the boat up the last meter or so, collecting the rope and driving to the car wash!. We used to hang the sandy wet rope so it was out the back of the transom to keep the crap out of the boat.

Take pictures or it didn't happen!!!

cheers
Chimo

Out-Station
28-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Evo, in my opinion a 6.2 glassy is pushing the limits for the "jockey and rope" method. I'd firstly look at a conventional "beach bar" setup. Basically a 2m or so rigid extension to the draw bar (various different ways, just search ausfish). Given a beach bar only gives you so mach extra it may be that your rear vehicle wheels are in the slop in order to get enough water at the back of the trailer but the nature of the setup is way better for bigger heavier rigs like yours.

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or9SM9oCli8

552Evo
28-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks Out-Station that video is great. [emoji106][emoji106]

ryangler
28-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Dropping the pressure in your tyres will help too, extend the footprint of the tyre

Aussie123
28-09-2016, 11:51 PM
We used to beach launch on Torquey beach all the time about 30 years ago.
The boats were all 6m plus glass boats and we backed them in fast and shot them off the trailer in between the lulls if there was any sea running.
As soon as they hit the water you need to push them around so the bow is facing into the incoming waves.
When retrieving, we drove the boats onto the trailer on a lull and pulled them out.
There used to be a tractor there as well that you could use for a small fee if the sea was too rough to back your vehicle into the water.
It is definitely a 2 man job at the very minimum on that beach but very doable.