PDA

View Full Version : Calling experts of cooling system of Volvo or OMC Stern drives

ThePinkPanther
28-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Hi Guys,

This is a repost of a problem I had about 18 months ago and in spite of some really great help from Ausfish, it could never be solved!

I'll try to be as brief as possible...................

1996 Whittley Cruisemaster powered by a 1995 Ford Windsor 351 V8 inboard with the usual mix of some Volvo Penta Parts in the accessories such as cooling manifolds, stern drive, exhaust risers etc.

For no real reason it started to overheat ON THE PORT SIDE ONLY. Coincident with this was the discovery of a small cylinder head crack in the STBD HEAD.

The weirdest aspect of the temp issue was that when I trimmed the bow UP, the temp also increased markedly. Trim the bow DOWN and down came the temp! Cruise along with zero trimming and the temp stayed down forever.

OK, jumping ahead somewhat I employed a "marine mechanic" who I know can do good work to rebuild the motor from the ground up as being some 20 plus years old it was in need of some serious work. To say he cocked it up 1000% would be the understatement of the year, I won't even go into it here but after discovering he hadn't tightened the PORT cylinder head down correctly, it soon filled the bores with water, seized and I had to pull the whole thing apart and rebuild it again.

If I do say so myself it came up very well and runs like a new motor but ...................... the temperature problem is still there! I feared it would be as I never discovered one single thing during the rebuild that I could say would cause the overheating.

So what was down from ground up was:

1. New impellor and check the intake holes were not blogged
2. New bellows, universals and intake seawater pipe
3. Complete overhaul of the RAW water intake pump
4. Replace all inlet pipes to the manifolds
5. New thermostat
6. New cylinder heads, manifolds, exhaust risers, gaskets, seals etc. etc.
7. The entire motor received new pistons, rings, rebore, valves and all the other stuff you would expect
8. The inflow of water to both manifolds is "huge" and unrestricted
9. Not a sign of a water leak anywhere
10. New Dizzy and retimed, new plug leads, coil and most anything you could think of.

But back in the water and whilst it performs beautifully it is back to the same old trick again with the overheating on the PORT side.

I have an IR Temperature sensor that I use to check temperatures and it confirms what the gauge and my hand both feel, very hot on PORT side. The max temp limit reached is about 80C and whilst this is not far away from the normal limit I can't see why it should be so. The STBD side runs a good 30 C below the PORT side.

And it is still the BOW up/down action that triggers the temp increase! Leave it alone and it is a happy motor.

I have back pressured water down the intake pipe rear of the RAW pump and it pours out of the ten intake holes on the lower gearbox. There is oodles of salt water being pumped into the motor on both sides. If I pull off one pipe you could put a fire out with it it is so strong!

So why does this BOW lifting movement cause such an instantaneous and rapid increase of the temp? It doesn't muck around and peaks within about 10-15 seconds as the BOW rises. The actual angle that the 10 intake holes in the lower leg increase by is pretty minimal and I just can't see the water flow into them being affected in the slightest as the BOW only goes up by about 10 degrees max!

So I and lots of other smart guys are pretty well lost! I've had some very clever guys ponder this problem and we are not even close to an answer!

My apologies for the above explanation if it is a bit hard to follow but it is pretty difficult to get everything in the right order and with the fact so much has been tried to correct it!

In summary, drop it in the water, leave the trim alone and she runs like a new boat all day long. Blip the trim up a few degrees and it cooks the PORT side! Bloody amazing!

Many thanks guys!

PixieAU
28-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Has it been 18 months already...

Stab in the dark here but is it possible that you're getting an air pocket in front of (or even inside) the intake when it's trimmed at certain angles?

PixieAU
28-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Ooo.... I'll have another guess... Is the water line crimping when it's trimmed up

Not trying to be a smart ass, just throwing around ideas

PixieAU
28-09-2016, 06:27 PM
I know nothing about stern drives, obviously

Greg P
28-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Just a question.

Is 80 degrees on the port side really excessive? Maybe the issue is why is the starboard manifold not reaching normal water temp?
Not familiar with cooling circuit, what is the flow sequence from the raw water intake?

ThePinkPanther
29-09-2016, 02:24 AM
Ooo.... I'll have another guess... Is the water line crimping when it's trimmed up

Not trying to be a smart ass, just throwing around ideas

Thought exactly the same myself so a good thought! But no, had a good look under the leg and not possible but thanks anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

ThePinkPanther
29-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Just a question.

Is 80 degrees on the port side really excessive? Maybe the issue is why is the starboard manifold not reaching normal water temp?
Not familiar with cooling circuit, what is the flow sequence from the raw water intake?

Thanks Greg! It's just that for some 20 years the old girl never once had this differential of temps, always ran real cool at around 60 C then out of the blue up goes one side by over 20 degrees but a good point! I might have to accept it is within limits but just why it would be there again after every possible component you could think of was serviced or replaced in the cooling system has got me!

I blew backwards through the intake pipe today and water pouring evenly out both of the sets of pickup holes in the leg!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

inveratta
29-09-2016, 11:53 AM
I had an inboard for ten years and it was the second happiest day of my life when it was replaced !

Notwithstanding that, we had a overheating issue( not a V8 though) and in the end I got the water flow specs from the manual and arranged a series of bleed offs so we could check the flow was within spec. with the motor running. In your case you would have to be able to do it when the leg is being trimmed and see if ,where the flow changes

Not familiar with your layout but would it make any sense to try and balance the flow of cooling water by restricting the stbd side a little?

ThePinkPanther
29-09-2016, 08:21 PM
I had an inboard for ten years and it was the second happiest day of my life when it was replaced !

Notwithstanding that, we had a overheating issue( not a V8 though) and in the end I got the water flow specs from the manual and arranged a series of bleed offs so we could check the flow was within spec. with the motor running. In your case you would have to be able to do it when the leg is being trimmed and see if ,where the flow changes

Not familiar with your layout but would it make any sense to try and balance the flow of cooling water by restricting the stbd side a little?

Damn smart idea! Wouldn't be that difficult just to pinch the STBD hose a touch and see if the pressure shoots a bit more towards the PORT side!

I'll get back with the results!

Thanks!