PDA

View Full Version : Fishing etiquette

Cav(J.C.)
18-09-2016, 11:43 AM
I know the problem of selfishness, arrogance, inconsideration will never be solved by writing in this forum, but it is like all of the problems in our society, cultural and attitudinal change will never be effected, unless the problems are discussed, and peoples expectations of behaviour are widely accepted.
Fishing in the ocean is one of the most pleasurable pursuits a person can have. It relieves stress (or is supposed to) thrills the hunter, activates the brain, and the muscles, and if skilful and lucky, feeds the family.

All of this can be spoilt by the actions of those who have been previously described.

As in all activities taken up by humans, there have been manners evolved which make the activity pleasurable for all participants. Mostly these have been enforced by a gentle , or not so gentle rebuke, by those effected by bad or unacceptable behaviour. The activities which seem to me to be most oblivious to civilised behaviour are car driving, and boating/fishing. I have seen the attitude of those close to me change as soon as they get behind the wheel. Every other driver is a potential idiot or F/wit. I believe it is because the car becomes an insulator, a case hardened shell, where normally controlled aggression can flourish, uninhibited.

The same feeling of invulnerability seems to happen to some people in a boat. Isolation, distance, the inability of those effected to protest, allows disruptive behaviour.
May I give some hints as to how most civilised people can share the ocean and catch a fish or two, going home pleasurable fatigued, and mentally recharged.
You are very lucky if you get to your favourite reef or area first. OK---a little disappointment, but the first boat crew got up earlier, so give them some credit. So --what do you do?----Go past them close by, pinging away on your sounder to see what they are seeing. putting up a wash and making a hell of a lot of noise, or do you swing wide, be stealthy, remember you are both hunting, and work out a system where both can share the same drift, and not disturb the target.
Are you versatile enough that you have a plan B? Most reefs do not consist of just one pinnacle, and when fish are feeding, there are generally more opportunities along the line of reef to explore and fish.

If a boat is anchored up , do you use the boat as a marker, and continuously pass close by, again with noise and wash, making his considerable efforts to place the boat exactly where he wants it absolutely worthless? Do you continue on and with some satisfaction note that you have washed him off his mark, straightened his reef pick, and generally f/uped his day, or are you so oblivious to other boats and people, that you don't know and don't care.

Do you know that on the half plane, your boat puts up the most underwater noise, and the most wash, which is again not only transferred to other boats, but to the fish you are trying to target. Pretend you are in the bush hunting, do you crash through, or practice stealth. The same applies to hunting fish. Not only do you stuff it up for others, you do the same for yourself. Charter boats should also take note. Generally---besides the cats that are operating, they are big planning hulls, which produce no wash, only when travelling dead slow. I have been washed off my pick, by a charter boat who came and had a look at what I was doing, was dissatisfied, then floored it going past me, going someplace else.
Professional---my A.
It all comes down to consideration for others, a lack of selfishness, and old fashioned etiquette.
Glad I got that off my chest.
Cav(J.C.)

Triple
18-09-2016, 01:05 PM
And if you see a boat trolling along or even at anchor with rods out the back do you cut right across their ass and take their lines and lures with you around your prop.. Or do you open your effin eyes and give them some room.

Happened twice in last two trips..

alleycat
18-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Look at what happens on the northside of Mud island, people coming out from the port of Brisbane can see you there throwing plastics and have the whole bay to manoeuvre but still go at full speed right past you and other boats, some even have the nerve to wave as they go oblivious to what they are doing, same for the clowns who can see you casting to the bank edges for flathead but plough through between you and the bank right along where the fish would be laying, manners and stealth pay off big time ..

Dignity
18-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Right on time J.C. as it is the start of school holidays and even more of them will be around, The VMRs and the Coast Guard will also feel the pain due to once a year "boaties".

Add to the list the number of cars parked in trailer bays.

Feral
18-09-2016, 08:23 PM
It is only being polite to race up to someone already fishing and ask them how the fish are biting :)

Still_Dreamin
18-09-2016, 09:44 PM
I was having a similar discussion with my wife as we drove up the sunny Coast towing 2.5tonne van for school holidays.
I am a considerate driver who sits in the left lane unless overtaking and leave suitable breaking room between myself and car in front.
The number of inconsiderate dumbass drivers that fly up past me indicate pull into my safety margin then hit the brakes was unbelievable. Then to top it off there is an accident and everyone was being well behaved and waited their turn until one tosser drove up the exit lane then tried to merge back right into stopped traffic. Not surprisingly most drivers would not let him in. He waved out his window wildly and was trying to push his way in right up until he the police lights up ahead and a nicer person than me finally let him.
I summed it up to my wife like this.
When we were younger if you pulled that some would snot you in the head and tell you were being a d##knead and don't do it again and everyone watching nodded and agreed. Now he gets away with this behaviour because to do anything makes you the bad person. He/she never understands that their behaviour was cr#p because they never get told.

inveratta
19-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Dont start me ....well .........ok..........to..jetskiiers fishing boats are just slalom markers....LOOK AT ME........ LOOK AT ME... They have ruined the fishing in estuary I fish for the summer months.But Im waiting it out...they will kill some poor innocent swimmer as they hoon off the beach and then Im starting a petition to have them banned from that water.

Dignity
19-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Dont start me ....well .........ok..........to..jetskiiers fishing boats are just slalom markers....LOOK AT ME........ LOOK AT ME... They have ruined the fishing in estuary I fish for the summer months.But Im waiting it out...they will kill some poor innocent swimmer as they hoon off the beach and then Im starting a petition to have them banned from that water.
And the problem is it is no longer restricted to the holidays, Come 9am and they're out there.

Other issue is idiots who decide to fish in the middle of narrow channels or place their crab pots in the middle of navigation channels.

TruBlue
19-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Fishing boat what Fishing boat
I was anchored up floating baits onto the wrecks when a jet ski decided to idle about over my baits while waiting on his mates
When I asked him wtf he was thinking, he told me he understood my frustration as he fished as well
Wtf who feeds these ppl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giveitacrack
20-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Already enough said.