PDA

View Full Version : Oz design, Chinese build, U.K. Fit out............

Toomany
10-09-2016, 05:34 AM
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a tinnie, turns out after some research it's an Australian design, manufactured (poorly) in China, the boat is apparently a noble from NBI.

They are not common over here, no tinnie are, but I liked the lines of it and fancied a change, I went against the norm not buying a fibreglass boat, hey ho !

i bought it from a dealer who tried importing them, but failed, his business went under and he was left with this 5.8 metre centre console ready to fit out.

Toomany
10-09-2016, 05:36 AM

I paid £3000 or 3760 (ish) Australian dollars

Toomany
10-09-2016, 05:39 AM
when I looked at the boat, the deck had been put in awful, big gaps, not sealed, rivets sticking up, shoddy, so I had already decided I was taking the deck out, then I read the horror story on here from a guy who almost lost his transom at sea due to poor workmanship, so that was it, first day home and the deck was out

glad I did as I found it was foam filled, and it was wet !

I also found a very small fuel tank (approx 56 litres).

And what looks to me like missing welds !

So, I have been on the phone and sourced some 10mm ally plate to stiffen the transom up, some ally box section to make a frame for a bigger fuel tank in front of the existing, and some 3mm ally sheet to make a fish storage box further up front, all marine grade.

i also managed to do a deal on a temporary engine, I had a tohatsu 50 tldi in the shed not been used, so I swapped it for a 90 hour Honda four stroke, with 300 hours on it from new, complete with all gauges and cables, probably a lot smaller than you guys are used to having.
compression tested and serviced complete with a warranty

SHOOTER1
10-09-2016, 07:15 AM
Should perform well with the Honda. What sort of fishing do you do sea or lake?

gofishin
10-09-2016, 08:00 AM
Welcome to Ausy-fish Toomany :) .

Hope you don't find too many (pun not intended :) ) problems with the boat either.

Those old Honda 90's have a reputation as a bullet proof motor, however, just check the transom height of boat vs motor. Not that I am familiar with these Hondas, but that looks like a UL extension insert above the gearbox, and the boat will probably be XL!
Cheers
Brendon

Toomany
10-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Should perform well with the Honda. What sort of fishing do you do sea or lake?

Thanks, it's a bit of trial and error if I am honest, I actually wanted a 115 Hp but the second hand market at the moment is very slow here and I couldn't afford brand new to only find out it was the wrong engine or I do not like the boat and want to sell it after a sea trial, if I get on well and keep the boat I shall re power it hopefully after my tax return 👍

It it is all sea fishing for me, more often than not the English Channel, so anything upto 25 miles offshore, again, most likely a lot closer in than you guys.

still not sure how this boat will handle offshore or the rough stuff, so it could still end up been an inshore boat (10miles).

Toomany
10-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Welcome to Ausy-fish Toomany :) .

Hope you don't find too many (pun not intended :) ) problems with the boat either.

Those old Honda 90's have a reputation as a bullet proof motor, however, just check the transom height of boat vs motor. Not that I am familiar with these Hondas, but that looks like a UL extension insert above the gearbox, and the boat will probably be XL!
Cheers
Brendon

Thank you, the wife suggested the name as she thinks I have "too many" boats !

i don't see them as problems, more a challenge to find a solution for !

yes the honda's have a big following here as well, known to be a good solid reliable lump, part of the reason I chose it was it will be easy to move on if I re power the boat, or it will help the boat sell if I don't like it.

i have checked the transom height, it is 25 inches, and the engine is xl, also 25 inches, so should be compatible.

gofishin
10-09-2016, 08:56 AM
That's good. Enjoy getting her on the water.

Noelm
10-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Don't get confused with XL and UL...kind of doubt any 90HP motors will be UL (30") might be a good idea to measure the top of transom where the motor "sits" to the bottom of the V should measure either 20" or 25" or close to one of those, motor does look like an XL (25")

Noelm
10-09-2016, 09:17 AM
OH, there you go, XL it is, just re-read your post.

TruBlue
10-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Hey mate
If u r going to take the tank out n do some welding
Put yourself in a self draining kill tank with an internal Bung
An make sure your bilge pump has an auto float switch before sealing up the floor again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toomany
10-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Hey mate
If u r going to take the tank out n do some welding
Put yourself in a self draining kill tank with an internal Bung
An make sure your bilge pump has an auto float switch before sealing up the floor again

Cheers, I was planning some sort of catch tank for the fish, by self draining I presume you mean pipping it out the back of the transom and a bung inside the tank that fits the outlet tube ? Now Would be the time to do that. I have an ally supplier lined up, and he has 3mm and 5mm marine ally plate in stock, what hatches do you guys use on aluminium decks that are sealed ?

bilge pump is auto float, and I will be fitting a hatch over it for maintenance/replacement in the future.

am concerned how to seal the new ally deck, I can only think it needs seam welding to the hull all round, and all joins welded ? The concern is the exterior of the hull is painted, and the welding heat will burn the paint off, was really hoping not to have to repaint if it can be avoided.

Toomany
10-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Something for the future, if I like this boat I want to be doing lots of winter fishing, so I want to build some type of cabin/cuddly/shelter, I need to keep access to the bow, so possibly not a full width cabin, but one that can be walk around, at least on one side, now if I do that I need to weld some structure under the deck to fix it to, I need to plan what I would like and get the structure put in ready, just in case.....

Ideally it would need to seat two people, thinking just a front, sides and roof, leave the back open.

what do you all have, and pics would be superb to give me idea.

so far I have found these

The he last one is too open for my liking

Funchy
11-09-2016, 05:49 AM
Gday Toomany

looking forward to following your rebuil. Keep us updated.

winter fishing in the English Channel??? Brrrrrrrrr..... No thanks you can have that :thumbsup:

Toomany
11-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Gday Toomany

looking forward to following your rebuil. Keep us updated.

winter fishing in the English Channel??? Brrrrrrrrr..... No thanks you can have that :thumbsup:

yeah you ain't wrong there mate, get icicles on ya barnacles ! Hence I need to be looking at cabin designs

TruBlue
11-09-2016, 08:25 AM
I just got a centre cab seems to be what you are describing

TruBlue
11-09-2016, 08:28 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160910/f906d57b4289db4a9d97b25f2a850701.jpg

Shawn 66
11-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a tinnie, turns out after some research it's an Australian design, manufactured (poorly) in China, the boat is apparently a noble from NBI.

They are not common over here, no tinnie are, but I liked the lines of it and fancied a change, I went against the norm not buying a fibreglass boat, hey ho !

i bought it from a dealer who tried importing them, but failed, his business went under and he was left with this 5.8 metre centre console ready to fit out.
G'Day Mate
Welcome to Ausfish.
Knowing nothing about your homeland , I am curious . What would you think the rate of boat ownership would be in your part of the world.
Thanks Shawn

TheRealAndy
11-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Hey Toomany,

The word on the street is that Noble went belly up trying to offshore the construction and subsequently getting screwed in the process. Nothing wrong with Chinese build, just needs to be very closely supervised!

If you are looking at a real offshore shitty weather aluminium boat for a future project, I would take a close look at the South Australian built boats crossed with New Zealand ones, then roll in some of that USA sheer line! I have been promising myself to make a good plate ally boat for years, but I doubt I will ever get around to it!

Good luck with the boat.

Cheers,

Andy.

Toomany
11-09-2016, 07:00 PM
G'Day Mate
Welcome to Ausfish.
Knowing nothing about your homeland , I am curious . What would you think the rate of boat ownership would be in your part of the world.
Thanks Shawn

Hi Shawn,
Thanks, I would say it's is very low, a stab in the dark at 10% or less, if we have to travel 2 hours to get to the sea then the English see that as a massive deal !i live slap bang in the middle almost, it's about 2 and a half hours direction to go south, east or west, and for me that's fine, but I know maybe two other guys who have boats near me, most owners are within 30 minutes of the coast

Rob.

Toomany
11-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Hey Toomany,

The word on the street is that Noble went belly up trying to offshore the construction and subsequently getting screwed in the process. Nothing wrong with Chinese build, just needs to be very closely supervised!

If you are looking at a real offshore shitty weather aluminium boat for a future project, I would take a close look at the South Australian built boats crossed with New Zealand ones, then roll in some of that USA sheer line! I have been promising myself to make a good plate ally boat for years, but I doubt I will ever get around to it!

Good luck with the boat.

Cheers,

Andy.

That s pretty much how I understand it, it's the close supervision that seems to be lacking ......... Although I found some work needs doing, it wasn't a total horror story, could have been a lot worse.

And partly I am grateful to this forum for flagging up I could have had serious issues had I just powered up and went off fishing, thankfully I was aware it could be an issue and checked it.

In all honesty, I am possibly expecting too much from this boat, I do have a grp built 24 foot fisher with inboard diesel, and that is well known and respected as a long distance offshore fisher that can handle some rough water, but is so heavy and due to its size is right on the legal limit for towing here, it's a mission moving it, hence I wanted something smaller to trail, that had the advantage of speed to get out to the mark and back in good time.

i also enjoy bass fishing, and have a couple of marks over rock reefs that you would be plain crazy to take a grp bout onto, as a lot of rock is exposed at low tide when it fishes best, so a tinnie should be good for that also, shallow draft a must.

Rob.

Toomany
11-09-2016, 07:18 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160910/f906d57b4289db4a9d97b25f2a850701.jpg

Thanks for that, yes that looks very close to what I had in mind, although I would need a full height screen up front, do you have any more pictures of it, and how wide is it, looks as though it would seat one in comfort, is it walk around both sides or just one, I did think about moving it to the starboard side but making it wide enough to seat two.

would love to see as many pics as possible of it, provided you don't mind me stealing some idea from it.

also interesting to see you have a transom door, something I said would have been good for me, but I was unsure how she sits in the water.

do you have self draining deck ?

whats the finished weight and how does it go with the 150 on the back, I was so close to buying the optimax myself.

sorry for all the questions, but that really does look very very similar to how I am hoping mine will be.

Rob.

TruBlue
11-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Hey Rob
This is a 580 Trailcraft centre cab they are made in Western Australia
Beam is 2.25m
The cab fits two standing shoulder width Ok ish ya mates shoulder could get a bit cold lol
I prefer a centre mounted cab over mounting one to the side so u get the full walk around, mine doesn't have trim tabs :( but if u want to off set the cab to one side I'd say that would make trim tabs necessary and I'm not sure I'd like to off set the weight in a small boat
Trailcraft have fully welded self draining deck
The 580 cc are just under 1000kg dry I'd say
150 pushes it great around 38kn wot
opti are a good motor and fuel consumption is close to a 4 stroke
Full screen any day over half clears at the top would be my preference as well and mine has a tinted screen that needs to go and clears that need replacing so a full screen is a possibility ;)
I'm lazy n old so a transom door is a must ;)
Cheers
Craig

TheRealAndy
11-09-2016, 08:32 PM
That s pretty much how I understand it, it's the close supervision that seems to be lacking ......... Although I found some work needs doing, it wasn't a total horror story, could have been a lot worse.

And partly I am grateful to this forum for flagging up I could have had serious issues had I just powered up and went off fishing, thankfully I was aware it could be an issue and checked it.

In all honesty, I am possibly expecting too much from this boat, I do have a grp built 24 foot fisher with inboard diesel, and that is well known and respected as a long distance offshore fisher that can handle some rough water, but is so heavy and due to its size is right on the legal limit for towing here, it's a mission moving it, hence I wanted something smaller to trail, that had the advantage of speed to get out to the mark and back in good time.

i also enjoy bass fishing, and have a couple of marks over rock reefs that you would be plain crazy to take a grp bout onto, as a lot of rock is exposed at low tide when it fishes best, so a tinnie should be good for that also, shallow draft a must.

Rob.

Nobles are good boats. Typical plate aluminium though, will slice through the water but a little rocky at rest. Its the trade off you go between lightweight and towable V heavier weight and displacement and stability at sea.

My old man is a pommie and built his own boat. You poms have some crazy ideas about boats but you make some pretty good heavy weight sea going versions! Mind you most of my experience (and my fathers) is sailing, although I am bucking that trend a bit with some stink boat ownership in the past! (and hopefully soon again)

Toomany
11-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Hey Rob
This is a 580 Trailcraft centre cab they are made in Western Australia
Beam is 2.25m
The cab fits two standing shoulder width Ok ish ya mates shoulder could get a bit cold lol
I prefer a centre mounted cab over mounting one to the side so u get the full walk around, mine doesn't have trim tabs :( but if u want to off set the cab to one side I'd say that would make trim tabs necessary and I'm not sure I'd like to off set the weight in a small boat
Trailcraft have fully welded self draining deck
The 580 cc are just under 1000kg dry I'd say
150 pushes it great around 38kn wot
opti are a good motor and fuel consumption is close to a 4 stroke
Full screen any day over half clears at the top would be my preference as well and mine has a tinted screen that needs to go and clears that need replacing so a full screen is a possibility ;)
I'm lazy n old so a transom door is a must ;)
Cheers
Craig

Lovely looking boat mate, 580 is I presume 5.8 metre, and the beam is identical to mine as well, I think my bare hull goes 680kg's, they seem to be very similar.

Good point about balance, I also have no trim tabs, but always an option if needed, although I don't really need the extra work/expense right now.

i would like to go fully welded and self draining, but for me that means the paint work ruined welding the deck in, again, something I hoped not to have to do.

i would probably opt for clear all round, we don't have the problems with sun that you do, more often we have dull misty conditions, visibility is a must.

if it's not too much trouble would love to see some more pictures of it, especially the cabin.

THanks, Rob

Toomany
11-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Nobles are good boats. Typical plate aluminium though, will slice through the water but a little rocky at rest. Its the trade off you go between lightweight and towable V heavier weight and displacement and stability at sea.

My old man is a pommie and built his own boat. You poms have some crazy ideas about boats but you make some pretty good heavy weight sea going versions! Mind you most of my experience (and my fathers) is sailing, although I am bucking that trend a bit with some stink boat ownership in the past! (and hopefully soon again)

Ha, you ain't wrong mate, I have seen some right weird looking contraptions.

i have a 24 footer, and the sits on the scales at a tad over 3 ton, but still a planning hull, although 30knts with a clean bum and following sea is about all it wants, because of the weight it planes but still pushes through most things so is a very comfortable ride, I honestly can't remember the last time I had a jolt, I realise the new tinnie will have no where near the ride of that, but I will gain in other areas, easier to tow, lighter, faster, one man launching and retrieving, so worth a couple of sacrifices, I will still keep the bigger boat for the bigger longer excursions, but reckon the tinnie will be the 'go to' boat for days out or when only a couple of us are fishing.
Rob.