PDA

View Full Version : used 6 mtr Stabicraft or Mclay if you had a choice

sjp2
05-09-2016, 07:09 PM
having owned a 4.9 Mclay cc for guite a number of years (and still do ) i am finding my ever increasing bald spot not handling the summer sun anymore, i need some overhead protection as well as wind and wave protection is why i am looking at a 6 mtr hardtop or even canvas top ,just putting it out there for some opinions ,looking at about a 40 k budget .

Noelm
05-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Never been a Stabi fan in any size, they seem to go OK, but (in my opinion) just way too ugly, and I found them kind of strange to fish out of.

Dignity
05-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Never been a Stabi fan in any size, they seem to go OK, but (in my opinion) just way too ugly, and I found them kind of strange to fish out of.

And seem to have a largely reduced cockpit space to boot but those that own them absolutelylove them.

swof63
05-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Why not just buy a hat and raincoat? Much cheaper than a new boat your cc best to fish out of unless you are as near to Antarctica as me. Would love to have a cc but am allergic to frostbite.

peterbo3
05-09-2016, 08:59 PM
How about a 6400 Fisher hardtop? I know a fella who might be selling one. :o :o

sjp2
06-09-2016, 07:40 AM
cockpit space i can relate to ,looking at them at various shows they seem pretty limited to what i am used to in CC(360 degree access and fishability ).

Axl
06-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Having recently upgraded from a c/c to a cuddy cab I can tell you that yes you will loose a lot of vision when underway and a lot of fishing space. In saying that I did it for the same reason as you have mentioned, I am not getting any younger nor is the missus and it is nice to be able to get out of the weather when you want to but it certainly comes at a price.

40k probably won't get you much in either of your choices unless you are willing to buy something with a bit of age to it. Personally I'd go the Stabi if these are the only rigs you are looking at, I've never been a fan of the Mclay but as you own one and I never have you would know what they are like better than I do.

Smithy
07-09-2016, 05:50 AM
Dunno how you are going to get on with a budget of $40K. Don't get locked into just Stabis. If you like the pontoon boat concept there are also Aqualines, Kiwicrafts, Senators, Ospreys and Profiles to look at. If you like the plate boat concept just keep looking and don't get bogged down in brands. Any of the name brand boats will be fine to use and for resale etc.

Saltboy
07-09-2016, 08:15 PM
A few quick shots of my bimini I just got done today on my 5.5m Mclay. I designed it so I can still use bait tank and rod holders when its down and still throw lures around when up. Why not just do that?? Boat cover to come by Friday.

Dave

Triple
07-09-2016, 09:38 PM
T top with console clears would be cheaper ;)
http://www.jeanscanvas.com/images/marine/T-Tops-on-Center-Consoles/t-top-canvas-13.jpg

scottar
07-09-2016, 09:53 PM
When I got over my centre console, I bought a cuddy with clears and and canvas. In response to your question - whatever you can get for your budget with a full screen and hardtop. Prior to getting my own rig I spent a fair bit of time in a Senator 6.8 with a full hardtop. Going back to clears has proved one of two things - I hate clears or I was spoilt with the hardtop.......maybe both.

sjp2
09-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Saltboy got one from a old 13 ft boston whaler i bought ,certainly does the job ,this one is double lined from a bloke on the gold coast ,with some of them you still need to wear a hat under them as the heat seems to radiate straight through.