PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat 5.2 90hp repower

MadKat
02-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Hi All,

I am new to Ausfish but been reading posts for a long time.....obviously some very passionate and knowledgeable people on here.

Was wondering if anyone has actually re-powered their old pre 1900 style 5.2 Kevlacat with twin 90hp or know of anyone who has? There is a lot of talk about it on hear so was hoping to get some info on it.

What are the positives, negatives? Does it need the larger 1900 style pods? Currently have the older style but the larger one suitable for the 25" legs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

MadKat

Mupster
02-09-2016, 10:36 PM
I'll be following this one. I have to repower my 5.2 Devilcat so this should be interesting!

SatNav
02-09-2016, 11:04 PM
1. Positives? None that I have ever heard about

2. Negatives? Max HP was 2 * 70

3. Anything less than ULS motors were never viable

4. 90's? Then maybe time to look for a new boat?

5. Oh 5.2KC =/ 5.2 Devilcat, no comparison

Flex
03-09-2016, 03:55 AM
Max HP rating on some of the models was actually 90hp.

I owned a black marlin 99 model with f60's and had slightly larger pods for the 25 legs and rated to 90hp.

I sold it because motor options for the 5.2 is extremely restrictive. The hull is vastly better with 90's on it I believe. The problem is your choice is limited and its bum heavy at rest if your put 90 4 strokes, can still be done just your feet get wet a lot.. Best power for these is 90hp old school 2 strokes for sheer performance and they are light. Although not really and option due to range

I had f60 hi thrusts on mine, it went ok. but I found cruising at 24-25knots instead of 21-22 makes a huge difference in how the hull rides. The boat ran much better cruising at 5500rpm in the chop, hat rpm is unsustainable for most motors.
Especially in a following sea with 60's going downwind your speed gets washed off to easily. constantly dropping 5 knots in speed heading up back of a wave as the small 60's lack the grunt to keep the nose super high.

Ultimately it comes down to range though. If your only fishing 40km offshore mostly then 60/70's are fine on a 5.2. If your needing to run 100km+ out regularly, then larger tanks and larger motors would be better I think. That's why I sold mine.
running 120km off mackay was painful at 22knots screaming f60s at 5000rpm.

Lovey80
03-09-2016, 05:05 PM
I have F60 Highthrusts on mine and really like them since I've had the props shaved. Another member on here is running Mercs with vengeance props and gets better figures than any I've seen. I'd love to get a set to try on the yammies.

as for the 90's Kiitycat did the upgrade and there was a member on here RodneyK that used to make the 1900 pods. From memory it still sat lower in the rear so I wouldn't be doing that upgrade without relocating the batteries forward into the cabin.

MadKat
03-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys, have been speaking to the former owner of Kittycat and he said that once you get in a 5.2 with 90's you will never want to go back to one with only the 60's. Also water in the back of the boat was only a problem when there was 3 large blokes in the back.

Does anyone know if the pod was the only change between the older 5.2 and the 1900's or was there also a raise in the floor as that is what i have heard. Do think the actual hull has changed except for an extra strake at the front of the boat.

SatNav problem about getting another boat is that nothing comes close to it in terms of towable size, handling, safety, and ride...I just need to re-power and looking at all options.

Lovey80 thanks for the tips re the battery.

Lovey80
04-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys, have been speaking to the former owner of Kittycat and he said that once you get in a 5.2 with 90's you will never want to go back to one with only the 60's. Also water in the back of the boat was only a problem when there was 3 large blokes in the back.

Does anyone know if the pod was the only change between the older 5.2 and the 1900's or was there also a raise in the floor as that is what i have heard. Do think the actual hull has changed except for an extra strake at the front of the boat.

SatNav problem about getting another boat is that nothing comes close to it in terms of towable size, handling, safety, and ride...I just need to re-power and looking at all options.

Lovey80 thanks for the tips re the battery.

i did read on here a while back that the 1900 has a floor that is about 100mm higher. This may have alleviated the water coming in the scuppers. I know in mine that if I am fishing 4 and have the anchor in the back that water does come onto the back deck. I plan to make some mods to the scuppers to reduce this.

No Excuses
11-09-2016, 02:34 AM
I am in the process of getting ready to fit up some DF90A's (used) to my 96 model tournament. I bought it with 70 yammy 2 bangers then got the brain wave of fitting some 60 merc big foots. A major disappointment to say the least. I tried 3 different props as well as engine heights and to be honest they just aren't powerful enough. I've built new pods that are a similar shape to the original ones but are 82 litres in volume vs the 31 litre original ones. Will hopefully have everything fitted up in a week or 2 (work pending) and will report in on how it all plays out. Cheers Aaron

No Excuses
11-09-2016, 02:47 AM
Flex your figures are spot on too, flogging the piss outta 60's to get 24 knots is plain madness.
Cheers Aaron

Lovey80
11-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Flex your figures are spot on too, flogging the piss outta 60's to get 24 knots is plain madness.
Cheers Aaron

Were you only getting 24knots at WOT?

No Excuses
11-09-2016, 09:38 PM
That wasn't wot but chasing a cruise speed of 24 knots doesn't do a 5.2 justice. That hull only starts to perform at 24 knots, any lower and its bogging down and if you wash off any speed the 60's have their tongues hanging out to get back up there. How heavy you run your boat will obviously be a determining factor.

antos01
11-09-2016, 10:24 PM
That wasn't wot but chasing a cruise speed of 24 knots doesn't do a 5.2 justice. That hull only starts to perform at 24 knots, any lower and its bogging down and if you wash off any speed the 60's have their tongues hanging out to get back up there. How heavy you run your boat will obviously be a determining factor.
Hi No Excuses,

Please keep me updated as I would like to hear how you go. Any photos would also be great.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

fromeo
11-09-2016, 11:10 PM
No Excuse,

It would be great if you could put up some data and pics once you have those 90's bolted on I as sure there a quiet a few 5.2 owners who are considering the pros and cons on doing this upgrade .

No Excuses
12-09-2016, 01:24 AM
Hey fromeo, yeah mate I was going to do a full report for anyone that's interested as I know there must be a lot of 5.2 owners just itching to step up to 90's but just not sure. For me and what I try and do on the water the 60's were a waste of time, they may work for some people. I was lucky that a set of DF90A's popped up that were cheap and in excellent condition. The pods I've built are a bit of a prototype but if they work I'll be offering to build them for anyone that's interested.
Thanks Aaron

fromeo
12-09-2016, 10:06 PM
Great Aaron ...your really got lucky on a good set of the df90a's , really looking forward to your progress posts, as I am sure all the other cat owners are... this is going to be interesting , you will get a lot of help from this forum on the KC 5.2 .

MadKat
12-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Hi Aaron, were your old pods the ones set up for the 20" or 25" inch legs?

Yes very glad to see your results as this is exactly what I am looking to do.

No Excuses
13-09-2016, 02:09 AM
Hi madkat, My boat had the original pods set up for 20 inch legs. The suzukis are a 25 inch leg which is required IMO. I've built my pods out of 8mm aluminium plate (same as factory ones) in the same shape of the original pods but they are about 130mm longer and 100mm wider and obviously 5 inches higher at the rear to take the longer leg. The bolt holes will match up to the original ones through the transom except now all the bolts will be internal as I've made the pods pretty much full width. I'll be ditching the small original Comp plates on the inside of the transom and making larger ones out of the scrap 8mm plate to help distribute the extra load. I'm hoping to have pods and engines mounted up this weekend (gauges, controls etc. are already in) so I'll try and post some pics after that. I'll be doing a water test ASAP and will post some figures. The zukes came with factory alloy 21 pitch props so I'm expecting them to be on the large side, will most likely drop back to a 19P.

frosti
14-09-2016, 08:59 PM
i did read on here a while back that the 1900 has a floor that is about 100mm higher. This may have alleviated the water coming in the scuppers. I know in mine that if I am fishing 4 and have the anchor in the back that water does come onto the back deck. I plan to make some mods to the scuppers to reduce this.
with 3 big blokes fishing across the back of my 1900 with 90 four strokes you still get wet feet in certain seas

Lovey80
14-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Hi madkat, My boat had the original pods set up for 20 inch legs. The suzukis are a 25 inch leg which is required IMO. I've built my pods out of 8mm aluminium plate (same as factory ones) in the same shape of the original pods but they are about 130mm longer and 100mm wider and obviously 5 inches higher at the rear to take the longer leg. The bolt holes will match up to the original ones through the transom except now all the bolts will be internal as I've made the pods pretty much full width. I'll be ditching the small original Comp plates on the inside of the transom and making larger ones out of the scrap 8mm plate to help distribute the extra load. I'm hoping to have pods and engines mounted up this weekend (gauges, controls etc. are already in) so I'll try and post some pics after that. I'll be doing a water test ASAP and will post some figures. The zukes came with factory alloy 21 pitch props so I'm expecting them to be on the large side, will most likely drop back to a 19P.

How are you getting the larger plates inside the transom? Won't they be too wide to fit down inside the inspection hatches?

No Excuses
16-09-2016, 11:18 AM
The original plates are only 60mm square. When I say large they will be a lot bigger than 60mm but still fit inside the 150mm hatch.

Dean1
18-09-2016, 04:38 PM
The original plates are only 60mm square. When I say large they will be a lot bigger than 60mm but still fit inside the 150mm hatch.You haven't mucked around building those pods! Justin told me what you were up to. Be interesting to see the result. You might give the 660 a run for its money he he. Go anywhere in a 5.2kc as long as you can carry the fuel. Best of luck with the first run!

No Excuses
18-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Hi dean, yeah been uppa that's for sure. Another half day in the shed and it's ready for the water. Spewing I have to go back to work for the week so water test after that. I built myself a 165 litre stainless fuel tank that's full width of the floor and foot rest height. I removed the foot rests and it fits snugly In front of the under seat boxes. Ya don't notice it there after a while and it gives ya decent range with the under floor tanks.
Cheers Aaron

Dean1
19-09-2016, 06:23 AM
Hey Aaron, thats a great idea putting that tank where you did! Thats given you another 200 klms range. Youl get 1.3 klms per litre all day with her.I would use that fuel first so the ride isnt affected but im sure your onto that.
Yep sux when work gets in the way of fun stuff. But you know how it goes ' no mun no fun' Cheers

No Excuses
19-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Yeah mate I burn that fuel off first, mainly to get the weight off the floor. Last trip I did 340km where I used that aux. tank first then switched over to the underfloor tanks and still had 60 litres a side left so it's got ample range.

No Excuses
19-09-2016, 09:23 PM
All hooked up and ready for the water. Back to work tomorrow so water test will have to wait for a week. First time attaching photos so hopefully it works.

MadKat
19-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Looks great No Excuses, looking forward to the water test results......glad that I started the thread now.

No Excuses
20-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Hey madkat, it's taken a bit of work but everything has come together nicely. Providing I get the flotation I'm hoping for I should be onto a winner.

fromeo
21-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Aaron awesome job on the pods, question did you have to move the duck board up to get your steering linkages to line up with the motors being 5" higher

Flex
22-09-2016, 03:36 AM
great job!
Howd you go ripping the old pods off?
I'll be doing the same to my podded sharkcat shortly for the same reasons you are.

No Excuses
22-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Fromeo, all the steering is in its original position. What I did was make some offset steering brackets (mounted on the engine) to accomodate the longer and higher pods/engines. I can trim my motors right up before the brackets hit the pods.

Hi flex, quite easy, I did it on my own. I undone the nuts on the inside and left the bolts sticking through the transom. Then I got a block of wood and hammer and the rear of the pod one good hit and it separated the original silicone then just lifted it off.

Im going to do a full report next week after water tests on what I did and how it all turned out.

Cheers aaron

Dean1
22-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Ye mate thats awesome range youve got there! Keen as to see how she goes. I cant see the pic for some reason. Shel get up and boogy again now :)