PDA

View Full Version : Dexter break away kit help please

Crunchy
02-09-2016, 12:12 PM
In the pic below I have circled a "Charging diode" (According to Dexter), I think its function is to stop the car battery being discharged over time when connected but not running but not 100% sure. Mine is busted beyond repair and I am struggling to find it as a part (Have to buy the whole kit), can I simply short circuit it?

DAVE_S
02-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Have you tried Titan brakes , i have a similar thing that i fitted that charges the battery . They told me that the power wire to the trailer was not enough to charge the battery , it turns on and has a time delay that turns off so it does not flatten the car battery . I cant see why you would not be able to fit it to replace your damaged one .

Crunchy
02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the lead, I will give them a try, they call it charger buts its just a small flat diode so it doesn;t create a charge on its own.

Owen
02-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Not really familiar with electric breakaways.
Presumably there's some sort of relay circuit to switch to battery when unplugged and some sort of button/switch to allow you to move trailer?

If it's a diode then it's to ensure that power goes in (to charge) but can't go back into the car circuit.

All you need do is find a diode rated heavy enough. A cheap option is a 35amp or higher bridge rectifier.
You'd only use two pins.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/400v-35a-bridge-rectifier/p/ZR1324

scottar
02-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Owen is on the money Crunchy. It's to stop power from the breakaway battery going back into the car. If the diode has a part number on it you should be able to google it's specs