PDA

View Full Version : Iconic 5.5 cc, another build thread.

robcam
27-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Hi All, long time lurker here but have rarely posted. Over the time I have learned a lot from this forum, particularly the build threads. Decided last year to have a new plate alloy boat built and was looking at the Origin 5.0m-5.5m. As most know that wasn`t to be so started to look around. Mate told me about Chris Gallagher of Iconic boats.

His design had the specs were close to what I wanted so have finally started and I thought I would post some pics of the build. Boat is 5.5m centre consol 2.25 beam and 20 degree deadrise with 5mill bottom and transom plate and 4mill sides. Procrastinated for months on a motor but finally settled on a 135 merc. Will post more photo`s as build progresses.
(hope the pics work)

robcam
29-08-2016, 08:46 PM
A couple more

BAR UP
01-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Very exciting time Rob. I don't reckon you can go wrong with one of Chris's "Iconic" boats​. I'm gunna see how your 5.5 mtr goes and check out Chris's 6mtr boat. I will make a decision to build a new one myself before I retire. 5.5 rear centre console I reckon..=robcam;1620580]A couple more[/QUOTE]

BAR UP
06-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Very exciting time Rob. I don't reckon you can go wrong with one of Chris's "Iconic" boats​. I'm gunna see how your 5.5 mtr goes and check out Chris's 6mtr boat. I will make a decision to build a new one myself before I retire. 5.5 rear centre console I reckon..=robcam;1620580]A couple more[/QUOTE]
Had Chris do some work on my Stacer Proline. Deep cycle battery bracket, fuel tank rack and electric motor bracket and patiented motor guide support. Price was very reasonable. Give Chris a call for all your mods.

robcam
08-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Quick build update. Now have pipework done, floor in, flooding kill tank and fuel tank cavity in, transom complete and casting deck is all but. Next job will be console and folding T top.

Sheik
12-10-2016, 06:38 AM
Looks the goods alright. Has a good deadrise so should be good while travelling hey?

robcam
12-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Looks the goods alright. Has a good deadrise so should be good while travelling hey?

Yeah mate, no expert but had some ideas in my head about length vs`s beam vs`s deadrise aft so this one was closest. Then stability at rest vs`s ride, so I`m hoping that this is a reasonable compromise.

robcam
13-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Build up date. Electronics and trim shop next.

NothinSuss
14-11-2016, 07:40 AM
A couple more

Robcam,

A question for you, whats the name of the foam you have used underfloor there mate, and where can you get it from, just about to redo under floor in mine.

Cheers Pedro

robcam
14-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Robcam,

A question for you, whats the name of the foam you have used underfloor there mate, and where can you get it from, just about to redo under floor in mine.

Cheers Pedro

Hi Pedro, boat builder advises Marcon Industries, google should help. Rob.

NothinSuss
14-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Robcam,

Thanks for the response, I'll check out Marcon Industries. Cheers

robcam
26-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Almost there now, first water test tomorrow.

Skusto
27-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Looks awesome rob!

Mine is hopefully starting this week can't wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

Kondo 1
27-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Saw you cruising through the wrecks this arvo just before I jumped on the Micat.

Looked great - how was the ride back with the Northerly starting to come up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

robcam
27-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Saw you cruising through the wrecks this arvo just before I jumped on the Micat.

Looked great - how was the ride back with the Northerly starting to come up?

Thanks Kondo, yeah first water test today so still early days but happy with most things. A few things to fine tune yet though. Not happy with rpm so probably a prop change yet. We went from the wrecks up past curtin and then back across to cabbage tree creek. Have to say I`m wrapt with how the hull handled the trip back this arvo, impressed. I`ll get the prop right and then put up some figures.

Kondo 1
27-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Nice work - very recognisable with that wrap, I took a photo but it was only on the iPhone and horrible.

At least coming from curtin to cabbage tree you had the wind behind you.

How did you find the zipwakes?

robcam
27-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Nice work - very recognisable with that wrap, I took a photo but it was only on the iPhone and horrible.

At least coming from curtin to cabbage tree you had the wind behind you.

How did you find the zipwakes?

Mate, zipwakes were working on land after the fit-up but then not on the water so still got some work to do. The wrap is based on a chart and is the Duke Islands off
from Stanage, the boat is going up there may next year so should have it right by then.

robcam
21-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Final build photo`s.

Donutmaster
22-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Awesome rig, congrats. Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

NothinSuss
23-01-2017, 07:49 AM
robcam- Hey mate whats the name of that flooring you used on the transom and gunwhales ??

robcam
23-01-2017, 01:43 PM
robcam- Hey mate whats the name of that flooring you used on the transom and gunwhales ??
Mate, the stuff is called SeaDek, you get it from a mob in Sydney called southern cross textiles. If you google sc textiles you should find them. They were very easy to deal with.

NothinSuss
24-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Robcam- cheers fella, will check em out.

Mate, the stuff is called SeaDek, you get it from a mob in Sydney called southern cross textiles. If you google sc textiles you should find them. They were very easy to deal with.