PDA

View Full Version : Are bow riders good?

Spoon1337
26-08-2016, 03:04 AM
So my father and I are looking to upgrade. We currently own a 4.2 tinny and regularly fish out of it. I have taken it across bars etc with no problem but the small boat gets knocked around easy and for the old man its no good so we are currently looking into the 5+ mtr range, settling on something costing no more then 40 fully fitted with great stability, able to easily get in and out, able to get out of the weather and something still able to be taken up the river.

The parents had a quick look at the boat show and my mother fell in love with the bow rider series and she is slowly converting my father as well (shes obviously the one who will get the last say) but I am not convinced by these type of boats. A friend owns one and when I first drove it its steering was horrible, very stiff. This may have been the steering mechanics its self but it just felt odd on the water.

My question is, are bow riders any good? It will primarily be used for fishing so I want something that will be able to crush over bars and go out wide. We will be regularly fishing out of it but I don't see my father or mother jumping on the back on a tube or anything like this. All our family are in their adult lives. Although it would be a nice option to take a handful of mates out and give them a burst on a board/tube.

This is something we've been currently looking at.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/new/OAG-AD-12566188/2016-HORIZON-SEABREEZE-540?cr=17&psq=%28%28%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20n ear%20new%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new% 20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boat s%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D% 29%26BoatAll%3Dkeyword%5Bhorizon%5D%29%26Service%3 D%5BBoatsales%5D%29%26Make%3D%5BHORIZON%5D%29&pso=15&pss=Premium

Any advice is appreciated.

Flex
26-08-2016, 03:58 AM
If you want a boat for mostly fishing you would definitely regret buying a bow rider. that front section is mostly waisted as a fisherman. It also gives you less space in the back

How much experience does your mum have in boating?no offence here, but if its zero exoerience then basing a choice off her input is not the wisest thing to do. She may only be looking at the comfy cushions up front and not considering the other aspects of a bow rider.

To be honest I think bow riders are insanely over priced for what you get. that boat your looking at wont really ride much better than the 4.2m tinny you already have. for 40k you could get a lot more for your money I believe.

How far offshore do you go? and do you want tinny or glass?

terryc
26-08-2016, 06:10 AM
two of my sons have had fibreglass bowriders, they are a great boat for lakes & inshore, but i wouldn't want one for crossing bars & going offshore. They can easily take water over the front and you could quickly get into trouble with a boat full of water.
I reckon a cuddy cabin is the better alternative for fishing outside, at least you have some protection at the front. The bowriders are great social boats & kids love them, just not necessarily ideal for fishing just my opinion.

Skusto
26-08-2016, 08:20 AM
As said above if it is mainly for fishing then the Bowrider you will regret.. And as said above would you be looking at fibre glass or Aluminium, Second Hand or Brand New?

New looks nice and shiny but there are always newish boats that come up for alot better price then buying brand new.

If you are looking at aluminium i would advise in trying to get a plate boat as the time and effort to pull up those floor boards and clean the carpet makes you not want to take the boat out and get it dirty.

Plate boats are so much easier to clean then the pressed alloys.

Swanie1975
26-08-2016, 09:52 AM
I will throw n my 2c for what it's worth. Mine is an older design 1996 Haines signature 550 bowrider. The only time I've ever shipped water over the bow was with two big adults up the front and I shut off power trying to cross a big Rivera wake.....lesson learnt from that lol. Even when trying it's very hard to bury the front. I did have a glastron bowrider for a while but that was a shocker for nosediving.

i regularly use it for fishing and I have one mate in particular who loves flicking lures and flys all day from up the front while two more of use fish from the back. Crabbing in particular is easy due to the front being usable. Offshore fishing hasn't been a problem yet and when conditions get nasty I just put the bowcover on.

I've crossed bars on it and never had a problem, but then if it's looking dodgey in terms of forecast or big swell I don't go out, but I'm guessing as you get older hopefully I'm getting wiser. Also the open front gets you very much upclose and in the action with wildlife with dolphins especially loving to bowsurf and jump right alongside.

ive had bigger trailer boats and smaller tinnies, for my usage now and with the kids this rig suits me well. Fish, crab, water sports and day trips are great fun, only thing is the missus would like a toilet with some privacy but i do have a bucket on board haha.

Just my experiences.
cheers Ryan

Herby13
26-08-2016, 09:53 AM
They are perfect for fishing in my opinion. Shelter from the spray with the windshield, cover from the sun / rain under the canopy, provides a great comfortable stance in the back corners for bottom bashing, then easily convert the front lounge into a casting deck by removing the cushions and you have the perfect all round boat in my opinion. Only disadvantage I can see is the space the console takes up, so if your comfortable in a 480m side console quintrex top ender for example I feel to have the same room in a Quintrex freedom sport (their model of a bow rider) you would need to get the model bow rider about 1m longer so say the 5.6m.

Hope this helps.