PDA

View Full Version : is it a merc or is it a tohatsu

up the creek
11-08-2016, 06:45 PM
first i want to say there is no bad with mercury and tohatsu doing some joint ventures as they are both right up there with the best and i own a 18 tohy which is a 15hp jap merc super just it opens the throttle cam a little wider...
but and this is where im not happy.. i read a web page 2 days ago from a mercury dealer and in there latest news section it says.. new mercury 9.9 2 stroke now lightest in its class at approx 26kg and 169 cubes the exact weight and cubes as a 9.8 tohatsu ok heres why im not happy its obviously a 9.8 tohatsu block opened up by 0.1hp with the same cubes as a lot of 9.8hp 2 strokes i own a tohy18/15merc jap super so whats the difference.. well they market it like were getting a new light motor and its the fact that no1 mostly goes to a 9.9 for 0.1 extra hp over the 9.8 and still only gets the same cubes.. no we want the closer to the 15hp size motor cubes or 260 ish cubes , i think that the merc 9.9 was before this 9.9.. ive been told mercury usa 2 strokes are now illegal and if there gonna use japan to build/sell then please make mercs to merc specs not clones with no benifet only .01 of a hp and no extra cubes which is why i go to a 9.9..might as well just make it a merc/jap 9.8..
any thoughts on this anyone???

Lovey80
11-08-2016, 08:00 PM
Oh dear. In all of that I am not sure what exactly you are asking. 9.9 or 9.8 who cares what's on the sticker? They're exactly the same engine. Find the one with the best deal/dealer to service it close to you and forget about the rest of the crap.

Camhawk88
12-08-2016, 09:00 AM
There are bigger things in life to twist your knickers mate. Seriously.

up the creek
12-08-2016, 02:14 PM
i dont want to buy any of them im just saying why cant merc build a 9.9 with around 250cubes which most 9.9s have they are being cheap and using a 9.8 tohatsu and yes wacking a merc sticker on it and its the same cubes 169 as the 9.8 so whats the point whos gonna buy a 9.9 with no extra cubes and whats not kool is marketing it as a new 9.9 lightest in its class well its not new its a tohy and no extra cubes..

up the creek
12-08-2016, 02:18 PM
There are bigger things in life to twist your knickers mate. Seriously.

lol twist my knickers i dont give a hoot im buying a suzuki 9.9 with 280cubes (a real 9.9) i just thought it was interesting to put it out there so people knew the new 9.9 merc has no more to offer then a 9.8 in cubes but hey if you dont have a genuine reply and want to talk about my topic then go reply to other posts

Camhawk88
12-08-2016, 03:14 PM
You asked for thoughts and you got one buddy.

It was difficult to decipher exactly what your were trying to say. All I got was you were not happy about Merc marketing- ie getting your knickers twisted.

Mate if you want decent responses try using some sentence structure so people can understand you.
Full stops and capital letters are used for a reason.
Not having a go at your education levels (I think it is probably laziness) but you are communicating in a written format so some level of grammar will make it a lot easier to understand what it is you are trying to say.

Moonlighter
12-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Model sharing isnt new. Neither is doing something to differentiate one of the shared models from the other.

Who knows, the Americans might have an ever so slightly different way of calculating hp to the Japanese, after all, one of those countries lives in the metric world, the other, along with only Liberia and Myanmar (formerly Burma), still live in the imperial world of measurement.

If your point was that some people are unaware of the model sharing between Tohatsu and Mercury in the lower hp 2 stroke range, then fair enough.

It was just that it was pretty hard to decipher exactly what the point you are trying to convey was, due to the rambling sentences and lack of structure and punctuation in what was written. I am sure you would get much more helpful, on-topic replies if you made just a little more effort in that regard.

swof63
12-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I kind of read the original post that he is happy that a 9.8 has 169 cubes but he feels a 9.9 should have 250-odd cubes. I would imagine an extra 130 cubes would equate to at least 10kgs more weight which is probably one of those deciding factors for some people.

Cheers.

up the creek
12-08-2016, 11:01 PM
did i do something wrong??? this is the second time ive been told me grammar was bad or i raved on but you know what i am very carefull not to reply to a persons post unless i am talking about what their threading about and being respectfull and i said sorry last time for taking it personal but i didnt dog ur post or comment on ur grammer so as i said get lost unless you want to talk about this subject and a thought isnt a pointing out of someones typing skills grow up

Moonlighter
13-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Ok, i will try to explain the problem more directly. Please dont take offence.

You say that you would like people to stick to the subject/topic that you have raised, right? And if they can't, to "bug off", right ?!

Well, what several of us are trying to gently point out to you is this:

1. It is, at best, very difficult to figure out exactly WHAT that point is you are trying to make in that first post! There is no clearly stated issue or question posed that is plain for all to understand. We have to guess what it is that youre trying to say.

2. And a decent part of the reason that people are having that difficulty is due to the sentences running into each other and the whole thing being one big long rambling paragraph with little attempt to use some basic puntuation and sentence structure.

Believe it or not, it is bloody hard to make yourself read that paragraph all the way through!

People are wanting to engage with you in a useful discussion, but, for these reasons you're making it far, far more difficult than it needs to be. The result is that many people just wont bother reading posts like that at all. You dont realise that you are cutting down your audience by a significant percentage because of that.

These and other comments about grammar etc are not meant to be critical of you, they are trying to help you to make your posts more easily readable so that more people will be willing to discuss things with you. That's all.

ranmar850
13-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Way back in the day, 9.9 s were a de-rated 15. Which meant they were a heavy 9.9 to carry around, and on the transom. Merc, Mariner, and OMC all did this. Why bother? 8's were usually an uprated 6. Nice and light to carry. I had an 8hp Tohatsu for donkeys years as a tender on my commercial boat, never missed a beat. Until it was stolen, thief went past jap and yank outboards of much newer appearance to steal this. I can only assume he was a connoisseur of good outboards>:( But I digress. I have two Mariners, 9.9 and 15, identical weight, as above. Which one am i going to pick up if I need to throw it on the ute and then lift it off and bolt to transom of dinghy? 15, obviously. Is this Suzuki heavier than the 9.9/9.8? Bet it is. This can be an issue. Don't get hung up on the 9.8/9.9 thing, there wouldn't be the slightest difference in performance. You seem to be making the assumption that, as a larger capacity motor, the Suzuki will be understressed and hence last longer. This is a small two-stroke twin we are talking about, I doubt it will make the slightest difference to longevity. Motors like this die of bad fuel corroding the bores, or little end bearings going and making your motors internals look like an inverted porcupine, or a ring snagging a transfer port, or a dozen other things like this. I don't think I have actually ever worn one out, and I've had a few. And please don't refer to their capacity's as "cubes"--I can only assume you are talking about the cubic capacity of the motor as measured in cubic CENTIMETRES (cc's) Cubes is, and has been forever, the common abbreviation for cubic INCHES. I'd hate to be trying to cart a dinghy outboard of 250 cubes around, its the same size as yer old Falcon's motor. (4,200cc's) ( or a 300hp outboard) ;) Refer to them as cc's( cee-cee's ) and you'll come across better.

The Woo
13-08-2016, 06:24 PM
lol twist my knickers i dont give a hoot im buying a suzuki 9.9 with 280cubes (a real 9.9) i just thoufght it was interesting to put it out there so people knew the new 9.9 merc has no more to offer then a 9.8 in cubes but hey if you dont have a genuine reply and want to talk about my topic then go reply to other posts
see, that's where ya went wrong.

aussiebasser
15-08-2016, 06:58 AM
did i do something wrong??? this is the second time ive been told me grammar was bad or i raved on but you know what i am very carefull not to reply to a persons post unless i am talking about what their threading about and being respectfull and i said sorry last time for taking it personal but i didnt dog ur post or comment on ur grammer so as i said get lost unless you want to talk about this subject and a thought isnt a pointing out of someones typing skills grow up

Dude, punctuation is your friend.

aussiebasser
15-08-2016, 07:01 AM
Way back in the day, 9.9 s were a de-rated 15. Which meant they were a heavy 9.9 to carry around, and on the transom. Merc, Mariner, and OMC all did this. Why bother? 8's were usually an uprated 6. Nice and light to carry. I had an 8hp Tohatsu for donkeys years as a tender on my commercial boat, never missed a beat. Until it was stolen, thief went past jap and yank outboards of much newer appearance to steal this. I can only assume he was a connoisseur of good outboards>:( But I digress. I have two Mariners, 9.9 and 15, identical weight, as above. Which one am i going to pick up if I need to throw it on the ute and then lift it off and bolt to transom of dinghy? 15, obviously. Is this Suzuki heavier than the 9.9/9.8? Bet it is. This can be an issue. Don't get hung up on the 9.8/9.9 thing, there wouldn't be the slightest difference in performance. You seem to be making the assumption that, as a larger capacity motor, the Suzuki will be understressed and hence last longer. This is a small two-stroke twin we are talking about, I doubt it will make the slightest difference to longevity. Motors like this die of bad fuel corroding the bores, or little end bearings going and making your motors internals look like an inverted porcupine, or a ring snagging a transfer port, or a dozen other things like this. I don't think I have actually ever worn one out, and I've had a few. And please don't refer to their capacity's as "cubes"--I can only assume you are talking about the cubic capacity of the motor as measured in cubic CENTIMETRES (cc's) Cubes is, and has been forever, the common abbreviation for cubic INCHES. I'd hate to be trying to cart a dinghy outboard of 250 cubes around, its the same size as yer old Falcon's motor. (4,200cc's) ( or a 300hp outboard) ;) Refer to them as cc's( cee-cee's ) and you'll come across better.

And, way back in the day before the day you were talking about, the 9.8hp motors were an engine in their own right, designed for many of the US lakes which had a stipulation that engines must be less than 10hp. Back then, they detuned 9.8s to make 7.5s. Merc didn't make a 15 until the 80s, but they've had a 9.8 since the 50s.