PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer brake maintenance

surveyor
07-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Hi
Spent the last week sourcing some parts for my trailer .i have a ally trailer with hydraulic brakes stainless alko calipers and alko torsion axles.
now most would be aware of the issues of jamming pistons in the calipers and also having to use stainless backing plate pads.
anyway had to replace the disc hubs as the rust up badly and got some trojan ones as the are fully galvanised and dont have the disc part machined back to bare metal.my PROBLEM is that the spacing is different by 5 mm so they hit the calipers even though both the alko and trojan are ford pattern with sl bearings .which type is standard or anyone have experience in this
cheers andrew>:(

scottar
07-08-2016, 04:26 PM
The joys of boat trailers. "Standard" seems to be a word that escapes the parts manufacturer's vocabularies. I looked at changing the calipers on mine to stainless ones - would of had to cut the mounts off and re-weld - destroying the gal on the axles in the process as there is no "standard" size for the calipers apparently (as advised by ALKO) - much the same as the hubs as it would seem.

ShaneC
07-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Can you adjust the slider pins?? Should be able to get 5mm out of them. Just loosen them off with the caliper still done up and move the caliper over, if you know what I mean. You are just effectively changing the point of where the calipers close on the disc not ghe position of the caliper. Hope this makes sense....

surveyor
07-08-2016, 06:34 PM
it does make sense but it is the fixed part of the caliper that hits .so need some off the caliper or mount but then it would be very close to the frame .
thanks

ShaneC
07-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Ah ok. I serviced my calipers a while back and couldnt get one to fit prooerly and it had me buggered why. Then I realised it was the only one I had fully taken apart and I had effectively changed its adjustment by putting it back together different to how it came out. Worked it out in the end. Good luck with it mate