PDA

View Full Version : Fold Down Rocket Launcher and Bimini

diver
07-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Can you show me a picture of your fold down rocket launcher and bimini and what you like or don't like about it and what you would do differently if making another.
How far forward should the Bimini go. above the windscreen or 100mm behind the windscreen or can it be a bit forward of the windscreen to provide a sun visor type effect ?

Some use 3 Bows and some are cantilevered from the Rocket Launcher with stays to the top of the windscreen and others have two side bars with bows off that so the top is relatively flat.
I have a 5.6m boat glass but was thinking of a alloy powder coated folding rocket launcher. Any ideas on a easy system to latch it in the upright position ? I favour some stays at the front down to the dash to make it as rigid as possible.

So if you have any tips tricks advice or photos to share I would appreciate it. I am located in Perth.The first photo is my boat, the second is a Bimini I like although I realise this one does not fold and the third photo is a flatter 2 side bars and 4 hoop type
Thanks Peter113852113853113854

scottar
07-08-2016, 02:40 PM
The only real answer is - it's your boat - it should be how you want it. I will be extending the cover on mine forward when it needs to be re-done. Being tall it is a pain to have the clears almost in your face when you are driving standing up. I would take a look at a lot of different websites and different boats to see what catches your eye and then talk to your chosen stainless and canvas guys to make sure they can achieve what you want.

Different manufacturers use different systems to secure the folding hinge. Mine hinges from deck level and has both a pin and a screw in fitting to secure it. As a suggestion, take a look at both Greens Marine Stainless and Designer Stainless websites for some ideas as well as any sites for the local Perth guys. These guys do the stainless for Cruisecraft and The Haines Group respectively.

Dignity
07-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Peter, it sounds like you need to fold the Bimini for storage or is it to towing. If for storage you would be better off having a SS frame with the fibreglass hard top. There are many ways to hinge the framework, mine I fold forward which gives me the ability to work in the boat unimpeded but pushing it forward was harder than I anticipated and it did change a few ideas I had. I was in a similar position where I had to rebuild the Bimini and decided to add on rocket launchers, in the end went with a combined unit and have loved it ever since. When I can I will try and post some pics

diver
08-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Hello Dignity, yes I wish it to fold for storage. I want it to be stable to be able use as a hand hold and tow up short distances. I am probably thinking about a targa type set up now that I have discovered the difference between the term Bimini and Targa. Did you make the hard top yourself ?

I was planning to use aluminium and have it anodised for the frame. Stainless is very expensive to have it fabricated into anything. I haven't worked out why people choose stainless over alloy given the large price difference.

Yes some photos of your setup would be appreciated.
The targa below popular in QLD looks practical to me, maybe affordable in aluminium.

scottar
08-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Stainless is a lot stronger for a given size and takes a lot more vibration to start to fatigue. It also doesn't have the same issue that aluminium does with galvanic corrosion every time you put a fastener into it.

Dignity
08-08-2016, 07:04 PM
I'll have to wait till I get back onto my pc as I have great difficulty attaching photos from my tablet. Interestingly enough I also am unable to do the census on the tablet as when I try to log in the site tells me my tablet doesn't meet minimum requirements yet it exceeds those stated. Maybe it's just me.

Dignity
12-08-2016, 09:04 AM
The other advantage of getting it built in SS is you can have a grab rail built at the same time as an integral part of the build, it attaches to the windscreen and cabin and makes it all nice and solid. Mine will fold backwards but as mentioned before it made life difficult if I wanted to do things in the cockpit etc before heading out and now I fold it forward however I had to use a temporary support at the front otherwise it kicked upwards to high for me to put it under the carport, it was made out of a few bits of 50 mm PVC piping. A couple of pics from previous postings, I realise I don't have many photos as I am always in the boat and none of my crew think to take any photos, but then again I only bring out the camera occasionally and just want to get back to fishing.