PDA

View Full Version : Casting deck help on 5.5m plate

Deeg164
05-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Hey guys,

im wanting to put a casting deck up the front of my stessl 550 trophy centre console just to give me the option of throwing a few lures when I'm at the reef and also make throwing a net easier when I'm up the creek. Also to give me a little storage space.
Never having done anything like this before I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a rough run down of what I should do or maybe even a link to a diy.
Any dos or donts?
Ply vs aluminium?
Structural support?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Deeg

PixieAU
05-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Don't...
....fall in.

:)

Coontakinta
05-08-2016, 02:56 PM
http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20340&highlight=kipper+refit

not a platey, nor anything like 5.5m but maybe a bit of an idea starter for you.

scottar
05-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Comes down to two things which are sort of tied together. How much do you want to spend and how professional/good do you want it to look. I built the one in my last tinnie out of 12mm ply, a few pine studs and some angle alloy. It was strong and functional but had a definite "rustic" appearance. You can sort of see it here113844 Sorry- best pic I have. Just remember - the higher your platform is - the more effect on stability it will play when someone tries to stand close to the sides

Dantren
05-08-2016, 06:26 PM
If you pay someone to fab one properly, make sure there are drainage channels around the hatch openings which drain outside the boat. This will help to keep the storage somewhat dry.
Bungs at the aft of the casting platform may be an option also, from memory the trophy has a ply/carpeted floor?

Deeg164
06-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Cheers for the replies guys. Yeah I won't be going to high with the platform. Yeah the trophy has a ply carpeted deck. I was thinking of going a sheet of alloy over ply to save a little on weight.
Would it be a good idea to seal the casting deck as much as possible to prevent too much water getting into storage. I will definitely be getting some drainage channels fabricated though.
I guess my main question is how would I run the support for the deck.....I know a fabricator who is very handy on the tools but he's never really done much with boats....

Dan5
06-08-2016, 07:47 AM
This is how I have done 4 or 5 now.......3mm alloy with a 50mm x 50mm fold at the end stiffened with 40mm x 10mm flat bar @ 300mm centers welded underneath and fully welded underside of the combing.....No hatch on top so it's water proof and esky's etc slide underneath on the floor with doors that open up for access........you could also have a vinyl rear cover made instead of doors.

Deeg164
07-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Cheers mate, that looks neat as. I'll definitely be using that as a guide.

scottar
07-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Just remember to leave enough room to get the floors out if you are going to weld anything in permanently.

Dan5
07-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Just remember to leave enough room to get the floors out if you are going to weld anything in permanently.
All the front panels are removable

scottar
07-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Was just a pointer in general. Have seen plenty of rigs over the years where simply wanting to run a new cable under the floor has been made into an absolute mission due to various accessories preventing the ability to easily remove floor panels.

Deeg164
08-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Good point mate, will make sure there's enough room left.