PDA

View Full Version : Prop noise on sounder

Almako
28-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Some of you are aware that I have had ongoing issues with my JRC FF60 getting prop noise in water over about 50m deep.

The time has come where I'm going to make a decision and do something (before the annual 1770 M&G) but wanted some of your thoughts.

Firstly, when I spoke to an extremely repritable prop supplier/manufacturer the first thing he said was.
It is unlikely to be prop noise, I have never heard of such a thing....
But of coarse I've been advised differently from the sounder installers.

So do I buy a new prop worth $800-900 in the hope that it's prop noise, or should I
buy a new sounder in the hope that a new sounder will fix the problem (using the same transducer/s there are x3 on board).

New sounder would be Furuno 585 at $2100 and minimal install, perhaps a plug change.

Now I did consider Garmin chirp as it's a different frequency but reality is I don't have $5500 + install to throw at before the M&G.

Any thoughts?

scottar
28-07-2016, 04:39 PM
I still suspect prop noise. Seen it before but there are no guarantees a new prop or new sounder will fix it. We had success by moving transducers forward - the hard part was gauging how far forward was going to give good results without being too far forward and thus coming out of the water. Either way I wouldn't drop any coin unless you can try the sounder first. Happy to give you a hand with trials if you like. Have a fcv-627 if you can't get your hands on one.

Almako
28-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks Scottar, I'll just need to get an adaptor made up? JRC to Furuno.

Skusto
28-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Just a thought but im pretty sure Solas Props let you trial there props before buying it may be an idea even if you have to pay a couple of bucks to try them might be a cheap option then buying a new prop and finding its not it?

Almako
28-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks Skusto, yep been talking to them.
Not sure it works exactly that way, I think its more like buy one and then trial others till your happy.

Noelm
29-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Surely you can borrow a prop (any size that fits) just for a trial, and see if there is a difference.

Dignity
29-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Not sure it works exactly that way, I think its more like buy one and then trial others till your happy.

Nope, tried a couple before I chose the one I wanted. Not seeing previous posts on this are the tranducers external or in hull or internal.

marto78
29-07-2016, 06:18 PM

You have to pay for one but if none of them fix the problem you can return them all and get your money back minus whatever it cost you to post them back.

Thats what i did a few years ago and it cost me about 14 bucks to send 2 props from kedron to the sunny coast.