PDA

View Full Version : Signature 632F eletric anchor winch advice

Swordfish56
20-07-2016, 07:49 PM
I recently purchased a 2010 632F Signature and I'm looking to fit an Anchor winch. I've hit a bit of a snag, I was intending to fit a drum style winch but there is a shelf in the way. I contacted Signature boats and they told me that the shelf was set up to take Maxwell vertical shaft windlass chain/rope winch. They did say that the shelf could be cut out if I wanted to fit a drum winch.
My question is, have any of you learnered fishos had experience with one of these Maxwell or any other brand of windlass style winches? Or has anyone had experience preforming the surgery on a Signature to accommodate a drum winch?
I had a Lone Star drum winch on my previous boat, I had no issues with it in the five years it was on the boat.
your feed back would be appreciated.

scottar
20-07-2016, 08:02 PM
It would be having surgery if it was mine. My rig (Seafarer) has a capstan type and is getting surgery if the winch ever sh*ts itself. The capstan type winches are slow, noisy, don't allow you to use a thimble for wear protection and regularly foul as they transition from rope to chain when retrieving the anchor.

They are better than having to pull the anchor by hand,compact and easier to install but that's about all I have nice to say about mine.

kc
20-07-2016, 08:13 PM
113610]Do yourself a favour. Buy a minn kota I-pilot instead and never have to use an anchor again =)

scottar
20-07-2016, 08:34 PM
113610]Do yourself a favour. Buy a minn kota I-pilot instead and never have to use an anchor again =)

Not sure I would trust the Kota with an overnight anchor....... Awesome for fishing though.

Andy56
20-07-2016, 11:30 PM
Thats what I did on my sig. I cut the shelf so that the drum could fit in. I cut a notch off the lid tip and trimmed it with a white car dr seal trim. I also put PVC under the chain from the roller to the lid. It wasn't a straight forward job but I got there. I also put a roller at the lid tip, from memory I had a SS bracket made up to support the roller. The best thing since sliced bread. lol

Swordfish56
21-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Mm, some interesting perspectives to my problem. I think the Minn Kota may struggle in some of the conditions in Bass Straight. I would like to see one in action controlling 21foot boat before I consider that option, maybe on the next ship.
Andy56 what sort and size of drum winch did you fit to your Signature? do you have any photos of it fitted. I agree with your comment, an anchor winch being the best thing since sliced bread. No need to put off the arduous task of pulling the anchor if you are not quite on the fish.
Thanks for your feedback guys.

perko
21-07-2016, 07:35 PM
My kevlacat 2400 had a lewmar capstan and I hated it. I deck mounted a lonestar gx3 and love it. Old winch was a pain with slipping and jamming. Pain at night in rough conditions.

Andy56
22-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Yes I have pictures and lots of them. Unfortunately they are on my HDD in Thailand.:-X
I am going back in October. If you can wait to prod me then.8-)
I had a 453rf so got a relatively small drum in. I only cut 1/4 of the shelf, just enough to get the drum in.
A real pain, are you listening Mr Haines, Mr Haines, Mr Haines.:D

Dignity
23-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Yep, would love to have one a minn kota but for overnight anchoring I would be concerned. I've had the Maxwell and now a Stressfree freefall winch, I would go for surgery as the vertical capstan has limitations as Scottar mentions.

Swordfish56
23-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks Dignity, it looks like surgery and a drum winch might be the go. just have to get the extra cost of a free fall job past the "The Minister for fun & finance"!
Andy56, I expect I will have resolved this issue by the time you return from the exotic place. Thanks for the offer to view your pics.

Cheers

Dignity
24-07-2016, 07:07 AM
A multitool is good for cutting into some of those tight places, the only issue is that they don't make any blades that will last the distance so you will go through a couple of them.

scottar
24-07-2016, 12:50 PM
A multitool is good for cutting into some of those tight places, the only issue is that they don't make any blades that will last the distance so you will go through a couple of them.

Absolutely. Best thing is that they don't throw dust too badly. If you have your vacuum running in close proximity, the job almost becomes enjoyable. I found the best blades were the tile cutting ones for the glass first and then switch to a sawtooth for the timber.

ranmar850
24-07-2016, 02:28 PM
It would be having surgery if it was mine. My rig (Seafarer) has a capstan type and is getting surgery if the winch ever sh*ts itself. The capstan type winches are slow, noisy, don't allow you to use a thimble for wear protection and regularly foul as they transition from rope to chain when retrieving the anchor.

They are better than having to pull the anchor by hand,compact and easier to install but that's about all I have nice to say about mine.

What make of capstan type do you have? I am considering a South Pacific SP800, (horizontal shaft gypsy)larger than most people would fit to a 5.85 m boat, but it will allow me to use a larger anchor/chain combo and won't be working hard. It's just too hard to fit a drum type to this boat ( Swiftcraft Dominator) unless I mount it out on the foredeck. A lot of people complain about the Lewmars.

scottar
24-07-2016, 05:37 PM
What make of capstan type do you have? I am considering a South Pacific SP800, (horizontal shaft gypsy)larger than most people would fit to a 5.85 m boat, but it will allow me to use a larger anchor/chain combo and won't be working hard. It's just too hard to fit a drum type to this boat ( Swiftcraft Dominator) unless I mount it out on the foredeck. A lot of people complain about the Lewmars.

It's a Muir. VR600 I think from memory.

ozscott
24-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Maxwell low profile should work. I like mine. Poles apart from my previous South Pacific. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ranmar850
25-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Was your previous South Pacific a 710 with freefall? Does your Maxwell have free fall?

ozscott
25-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Yes to both mate but I will post up some more detail later. The Maxwell pays out so quickly I don't bother free-falling it. Cheers

ozscott
26-07-2016, 07:03 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=199862

ozscott
26-07-2016, 07:04 PM
The difference between the South Pacific and this one is very large and well worth the price difference. The Maxwell is an animal and just goes hard. Very well built per the thread linked above. Cheers

ranmar850
26-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Cheers for that ozscott. Looks like the go, I even have the OK from the minister for finance ( who is a regular fishing companion)

ozscott
26-07-2016, 09:51 PM
HRC6. I paid $1057. Awesome windlass with quality circuit breaker and switch. Winch weighs 24 pounds.. 600 pound pulling power in my manual. I have a large Manson Supreme and 10 of chain and it pulls it up fast like it's got no load on. Best thing I have done for my boating. Cheers

ranmar850
29-07-2016, 09:57 PM
All of the manufacturers say you must use a snubber when anchored or travelling with the anchor in the fairlead--does anyone actually do this?

gofishin
29-07-2016, 10:58 PM
All of the manufacturers say you must use a snubber when anchored or travelling with the anchor in the fairlead--does anyone actually do this?
Yep, well a tether when travelling and a single line snubber if anchored overnight or when anchored in slop or in current etc (and I still have the chain thru the capstan and not into the nylon rope).

Spliced up the snubber out of nylon with an SS grab hook on the end to suit the short-link chain. Snubber takes out the chain rattle (thru the bow roller) a lot, and also provides peace of mind that that any movement/wave action is not going to let the clutch slip all night.

A mate had his clutch let go when traveling one time, & the anchor did some good damage to the hull. I've always used a tether for this reason.
Cheers
Brendon

ozscott
30-07-2016, 08:31 AM
I only use a retainer in very rough conditions... Actually I have forgotten to do so a number of times with no ill effects. . Cheers