PDA

View Full Version : Minn kota electric for Cruise craft outsider

Hillbillyfish
19-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Hi all, does anyone have an electric motor fitted to the hull of there cruise craft, haines or seafarer for use as an electric anchor. Interested in mounting designs.

Cheers

kc
20-07-2016, 09:18 AM
I've got an 80 with 60 inch shaft on my Triumph which I am about to sell and upgrade. The big issue is shaft length (No, don't anyone even go there). While the 60 inch shaft easily get deep enough and 80 lb is big enough to hold my 24 foot CC in modest current/wind conditions what needs to be considered is the pitching of the boat when it is head to sea, as it will be at "anchor". In my view you need to be burying the prop at least 90 cm below the water at rest to overcome the pitch factor, otherwise the motor will cavitate like mad every time the boat pitches upwards and both lose traction and position as well as shorten battery life by working too hard. I am upgrading to the new Ulterra 112, mainly due to the fact it has a 72 inch shaft. Don't really need the extra grunt. The 80 is sufficient, but, in any circumstance, you can never have too much horsepower. If you have not purchased yet and are thinking an 80 with 60 inch shaft I am selling mine cheap.

kc
20-07-2016, 12:08 PM
113606[Been and done some measuring for you rather than guess work. Shaft length is the issue and lets talk cm rather than inches. 60 inch is 152 cm. Length is from start of shaft to centre of prop. Take into account the locking spacer/steering fitting, mounting plate, quick mount bracket itself and you lose about 15 cm by the time it points to the water and measures from base line of the boat. Mine is then 110 cm to waterline in flat water and leaves 27cm of unit in water to centre of prop. This is not enough, certainly on my boat in any case and this has to factor in the sea conditions inside the reef are short chop, not rolling swell but as the boat pitches bow into a sea (as it will with min kotta down) I get enough pitching to have serious amounts of the prop leaving the water so would suggest all of that 27 cm depth is lost in pitching in modest to rough conditions and even reasonably calm condition results in occasional cavitation. I think you would want at least another 15 and preferably 20 cm more in the water, and bear in mind better too much than too little and you can always lock the shaft clasp at anything less. I would be measuring from base of fitted unit/upper gunnel to waterline and think anything more than 95 cm is potentially too much for a 60 inch/152cm shaft motor. Hope this helps.

kc

ozynorts
20-07-2016, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=kc;1618796If you have not purchased yet and are thinking an 80 with 60 inch shaft I am selling mine cheap.[/QUOTE]
Might be keen, PM sent

kc
20-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Have replied. Have not put it on the market yet to test value but think I am about the right number.

Smithy
20-07-2016, 05:05 PM
They seem to be the latest and greatest craze here on the Sunny Coast. There is a Cruise Craft with one out of Noosa. Here at Mooloolaba there is a 7m Mclay running one, an OMM, a Trailcraft, a 5.3 Poly and I have seen a big Quinnie half cab out of Bribie with one as well. Some are the Terranova self deploying ones and others are old school. Mostly 36V to get the extra long shaft lengths so that means three batteries in the front of your boat and all of the associated issues with that! A couple of the guys have alloy brackets that drop them down lower than the side decks.

kc
20-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Can say from experience these things are the greatest boon in offshore deep water fishing since the GPS itself. Exact precision anchoring ever time. They are becoming a must have for guys up here chasing deep water red fish and the ability to sit right on the pressure wave of a reef edge or bommie slays the trout as well

Hillbillyfish
20-07-2016, 11:26 PM
I mainly chase trout and nannies, I've found with trout u have to move alot and need to be anchored in the right spot. Even though I have an electric winch I'm still thinking a minn kota would be the ultimate.

Hillbillyfish
20-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Also, if anyone has pics of an electric mounted on there cruise craft I would appreciate then so much. Just trying to get my head around cutting grab rails ect.

scottar
21-07-2016, 12:08 AM
I mainly chase trout and nannies, I've found with trout u have to move alot and need to be anchored in the right spot. Even though I have an electric winch I'm still thinking a minn kota would be the ultimate.

The ultimate would be one of the new jobbies that self deploys at the push of a button. Not cheap toys though.

You may not need to cut any rails. As the motor will basically be at full depth to operate, it may well sit below rail height. All that will be involved if this is the case is a bit of care to be taken during deployment and stowage. The biggest issue will possibly be having stowage space. They are a bloody difficult thing to sort out fitting by measurement alone - far easier if you actually have it there so you can see how it sits. Might have to see if you can find one somewhere to have a play prior to purchase.

myusernam
21-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Id look at the motor guides. More accirate dpot lock (more noticeble in creeks) jog function, more reliable and all spares and repairable at mercury dealers. No need to send to importer

Hillbillyfish
21-07-2016, 10:55 PM
I'll have a look at them. I've seen blokes make a plate that bolt onto the bow sprit and then have the electric motor mounted to the side of the sprit on the plate. This way u can still use your sprit for anchoring if u need to.

rayken1938
22-07-2016, 07:16 AM
New model kotas are coming.
Problem with guides is that dealers do not have much experience with them ok when they are still in warranty but when they are out of warranty is that you are paying for their trial and error. They also only stock consumables such as sheer pins you still have to wait for circuit boards to come from mercury.

Cheers
Ray

Dantren
22-07-2016, 10:41 AM
I saw the Cruise Craft at Noosa at the ramp one day.
Had the wife & kids with me so I didn't get a close look but it looked to be fitted straight onto the bowsprit, with the shaft sitting at 6oclock.
This might only work on the outsider as the cabin is further aft.
Scott is right, you'd need to put the electric in place to find out if it would fit.