PDA

View Full Version : Diy trailer skid options 'A' or 'B'

ashh
18-07-2016, 09:50 PM
I have a little 3m flat bottom aluminium punt and I'm repurposing our 6x4 box trailer to carry it.
i was just carrying it upside down like a cartooper, but when going solo it would be much easier having it the right way up. I do have the fold down wheels which mean I can launch it just about anywhere without a boat ramp, but when there is the option to use a ramp, it would be a lot easier launching it the traditional way....
Anyways, I'm a plumber of sorts and have a heap of pvc pipe I can use as skids. For fixing the pvc pipe to the trailer bed, I was going to drill a hole big enough to get a 10x16 metal screw down inside the pipe and fix the pipe down to the trailer bed through bottom of the pipe so there's no screw heads that could gouge the bottom of the boat.
I was going to use the blue Teflon skid stuff you can get from whitworths but they aren't thick enough and the keel is a good 10mm deeper than the depth of the blue strips and would drag along the trailer bed, so the pvc pipe idea makes the keel clear the trailer bed perfectly.

Option A: would have one length across the rear with a V cut out as a self centring guide for the keel and the rest of the lengths running the same way as the chines and positioned so they support between some of the chines.

Option B: would see all the lengths running horizontal to the chines with a V for the keel cut in each one....

thoughts?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ashgilliver/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0300.jpg

gofishin
18-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Motor on or off when you are using your box trailer as a 'boat trailer'? If motor on, what will the transom overhang be? I wouldn't suggest motor on though.

Option B will kill your bottom sheets/tinny, quick smart.

Pressed tinnies that size need keel support most, plus longitudinal skids to stop the hull rocking side to side, one skid each side. At that size tinny you could probably get away with a skinny strip of plastic front & back of trailer, under the keel, but located under the parts where ribs meet the keel. If the keel is flat over the 6" trailer length, use 3 keel supports.

You can get the blue plastic in 300mm to 1200 long x ~70 x ~30, smooth or grooved, solid or hollow, for side skids. Locate out near the chines. May need to cut down though if too high, else PVC should be ok here too, and a lot cheaper.
Cheers

Noelm
19-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Run the skids across, then a support to stop it tipping sideways, just like a boat trailer?

ashh
19-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Motor on or off when you are using your box trailer as a 'boat trailer'? If motor on, what will the transom overhang be? I wouldn't suggest motor on though.

Option B will kill your bottom sheets/tinny, quick smart.

Pressed tinnies that size need keel support most, plus longitudinal skids to stop the hull rocking side to side, one skid each side. At that size tinny you could probably get away with a skinny strip of plastic front & back of trailer, under the keel, but located under the parts where ribs meet the keel. If the keel is flat over the 6" trailer length, use 3 keel supports.

You can get the blue plastic in 300mm to 1200 long x ~70 x ~30, smooth or grooved, solid or hollow, for side skids. Locate out near the chines. May need to cut down though if too high, else PVC should be ok here too, and a lot cheaper.
Cheers

Transom overhangs rear of trailer 700mm, no out board motor, only an electric motor is used and that's transported in the car. It's pretty much barebones no false floors or anything.

so you reckon like option A but run a blue strip the length of the trailer where the keel sits, then just some support at the outer side bottom edges. Cheers

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ashgilliver/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_9.jpg

scottar
19-07-2016, 10:22 AM
If the front gate comes off the trailer, I would be inclined to remove it and find a cheap second hand winch and post to fit to the centre rail on the drawbar and try to reduce the overhang (just remember though when reversing or turning tight corners). I would also be trying to incorporate at least one roller where the keel has to come up over the edge at the back of the trailer. The best variants I have seen of this sort of thing have been done as a frame so that there are no fittings permanently in the trailer bed when you want to use it as a box trailer - the frame just drops in. The most common material I have seen used is timber. If you set up a couple of slides like ramps off the back edge you can reverse your trailer down, fit the slides and winch your boat on - no need to remove anything and you don't have to dunk your trailer. Just make sure the slides have a secure attachment at the top

ashh
19-07-2016, 10:44 AM
If the front gate comes off the trailer, I would be inclined to remove it and find a cheap second hand winch and post to fit to the centre rail on the drawbar and try to reduce the overhang (just remember though when reversing or turning tight corners). I would also be trying to incorporate at least one roller where the keel has to come up over the edge at the back of the trailer. The best variants I have seen of this sort of thing have been done as a frame so that there are no fittings permanently in the trailer bed when you want to use it as a box trailer - the frame just drops in. The most common material I have seen used is timber. If you set up a couple of slides like ramps off the back edge you can reverse your trailer down, fit the slides and winch your boat on - no need to remove anything and you don't have to dunk your trailer. Just make sure the slides have a secure attachment at the top

good idea with making a frame that just lays in the bed, could just bolt it down for easy removal.
I am making the front and rear panels of the trailer removable so it can still be used as a box trailer and the boat is mounted as far forward as possible, had to leave enough room so as it wasn't too close to the rear of the towing vehicle and enough room had to be allowed for turning of the winch handle.
Ive welded up my own winch post and had an old winch laying around. The receiver that will have a V block fit to it which will hold the bow snug, is adjustable up and down, so I will definitely be making a little frame that just lays in the trailer.
Obviously not complete, but pic gives an idea of progress.
There will be a turnbuckle to secure boat to trailer drawbar just under the winch post.
Thanks again for your input :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ashgilliver/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0299.jpg

Chris Tucker
19-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Go with abs (black) pipes for the lot. works for these (http://customfloats.com.au/) guys.

Dignity
19-07-2016, 04:58 PM
how about just putting some cross members across the trailer and screw in a set of kayak holders like below and keep carrying it as normal but right side up

http://www.crazysales.com.au/online-universal-kayak-carrier-73381.html?utm_campaign=Kayaks&utm_term=CT-5672&utm_source=source&utm_medium=medium&aid=11&gclid=CKOlj8P5_s0CFZOSvQodjagIWQ

just realised you are way out in front with the modifications to use my idea.

ashh
19-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Yeah I was carrying it up side down on the rails of the trailer, but just wanted the convenience of normal launch and retrieve boat trailer using what I already have.