PDA

View Full Version : Common outboard issues to be aware of

Crunchy
14-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Hoping to get a thread going that lists common outboard issues to be aware of. Not 'one-off's' but known problems that occur with certain outboard brands / models / HP / years. Examples might be:

Yamaha 225HP 4-stroke 200X - 20XX corrosion problems in exhaust system & oil pan
Yamaha 300 - 350HP 200X - 20XX flywheel problems?
Evenrude FICHT 1999-2003 power head failures
Suzuki 90-115-140HP 200X - 20XX corrosion of engine holders

I realise these issues are often covered thoroughly in different posts / sites but summary in one thread would be a handy ready reckoner for Ausfisher's when looking at purchasing boats or being aware of potential problems with their existing outboards. Not being in the industry I would be a user not a contributor to such a thread 8-)

TheRealPoMo
14-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Awaiting Honda examples.
Cue SpaniardKing...

Noelm
14-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Balancer failures in the 150HP Yamaha, oil cooler problems with the 140 Suzuki, corrosion though block in various Yamaha 4 strokes at the thermostat, the drive shaft getting seized in Suzukies, especially the 250, I will think of some more shortly.

Noelm
14-07-2016, 05:26 PM
OH, and not really brand specific, but, non genuine oil filters leaking/splitting. Numerous Mercury electrical issues, especially the stator, seems to still be a feature today!

Noelm
14-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Awaiting Honda examples.
Cue SpaniardKing...
I don't think Honda has many issues, except corrosion in the early ones (long time ago now) and their paint seems a tad suspect, but nothing that I know off that is known to fail.

myusernam
14-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Ficht v6 only

Noelm
14-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Just remembered, thrust bearing failure in Yamaha 300HP major drama that one when it goes, and of course the Optimax early compressor failures, and bolts breaking, allowing the alternater to zip around under the cowling!

Moonlighter
14-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Should try to be as specific as possible with models and model years, otherwise you can get people worried unnecessarily. Plus, if there is a solution or action to address it, say what that is too.

eg

Suzuki DF90-140, pre-2008: engine holder corrosion A known issue of engine holder corrosion in the earlier Suzuki DF 90-140 series, this was solved in with the release of the 2008 MY, so only applies to models earlier than that. Corrosion appears in the engine just below the flushing port, leading to exhaust gases being released under the cowl, causing running problems and possible heat damage to wiring in the proximity. May need to remove the lower cowl to see it clearly.

It can be successfully fixed by
1. Grinding the affected area out and welding up (even though Noel thinks that is a patch job, others have had long term success!) cost less than $200
2. Removing the offending plug and replacing with an after-market plug. Similar cost to option 1.
3. In bad cases, replacing the entire engine holder. Cost ~ $1500+ depending on labour or if you do it yourself.

Fuel in oil/known as "making oil" Any EFI 4 stroke engine with a vapour separator may suffer this issue if the needle and seat/float in the VST tank is blocked or not set correctly. Excessive fuel accumulates in the VST and is then drained from a hose designed to send fuel vapours only into the sump.

Solution: fix the blockage/incorrect float/needle in the VST. Put fresh oil in, go fishing.

Spaniard_King
14-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Awaiting Honda examples.
Cue SpaniardKing...

Not many manufacturing issues, most issues attributed from poor engine fit up and product knowledge by dealers and dealers not reading service bulletins. A lot of issues identified by Honda have been rectified by warranty recalls and usually the warranty on that particular part extended to ensure the engine receives the upgrade within a stated time (has been up to 10 years)

Early model V6 had oxygen sensor issues when engine were mounted too low on boats (rectified with new exhaust manifold and shielded 02 Sensor)
Some early model v6's suffered exhaust valve failures form failure to adjust the tappets at the correct service interval (non of the engines I look after have ever suffered a valve failure)
early model carby 50's crack the gearbox(just like the yamies) New gearbox design in 2005 fixed this
early 115-130 HP up to 2002 used in high temp waters cracked heads and blocks (new block and heads with these engines given a 10 year warranty)

No other stand out issues. most issues arise from poor engine installation and over propping

Noelm
14-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Moonlighter, welding the exhaust is a permanent fix, patching involves epoxies and riveted plates (in my opinion) that said, if I planned on keeping and early model for a long time, I would replace the engine holder.

Cobbo1
14-07-2016, 08:15 PM
OH, and not really brand specific, but, non genuine oil filters leaking/splitting. Numerous Mercury electrical issues, especially the stator, seems to still be a feature today!

Just remembered, thrust bearing failure in Yamaha 300HP major drama that one when it goes, and of course the Optimax early compressor failures, and bolts breaking, allowing the alternater to zip around under the cowling!

Hi Noel, do you mind going into a bit more depth about the mercs, particularly the optimax?

Cheers, Corey.

Noelm
15-07-2016, 05:23 AM
The early Optimax, not too sure of the year they modified them, had compressor failures, very expensive to fix, and a bolt that would break, allowing the alternator to smash things to bits as it got whipped around under the cowl, most knowledgable dealers replace the bolt at service time, but plenty didn't/don't and the bolt simply broke from fatigue, pretty well documented if you do a bit a searching, I know one guy that had an early one, 2 compressors later he traded it in.

Crunchy
15-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Should try to be as specific as possible with models and model years, otherwise you can get people worried unnecessarily. Plus, if there is a solution or action to address it, say what that is too.

eg

Suzuki DF90-140, pre-2008: engine holder corrosion A known issue of engine holder corrosion in the earlier Suzuki DF 90-140 series, this was solved in with the release of the 2008 MY, so only applies to models earlier than that. Corrosion appears in the engine just below the flushing port, leading to exhaust gases being released under the cowl, causing running problems and possible heat damage to wiring in the proximity. May need to remove the lower cowl to see it clearly.

It can be successfully fixed by
1. Grinding the affected area out and welding up (even though Noel thinks that is a patch job, others have had long term success!) cost less than $200
2. Removing the offending plug and replacing with an after-market plug. Similar cost to option 1.
3. In bad cases, replacing the entire engine holder. Cost ~ $1500+ depending on labour or if you do it yourself.

Fuel in oil/known as "making oil" Any EFI 4 stroke engine with a vapour separator may suffer this issue if the needle and seat/float in the VST tank is blocked or not set correctly. Excessive fuel accumulates in the VST and is then drained from a hose designed to send fuel vapours only into the sump.

Solution: fix the blockage/incorrect float/needle in the VST. Put fresh oil in, go fishing.

Perfect! Good idea...

billfisher
15-07-2016, 09:03 AM
The injectors are a weak point in the DI 2 strokes. Very vulnerable to bad fuel, particularly water in the fuel. Also any restrictions in the fuel supply can cause major damage.

scottar
15-07-2016, 10:07 AM
The injectors are a weak point in the DI 2 strokes. Very vulnerable to bad fuel, particularly water in the fuel. Also any restrictions in the fuel supply can cause major damage.

Fuel systems in general in all modern (not a carby) outboards are vulnerable to bad fuel regardless of persuasion.

billfisher
15-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Fuel systems in general in all modern (not a carby) outboards are vulnerable to bad fuel regardless of persuasion.

4 strokes even if fuel injected seem to be less somewhat less prone to these problems and as you mentioned the carby 2 strokes are much more forgiving.

Fed
15-07-2016, 11:07 AM
I bet on balance that owners & dealers cause way more problems than the actual outboards.

Crunchy
15-07-2016, 11:19 AM
I bet on balance that owners & dealers cause way more problems than the actual outboards.

That may be correct but there a many instances of recurring issues with certain brands / sizes / years that are not related to installation / servicing or neglect, unfortuantely some manufacturers have purposely failed to deal with said issues even when they know about them (E.g. Yamaha and the exhaust corrosion issue), it is these types of issues I'm hoping to summarise on this thread.

Moonlighter
15-07-2016, 12:14 PM

Now you made me curious.

I went to another brand specific forum Im a member of and looked at the last 50 threads, and assessed the issues and they fall roughly into the following categories.

Now, remember that the reason people go onto those brand specific forums is because they have a problem and want help.

- actual engine or component failure: 13%
- wear and tear issue, old motor, or lack of maintenance: 28%
- "how do I/where is/" seeking information questions: 33%
- I broke it/did something stupid please help me! 8%
- bad setup, installation, wrong prop, boat issue such as fuel: 18%

Oh, and one was there to say how pleased they were with their new motor!

of the actual engine issues, 2 or 3 were for known type problems that would be fixed under warranty, a phone call to their dealer would have saved them asking "the internet".

sjp2
15-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Yamaha - Attracting evergrowing mudwasp nests ,especially when its parked for quite awhile in the shed -must be the colour ::).