PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass vs alloy

up the creek
10-07-2016, 07:36 PM
hey ausfishers..

i am about to buy a new aluminium boat my 1st one ive always had little fibreglass dinghys and prefer fibreglass, i dont believe 1 is better at all things but obviously they both have pros and cons depending on what there intended use is..
i still dont know why i prefer fibreglass maybe i feel a little safer so if anyone would like to post what they think the diferences and advantages or disadvantages are between not only small boats but larger boats also then please post away your thoughts.. i also would like to hear your thoughts and see if i can get more info, and as always for the new boat buyer to have more info.. thanks

Still_Dreamin
10-07-2016, 08:18 PM
I had alloy tinnies before buying fibreglass family half cabin. Benefit heavier so rides a bit better and doesn't like a bass drum each time it hits a swell. Very warm cabin. Some might more aesthetic lines. No blistering paint
Downside
Easy to scratch hull. More care needed docking, beaching and trailering.
Heavier to tow.
Am I happy with my fibreglass hull choice?absolutely. Would I have been happy with alloy? Absolutely.
Whatever you end up with, enjoy it and stop comparing once purchase made

up the creek
10-07-2016, 08:45 PM
this post is not to compare once purchase is made it is to inform those who aint owned both boats have a little more info.. and not everyone has the chance once a purchase is made to buy another boat we aint all rich.. it is a simple chance for people to share what they think about alloy vs fibreglass boats and have something to talk about.. if you dont like the thread dont add anything

Gon Fishun
10-07-2016, 09:15 PM
No I wont say it.
Dad said, If you can't say something nice shut the fk up.

up the creek
10-07-2016, 09:21 PM
if that comment gon fishin was to support free, friendly discussion on a wonderful site like ausfish which i pay to be a member so we can chat about the things we love boats fishing outdoors etc.. then thank you.. i will say to everyone i start some posts time to time and dont always know if there good or smart or worthy but i am just trying to have something we can chat about as i enjoy signing in and chatting to others like myself who love this site and the boating,fishing lifestyle so yes its true if you cant say anything nice then maybe you need a chill pill...

Gon Fishun
10-07-2016, 09:45 PM
if that comment gon fishin was to support free, friendly discussion on a wonderful site like ausfish which i pay to be a member so we can chat about the things we love boats fishing outdoors etc.. then thank you.. i will say to everyone i start some posts time to time and dont always know if there good or smart or worthy but i am just trying to have something we can chat about as i enjoy signing in and chatting to others like myself who love this site and the boating,fishing lifestyle so yes its true if you cant say anything nice then maybe you need a chill pill...

Wasn't that what Still Dreamin was doing?

scottar
10-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Wasn't that what Still Dreamin was doing?

I thought so.

up the creek
10-07-2016, 11:46 PM
not sure if you cant read between the lines as i see it still dreamin told me in his words all there is to know and to stop comparing which plainly implies that no1 else can have any thought or say as hes told us all not to compare.. guess what ill say what i want when i want and i challenge anyone to my right to post any thread i like and to say what i want as this website is for people to share there thoughts and not be told by some1 not to compare thats how i see it if im worng please tell me i wanted to talk about fibreglass vs alloy with any1 who wanted to not be told not to compare ill compare all day long...

up the creek
11-07-2016, 12:50 AM
maybe it was just a comment to stop comparing maybe i see it as telling me my thread was silly... it dont matter i broke my own golden rule that someones opinion wether i agree or not is there opinion and im sorry for any comments i made as i was here to chat and be a friend and confidant and chat boats which i love on this site which is an awesome site and you are all awesome i emailed web support to help my delete my account time to move on from ausfish for me so bye for now ausfishers and tell noelm for me one more time cos i cant resist.. lol lol lol lol (he couldnt stand my lols) happy trails..

Noelm
11-07-2016, 07:14 AM
This turned out nice didn't it?

hino310
11-07-2016, 09:10 AM
This turned out nice didn't it?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!;D

terryc
11-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I think this topic is a good one, for the past couple of years I've been wrestling with whether to go to a plate aluminium only for reason of being able to launch at close to home Ramp with stony beach either side. Having only had smaller aluminium boats and all the rest bigger fibreglass boats, i am always keen to read relevant comments on this topic.

Flex
11-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Biggest advantage of glass is it lasts for ever and can be refurbished easily to new.
Glass rides better than plate generally.
the average joe can easily repair and fix glass,
heck you could smash your glass boat into a breakwall at 60km/h and fix it to new in a few weeks.

while ally is tougher in and around boat ramps/rocks for stratches, if you smash an ally boat into a reef its more complex to fix.

plus all ally boats corrode with time and have a limited lifespan compared to ally.

Ally is nice as you can get a bigger boat for a given weight. so you can get a m plate over a 6m glass.
ally can be easier to modiy awell.

Camhawk88
11-07-2016, 09:41 AM
maybe it was just a comment to stop comparing maybe i see it as telling me my thread was silly... it dont matter i broke my own golden rule that someones opinion wether i agree or not is there opinion and im sorry for any comments i made as i was here to chat and be a friend and confidant and chat boats which i love on this site which is an awesome site and you are all awesome i emailed web support to help my delete my account time to move on from ausfish for me so bye for now ausfishers and tell noelm for me one more time cos i cant resist.. lol lol lol lol (he couldnt stand my lols) happy trails..

I hope you find the help you need mate.

Still_Dreamin
11-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Mate stop taking agro pills. I gave you my experience with both. The last comment was just meant to mean enjoy your boat what ever you have and not to waste time thinking what if.
Sorry if you were offended as none was intended

DaveR
11-07-2016, 11:44 AM
not sure if you cant read between the lines as i see it still dreamin told me in his words all there is to know and to stop comparing which plainly implies that no1 else can have any thought or say as hes told us all not to compare.. guess what ill say what i want when i want and i challenge anyone to my right to post any thread i like and to say what i want as this website is for people to share there thoughts and not be told by some1 not to compare thats how i see it if im worng please tell me i wanted to talk about fibreglass vs alloy with any1 who wanted to not be told not to compare ill compare all day long...

I believe he was just saying that they're both good and that after you've purchased one or the other not to worry about comparing them because there's no wrong choice.

up the creek
11-07-2016, 11:55 AM
lol thanks for the help i need comment camhawk.. im all good i just done what we all do now and then and took a post personal..sorry lads,, and all good still dreamin didnt mean to have a go at ya.. and for people like terryc who posted above that he thinks this thread would be helpfull,, that is what the thread was for. so if we can chat about it, it would be good and as i said id like to know your thoughts as i dont know it all either on the pros cons of fibreglass vs alloy mainy in smaller boats for me but also larger for everyone as well thanks..:)

Fish Face
11-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Wow.. .:-X

Noelm
11-07-2016, 05:48 PM
To be honest, I can't imagine ever owning a fiberglass boat smaller than about 4.5m the small boat market is aluminiums domain (in my opinion)

terryc
11-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Biggest advantage of glass is it lasts for ever and can be refurbished easily to new.
Glass rides better than plate generally.
the average joe can easily repair and fix glass,
heck you could smash your glass boat into a breakwall at 60km/h and fix it to new in a few weeks.

while ally is tougher in and around boat ramps/rocks for stratches, if you smash an ally boat into a reef its more complex to fix.

plus all ally boats corrode with time and have a limited lifespan compared to ally.

Ally is nice as you can get a bigger boat for a given weight. so you can get a m plate over a 6m glass.
ally can be easier to modiy awell.

Thanks Flex good info. I came away from last years Brisbane Boat show scratching my head over the difference in Warranty that Telwater were offering : new Savage fibreglass 10 yr warranty, whereas their Aluminium plate boats were only 3 yrs warranty, both looked great offerings yet lack of term in aluminium warranty left me questioning why. I was very impressed by the look of the Quintrex Trident 6m+, but i have never been on the water in one.

Flex
11-07-2016, 07:37 PM
It all comes down to your intended use with boats.
I wouldn't personally touch a 6m plate boat and specially a mass produced one like quintrex, Stacer (which are questionable whether they are even plate)

If your only poking around Moreton bay then any 6m boat is totally fine. 6m Quintrex is rather nice to fish from I'd imagine.

If your going to run 120m out and back every weekend your gunna need that 3y warranty if you own a quintrex.

So need to ask yourself what type of fishing you mostly do and where, then buy a boat suitable.

reelally
11-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Fibreglass vs Ally IMO

Fibreglass seems to ride better....because it's quieter. The material doesn't cut the water any better than aluminium especially some of the new breed plate boats. Fill the plate boats with foam and they ride like fibreglass!

Fibreglass damages easier and takes longer to fix. Easier for the backyarder to repair compared to aluminium however if you aren't trained in fibreglass you shouldn't do it and most likely the job won't be as strong.

Aluminium- Two sides to this material
1: thin sheet, the 'tinnie' &
2: plate aluminium.
Huge difference and should not be labeled under the same banner.

Tinnies are built for a price and only last a few years. Plate boats are normally built using 4mm minimum plate and use a different grade of aluminium '5083' high tensile. Doesn't tend to corrode as quickly as the 5052 tinnie. Plate boats are heavier than the tinnie which tends helps with the performance, strong as nails if built correctly and will last for years. No trees in plate boats either so no Rott.

As with any boat construction medium there are good and bad brands that all differ. I know some plate boats that would run rings around some of the leading fibreglass boats. But in the small boats used in creeks the tinnie is really to best option.

airlock
11-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Usually it comes down to a few factors and a rough summery would be this.

Glass boats are heavier, sit better in the water but more weight to tow and harder to launch and retrieve. They also don't age nearly as well as the wood rots and the transoms once rotted and flexible are an expensive fix, Glass boats draw a little more water due to the extra weight, they are also quite at anchor without the banging the tin boats make.

In most respects either material will do the job just fine so long as the size and shape of the hull is fit for the job.
Alloy boats are lighter and therefore easier to tow, launch and retrieve but don't cut through chop as well, they draw less water so work better for shallow river work and shallow bar crossings at low tide. Alloy boats are usually cheaper and last a little longer if you are looking at older used models as they don't suffer from the same rot.

Noelm
11-07-2016, 08:22 PM
A few rather broad statements in those last two posts, some OK, some pretty well completely wrong, but let's just let it rest at that.

reelally
11-07-2016, 08:47 PM
A few rather broad statements in those last two posts, some OK, some pretty well completely wrong, but let's just let it rest at that.

Ford vs Holden , Labor vs Liberal. This thread will never end.

scottar
11-07-2016, 09:05 PM
In small boats the biggest differences will be weight - glass will be heavier unless you look at something in foam sandwich like a Cross Country and therefore require more horsepower. It will ride better due to it's weight as a general rule but won't be as easy to manhandle. Noise - tinnies are noisy - if you are fishing in skinny water for spooky fish glass will have an advantage. Thermal properties of the material - glass obviously doesn't conduct away heat to the same degree as a tinnie so fishing in winter may be a bit more comfortable. Another advantage of glass over tin may occur if you like to cast net - a glass boat (assuming it doesn't have carpet, won't have the ribs that a tinnie does for all the mud and crap to get under and will be easier to clean (a plate boat with a sealed floor is a different animal though). If the boat is going to live outside in the sun - glass will require extra care to protect the gelcoat. Glass also won't get holes in it if you leave sinkers and swivels laying around. The timber in a glass rig can rot but if the boat is kept out of the weather, not left with fresh water in the hull and any penetrations into the timber are treated properly, they will last a long time and there are composite materials available to replace the timber so it never happens again. Alloy will corrode - being in contact with carpet that is constantly wet will do nasty things as will leaving crap and rubbish under a false floor. Glass boats do require more care at the ramp and around rocks.

up the creek
12-07-2016, 01:55 PM
great info guys i know a lot of you know a lot about boating etc and its good to share.. my 2 bobs worth is ive always had fibreglass maybe im prone to what i know but my next tinne will be a tinne (that made sense) ha ha this time around im going for reduction in weight over quieter ride as i could only afford a little 18hp this time around which im happy with but by the time i load the missus 2 dogs esky fuel etc well im hoping ive got enough ponies to get up on the plane..

kc
13-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Having owned a stack of both over the years they each have there pros and cons. Looking back at all of them, and depending on how rough you are with them, I still think the best boat I ever owned for creek work was a 4.5 Top ender with side console. I have been through a few punts, most recently a beautiful little glass V Nose punt called a "Mangrove Mauler" Pic attached and now run the third alternative in a creek boat....a plastic one (US plastic not polycraft) Pic att. My current little boat is the ducks nuts in terms of durability and function but at 4.1 meters is a bit little in some aspects compared to the 4.5 top ender.

scottar
13-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Having owned a stack of both over the years they each have there pros and cons. Looking back at all of them, and depending on how rough you are with them, I still think the best boat I ever owned for creek work was a 4.5 Top ender with side console. I have been through a few punts, most recently a beautiful little glass V Nose punt called a "Mangrove Mauler" Pic attached and now run the third alternative in a creek boat....a plastic one (US plastic not polycraft) Pic att. My current little boat is the ducks nuts in terms of durability and function but at 4.1 meters is a bit little in some aspects compared to the 4.5 top ender.

I still get a laugh out of the "Bubba Test" video. If you can put up with the extra weight, I reckon you are on the money.

kc
13-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Bubbas boat test..plus the helicopter drop:-*. I'm not sure if they really are the world's toughest boats, but if they are not, I don't know what else is. Fell for the big bertha (235 CC) and converted my creek boat down to its little sister the 150 cc. I do have to run a few more horses but every time I run it up the ramp, or hit some oyster rock in the shallows I smile instead of grimace.

liprippa
17-07-2016, 12:16 PM
A couple more comments not mentioned and are purely from my experience. Plate alloy boats plane at a lower speed especially the bigger boats (7mtr plus), this is a real advantage when the seas become rough and you are out wide. My 7.4mtr plate boat planes all day at 10 knots, there might be fiberglass boats of a similar size that do the same but I don't know of any. Internal dimensions are larger and customising is easier. On the down side they are noisier especially when it comes to inboards as noise transmits and bounces off aluminium better. I agree fiberglass rides better but some of the modern plate alloy boats are not far behind. Both have their place and it comes down to your requirements and past experiences.

Chris Tucker
17-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Plate boats plane easier and faster because they typically have a deadline of 15-20 degrees as against glass boats which are often 25+ degrees. if you're talking old school boats the fibreglass boat is also heavier. Basically the differences in performance are nothing to do with material. They have to do with design. If you build a plate boat with the same dead rise and displacement as a glass boat and they'll ride similarly and go the same speed.

sjp2
18-07-2016, 07:19 AM
cairns custom craft website give a reasonable (maybe with a slight bias )of the two materials ,have a read.

ranga7
18-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Why are you buying a alloy boat when you said in your opening post twice, that you prefer fibreglass??

myusernam
18-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Plate boats plane easier and faster because they typically have a deadline of 15-20 degrees as against glass boats which are often 25+ degrees. if you're talking old school boats the fibreglass boat is also heavier. Basically the differences in performance are nothing to do with material. They have to do with design. If you build a plate boat with the same dead rise and displacement as a glass boat and they'll ride similarly and go the same speed.
Well I'm fxcked if I know why everyone insists on designing shxt riding low dead rise high sided offshore boats. Why doesn't someone do something different for a change. Who ever walked into a designers office and said I want a massive great offshore rig that's going to cost me a packet and I want it to ride like shxt please? 15 deg dead rise! Awesome

up the creek
18-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Why are you buying a alloy boat when you said in your opening post twice, that you prefer fibreglass??

are you asking me ranja?? if so i never had an alloy boat and want to try them.. also i could only afford a little 18hp outboard so less weight boat the better then of course eky missus etc so went for whats lightest..

stang69
19-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Whats better, a stubby or a can?
If you like cans, you probably like tinnies.
If you like stubbies, you probably like glass boats.
If you wear your wife's dresses when she isn't home you probably like plastic boats.

kc
19-07-2016, 07:50 PM
113605[QUO

TE][/QUOTE]As a plastic owner (and convert) ....a bit harsh! And my wife dresses wouldn't fit me, even if I wanted to wear them.

scottar
19-07-2016, 08:06 PM
If you wear your wife's dresses when she isn't home you probably like plastic boats.

While you're on a roll stang, what about wood or steel.

up the creek
19-07-2016, 08:41 PM

i think coke and beer does taste better in a glass bottles but will take me little boat in tin or glass

up the creek
19-07-2016, 08:43 PM
113605[QUO

TE]As a plastic owner (and convert) ....a bit harsh! And my wife dresses wouldn't fit me, even if I wanted to wear them.[/QUOTE]

lol very harsh just dont get caught in ur plastic boat in ur missus dress or stang will never let it go..

Gon Fishun
19-07-2016, 08:43 PM
While you're on a roll stang, what about wood or steel.

An Oak it ain't. Or is it?

scottar
19-07-2016, 09:14 PM
An Oak it ain't. Or is it?

Dunno but I'm a bit hungry thirsty.......

kc
20-07-2016, 09:25 AM
So here's the plan, dress up in wife's frock, go fishin' and have a head on at 20 knots with any glass or tin boat 4 meter you care to put up! My little Tupperware will win, plus will outrun, outfish and outlast anything on the market. 41 mph in a 4.1 meter is a hoot! Reminds me of my youth bathtub racing.

liprippa
13-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Myusernam I agree with exactly what your saying. There is actually a plate alloy boat that does not follow the tradition hull shapes of most of todays plate boats, has a variable dead rise hull, fine entry and large reverse chines. Three angles make a dead rise average of about 24deg. I have been out in two (8mtr & 7.5mtr) and they both ride very well in the sharp NQ chop and swell outside the reef. I know large trailer boats like this should ride well but these were outstanding. The builder I am referring to is "Surecraft" in Gordonvale North Queensland.

Andy56
14-08-2016, 08:10 AM
here is my take on the subject. I have owned a quinnie 4.81m runabout and a 543rf signature, one extreeme to the other. Both were good boats. The tinnie was like a cork top on water, just up and down with the swell. It had no problems dealing with any PPB chop. Never felt unsure even in really bad weather, always nice and easy. The natural tendency was to go as fast as possible in the conditions. So naturally it banged when going too hard. Put a full load and it became a much better riding machine. My conclusion, if it was heavier i would have kept it. You cant change the laws of physics, when 450kg goes head on to 2tons of water, the water wins. Driving to the conditions, its every bit as good as a fglass boat, only slower.
the signature on the other hand was better the harder i pushed. Being a deep v, it cut through chop quite easily, however i was always conscious it was a " light" fglass boat. Some what an inbetween . Compared to friends HH 565, which just plowed through the swell, it had its own compromises.
so why am i going to buy another tinnie? The bigger boat rides better, no?
its horses for coarses. How big is big enough? Where am i going to use it? How comfortable do i want to be? How much money have i got to spend? Where can i launch it?
As an aside, coming home from Frankston on saturday i spotted a very nice rig. It looked new. Cruise craft 685 , 300 yamaha, hard top, radar all on top of a very substancial alloy trailer. Pulled along by a newish land cruiser. A perfect lotto toy. Yes , a tad jealous.