PDA

View Full Version : My new rig

Axl
10-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Just thought id throw up a couple of pics of my new rig, it's a Whittley CW1750 with a 4 stroke 100h/p Yamaha on the back sitting on a Mackay trailer. The missus and I took it down to Iluka last month for its maiden voyage and after putting the first couple of hours on the motor driving up and down the Clarence river we crossed the bar and headed up to Woody Heads to catch some fish. I now have 11 hours on the motor so its due for the first service once that is done I will then look at either trim tabs or a four blade prop as it needs some bum lift due to the weight of the 4 stroke.

It also needs a bit of weight up front to pull the bow down a touch as it rides a bit high due to the weight at the back and speaking to the dealer about this he told me that a bag of sand under the front cushion would do this as he had to do the same with his Haines which has a heavy 4 stroke on the back. When I get the missus to climb into the cabin whilst we are under weigh it pulls the nose down and improves the ride but she is a bit too heavy (sorry dear:-X) so Ill start at 20kgs or so and see how that goes. Not to keen on drilling holes in the transom so I spoke to the guys at Solas last week and they recommended a four blade that would give me the lift required whilst loosing next to no top end speed so when I can get to talk to them face to face I reckon that this is the way I will go.

This is my first glass boat after 20 years of owning tin rigs and I must say it is a nice change, it is also our first boat with a cabin and it is nice to be able to get out of the wind and the rain when you feel the need to. We have managed to get the launch and retrieval down pat but it took a bit as neither of us wanted to be the first to scratch it;D, with the tin boats I would simply push them of the trailer and rest them on the ramp till I parked the car but obliviously I cant do the with this one so it took a bit of toing and froing between the missus and I to get it right.

We are extremely happy with it non the less and I am looking forward to putting many more hours on it as time and weather permits.

Moonlighter
10-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Congratulations on the new rig, she certainly looks like a great package.

The pictures you posted dont look like it is bum heavy. In fact it looks to be sitting on its marks perfectly.

I am going to stick my neck out and suggest that the motor could be set a knotch or two too low. Because the symptoms you described are often caused by exactly that.

If you get onto the plane, med-fast cruise speed, trimmed out to the optimum position, have a look over the transom and try to look at the cav plate on the motor. If its buried way under water where you cant see it at all, then that is the telltale of a motor potentially set too deep.

up the creek
10-07-2016, 06:16 PM
nice bro... its a good feeling getting a new toy.. and very nice getting the 1 you want.. i got my little 18hp outboard lookin lonely and waiting untill i can afford a tinne to get out there, i cant wait either and excitied to get out there this summer... happy trails bro..

Noelm
10-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I am not too sure I would accept having to put a sand bag in my brand new boat to make it ride properly! As mentioned, motor height is critical, don't let the dealer sell you some kind of foil to "fix" the problem either.

Axl
10-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Congratulations on the new rig, she certainly looks like a great package.

The pictures you posted dont look like it is bum heavy. In fact it looks to be sitting on its marks perfectly.

I am going to stick my neck out and suggest that the motor could be set a knotch or two too low. Because the symptoms you described are often caused by exactly that.

If you get onto the plane, med-fast cruise speed, trimmed out to the optimum position, have a look over the transom and try to look at the cav plate on the motor. If its buried way under water where you cant see it at all, then that is the telltale of a motor potentially set too deep.

Thanks Moonlighter, I meant to have a look at the motor height when I took my dad over to the Rouse last week to get a feed of Whiting but I totally forgot.

I lifted the motor on my last rig (after advice from this site from yourself and others) to the point where the anti cav plate was just getting wet and it made the boat ride and handle heaps better.

The problem I have with this rig is that the hydraulic steering ram goes through the hull which means lifting the motor will involve elongating the hole which I don't really want to do hence the chat with Solas last week after reading on here about 4 blade props giving bum lift.

It sits well at rest as you have said but under way I feel it is a bit deep in the water, what I need to have and plan to do is have someone run along side of me on a nice day so we can film it. I may be wrong because as I've said first glass boat still getting used to it so before I rush into anything I will dot all the I's and cross all the T's first.

Axl
10-07-2016, 06:40 PM
I am not too sure I would accept having to put a sand bag in my brand new boat to make it ride properly! As mentioned, motor height is critical, don't let the dealer sell you some kind of foil to "fix" the problem either.

No Noelm that won't be happening mate, I believe foils are for tin boats not glass rigs, I will have a look at the motor height but due to the steering ram I'm thinking that the motor will be staying where it is. The sand will just push the front down a touch giving me better vision but as I said I may be reading it all wrong as I am new to glass boats.

gford001
10-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Nice looking rig mate. Whittley do make a nice looking boat.

Axl
10-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Nice looking rig mate. Whittley do make a nice looking boat.

Thanks gford001, they do make nice boats it certainly is well finished. I spent a lot of time looking before buying as I wanted something around 5.8 but I couldn't find anything on the second hand market in my price range that I was happy with.

I looked at several others but the biggest problem was that I couldn't find a newish glass boat that was Australian made.

Moonlighter
10-07-2016, 07:01 PM
No problems. Glad you were able to improve your previous boat by getting engine height set up right. I always reckon its beter to treat the root cause of the issue than treat the symptoms. Foils for me are a last resort after youve tried the best you can with the fundamentals. Some dealers however seem to use them at every opporttunity.

Though it sounds like this one might be a bit more of a challenge.

Can you post a pic when you get a chance of how that hydraulic steering is set up? Would be curious to see how they have done it, with the ram thru the hull. Is it the side mount type hydraulic?

DaveR
10-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Very handsome boat. I'm also interested in seeing the steering setup, I'm guessing they've had to work around a narrow splashwell.

Noelm
11-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Just looking at the first picture, it does seem to have a narrow section where the steering would be, but the narrow bullhorn (front mount) should have fitted easy, so, sounds like side mount was used? Axl, you don't need another boat with you to take pictures of the cav plate, just have someone drive while you just go to the back and have a look, just take care, it's safe to do so, unless you have to dangle way over the back, which doesn't look necessary.

Axl
11-07-2016, 07:40 AM
This is the only pic I have of the hydraulic ram at the moment, as you can see it is the side mount type. As has been said the splash well is narrow and after looking at the front mount ram on other boats I don't think this type of steering would have fitted. There has been a lot of discussion around motor height on here lately and over the years so I will check the motor height but if the anti cav palte is within an inch or so of the surface of the water when under way I wont be adjusting the height.

Scott Ashe
11-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Congratulations on your new boat axl.

terryc
11-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Great looking rig, the whittley is a good brand

Camhawk88
11-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Congrats on the new rig- looks nice.
I would have absolutely no faith whatsoever in that dealer. sandbags are a 1960s solution. Find another dealer if there is one in your area because that advice is coming from someone that either knows very little, cares very little or both.

DaveR
11-07-2016, 10:06 AM
This is the only pic I have of the hydraulic ram at the moment, as you can see it is the side mount type. As has been said the splash well is narrow and after looking at the front mount ram on other boats I don't think this type of steering would have fitted. There has been a lot of discussion around motor height on here lately and over the years so I will check the motor height but if the anti cav palte is within an inch or so of the surface of the water when under way I wont be adjusting the height.

Hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like the sides of the splashwell also have a slight angle to them, so even if they fitted a compact front mount it might foul when the engine is tilted. Hydrive make a very narrow model that would probably fit, although side mount is the better option as the narrow front mount units suffer from a limited range of movement. Regarding raising the engine, if they needed to they could just extend the hole slightly and use some extra-thick rubber edging (places like Clark rubber sell all sizes). Nothing to lose sleep over.

Smithy
12-07-2016, 04:47 AM
I'm a foil fan. The LZ ones are nearly the cheapest and no vices. Bias used to do them. Maybe Boating and RV took them on. About $50. Solas also do engine wedges. That will give you more tuck in angle on take off. Ask about their opinion on them too. A 17'er you should be able to trim moving eskies and stuff around. Tabs are great but more of a mission to fit and more for 6m+ boats IMHO.

koastal
12-07-2016, 06:58 AM
Nice boats Whittleys

I personally would stick a permatrim on it also. It will increase your trim range.

100hp also sounds a bit marginal power wise. Does it achieve the specified RPM

Axl
12-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Nice boats Whittleys

I personally would stick a permatrim on it also. It will increase your trim range.

100hp also sounds a bit marginal power wise. Does it achieve the specified RPM

Yeah koastal it goes through the rev range no worries, I haven't let it sit on the rev limiter as yet due to the run in period but I've had it revving at 5900rpm for a short time, WOT is 6000rpm.

When I throttle up it pulls out of the water on to the plane with hardly any effort so the current prop is correct for the set up at the moment, I'm thinking I need to do a few more hours in it before I make any permanent decisions.

Once I check out exactly where the motor is running height wise whilst under way Ill be able to make a decision from there.

DaveR
12-07-2016, 12:48 PM
100hp also sounds a bit marginal power wise.

I'd say 100hp is pretty much spot on for a 17ft craft. 18ft+ you'd start looking at 115/130.

The Black Unicorn
12-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Mate that's a great looking little boat but there is no way I would be accepting the issue of ride. Dealers are meant to sell you a boat with it set up for optimum performance. For them to tell you to stick a sand bag in the front is crazy. Go back tell them you are not happy and get them to sort it. Its your hard earned after all.

j_man_84
13-07-2016, 06:00 AM
nice one mate enjoy!